• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mixing down strings

Share/Bookmark

Mixing down strings

God, I\'m about to pull my hair out!!! I just can\'t seem to get my mixes to sound good on other sterio systems (car, home) except mine. I\'m mixing everything through my Mackie HR824s using a Delta 1010 and a Mackie 1202 board and everything sounds great on my system, but when I play it on other systems I always seem to be lacking a couple of frequencies to get it to sound good on other systems. I think the NFX reverb is kind of making my stuff sound bad too. It doesn\'t sound to bad for some music, but for orchestral string stuff, I just can\'t seem to create a decent concert hall.
    Does anyone have any advice on mixing strings or have some decent reverb settings for a concert hall for the NFX in Gigastudio? I\'d appreciate any help. My ears are shot now...

Re: Mixing down strings

Just a quick note: don´t use the NFX effects. You will get more voices and better sound. *g* There are great direct x reverbs out there. Waves Renessaince Reverb f.i. Use those.

Damon,

I don\'t have a solution for you, but I can sure sympathize. I had exactly the same problem. Every verb I tried caused some unpleasant artifact, and I didn\'t find any decent way to compensate. Like I said elsewhere, so far my best results have come from the SBLive verb. I have a suspicion that string orchestra sounds are especially susceptible to verb problems - though after I\'ve got some experience with other types of ensemble I may think otherwise.

Good luck in your search....

May want to burn a DAT and send it out for mastering.

Hint! www.audiovisionsonline.com

Just a shameless plug.

In any case, best of luck in all you do.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Damon:
    God, I\'m about to pull my hair out!!! I just can\'t seem to get my mixes to sound good on other sterio systems (car, home) except mine. I\'m mixing everything through my Mackie HR824s using a Delta 1010 and a Mackie 1202 board and everything sounds great on my system, but when I play it on other systems I always seem to be lacking a couple of frequencies to get it to sound good on other systems. I think the NFX reverb is kind of making my stuff sound bad too. It doesn\'t sound to bad for some music, but for orchestral string stuff, I just can\'t seem to create a decent concert hall.
    Does anyone have any advice on mixing strings or have some decent reverb settings for a concert hall for the NFX in Gigastudio? I\'d appreciate any help. My ears are shot now...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    Francis Belardino
    Sound Designer
    Audio Visions, LTD.
    Wilmington, DE.
    www.audiovisionsonline.com

Damon.
    Do yourself a favor and buy a good reverb box like a Lexicon PCM90/91. Better yet, rent one (or go for a 480L instead) and see what it will do for your mixes then you\'ll understand why they cost so much more than plug-ins and econo-boxes.
    -IO

I\'ve tried some of the software based reverbs and I always go back to my Lexicon. I find the software based reverbs to be on the harsh side. The Lexicon is nice and smooth.

Thanks for your replies guys. How can I use a reverb box with Gigastudio? Everything I do is internal. I burn CDs from my CD drive in my computer. I have my line outs going from my Delta 1010 into my Mackie 1202 and out of my Mackie into my powered Mackie HR824 monitors. Can I route the reverb box to go into my soundcard somehow?

You have two solutions:

1) Play your music through the Mackie mixer, add the reverb there, send it back and record it to your soundcard at the same time.

2) Capture the audio from Gigastudio/Sampler. Then use a program like CoolEdit to play your stuff to your Mackie mixer, add the reverb, and send either the reverb alone (best) or the full signal BACK to your soundcard.

You will connect your reverb using AUX sends and returns on the Mackie mixer.

Oh you have a 1010... I guess you can just record the reverb separately while capturing the file then. Or you can even record both reverb and dry signal separately using 2x2 inputs.

Better yet, just run a digital signal loop via the spdif on your card into the spdif of a PCM90. I\'m assuming that your card has spdif I/O. That way, there\'s no generation loss from resampling.

-IO

Go Back to forum