• Register
  • Help

Topic: CDxtract and Roland Conversion

CDxtract and Roland Conversion

I\'m new to GigaStudio and am experiencing difficulty translating my Roland library via CDxtract v.3.4. Problem #1: I just converted \"Orchestral Family vols. 1 & 2\". On playback, many of the sustaining strings and brass have mutated into a sound that is difficult to describe. They are very thin, somewhat distorted and end in a loud, abrupt release.What gives? Problem #2: How do you easily recreate a \"performance\" from a Roland disc? For example, a converted drum kit performance appears in Gigastudio as separate patches that somehow have to be reassembled to playback on a single midi channel.

Re: CDxtract and Roland Conversion

I think I had a similar problem with the \'thin\' sounds. It relates to odd conversion which invokes unnecessary filter parameters. This can easily be overcome by getting the sound up in the editor, selecting all regions, turning the filter off, and saving again. (If it looks off already, you may have to select a filter setting and then turn it off for the change to register). I know there may be a few sounds which were designed to use the filter to some degree, but it doesn\'t matter that much with most of them. If you\'re picky, have a listen to the Roland sampler and recreate the filter settings.

I wonder if this problem is a result of the Gigastudio not having a filter envelope amount control, whereas the Roland does (as do most other samplers).

Performance replication is a different matter. Bernard aims to put this feature in CDxtract, but hasn\'t yet.

What Roland used to do with Performances was to get each sound (eg Kick drum)up in its own patch with its own dedicated part of the performance. Gigastudio simply doesn\'t allow this because it doesn\'t let you assign a midi channel for each \'part\'. They\'re preset - part one = channel one, part two = channel two, etc.

If you want to combine the various patches into the one instrument, that\'s possible.

In the case of drum kits, Roland\'s idea was to dedicate a whole patch to one or two sounds across only a couple of keys. The idea was that they could supply many patches, each with a different version of that drum sound assigned to the same notes, so that you could load them all up into memory and audition, say, different snares against the rest of the kit as it played from a sequence.

This minimal patch approach might make it easy to put full kits together in Gigastudio.

1. Load all the patches you want to combine into the editor (or as many as possible, and add the rest in a second pass).

2. Use the new region copy and paste to copy sounds from one patch to another until you\'ve recreated what Roland was doing with several separate parts, but on a single part.

You lose the ability to do auditioning in exactly the same manner, but at least your drumkit will only use up one slot in Gigastudio instead of eight!

The other way around this is pretty cludgy and depends on your sequencer.

Stick each of the patches onto its own channel in Giga (kick patch on ch.1, snare on ch.2 etc.,) Then, if your sequencer has it, use the multi channel record option to address all the drum channels simultaneously.
    In Logic you simply select record on a bunch of tracks, assign them to whatever channels you need to, and you\'re playing all those channels live.

When you play bottom C it goes out on all (say) eight channels, but because only the ch.1 kick patch has a sound assigned to that key, you only hear the kick drum.

This does the same kind of thing that Roland was doing - but you need that simultaneous multi channel addressing function on your sequencer.

Good luck, and make sure you let Amazing know about the screwy conversion. I\'m sure they\'ll sort it before long.

Thanks for your help. Is performance replication possible with Translator or any other conversion program?

Roland Performances are a makeup of 1 to 32 Patches, which is the basic Instrument unit of the Roland. You can place any number of Patches on seperate or identical MIDI channels, set up overriding keyranges, tuning, basic filter settings - any number of things. They are quite versatile.

Translator translates Performances not simply as the seperate Patches contained, but writes a single .gig file with all the Patches contained within - plus combined one Instruments that were programmed on the same MIDI channels. It also translates the applicable parameter and tuning overrides.

If applicable, Translator write a Giga Performace file (.prf) that exactly duplicates the setup of the Roland Performance.

I don\'t want to speak for CDXtract, but based on our research, we\'ve noticed that when the Roland programs the filter to high-pass, CDXtract doesn\'t always handle it properly. That\'s my guess why you are getting a thin sound. Many Roland strings are set that way to eliminate the low-frequency noise that comes from close-miking bowed violins.

Giga does make it difficult to translate to the right values, since the parameters tend toward linear mathamatical taper, rather than logarithmic audio taper. With Translator, we\'ve set up curves not only with the rate parameters but also the amplitude parameters.

On a sound where you are getting that tinny sound, adjust the Cutoff and that should help.

Garth Hjelte
    Chicken Systems Customer Support
    Home of \"Translator\"

Go Back to forum