• Register
  • Help

Topic: Demo Version of IO?

Share/Bookmark

Demo Version of IO?

Is there a trial version of IO? If not, I think it would be a good idea.

I am a long-time registered GPO user, and may be interested in IO.

But I would like to try it first, to see how it works for me.

It is nice to listen to the demo pieces, but that is no substitute at all for trying out the program, and to see how it works on my computer, for my usages, etc. One can hear nice demos of any orchestral library. Since one uses IO in a different way than GPO and most other orchestral libraries, it is not just a matter of hearing the sound quality of a demo , but of trying it out, seeing how it goes with one's workflow, etc.

I don't like crippled trial versions, with features removed, extraneous noises added, etc., as one cannot really then see what the product is like with all its features intact. Better to have a time-limited trial, that stops working after 30 days, or whatever the time period is. (I would say at least 30 days. That does not mean that one is trying out the product all day for thirty days. In one month, one might only have time to try it out once or twice in a month. So I would give it at least that long.

So, what is the possibility of a trial verison of IO coming out some time soon.

Not to make excuses for anyone, but from what I have heard, the reason some people use pirated versions of software, is because they want to try it before buying it, and there is no trial version available. They may intend to buy it if they like it--but once it is on their system working for free, it may be tempting to keep the pirated version instead. Therefore, I think that if all manufacturers provided full-featured trial versions of their product, with sufficient time to fully try it out, that might possibly reduce piracy.

Question Re: Demo Version of IO?

I second that comment: A 30-day trial version of IO would be very nice! It is very difficult to get a clear understanding of the possibilities of such a library without first extensively trying it.

Iam Nemo
    GPO4 and JABB3 registered user

Re: Demo Version of IO?

As far as I can tell, if Garritan were to release a demo version of their product, they would be one of the only few sample library companies that did. For some reason, it's just not something sample library companies do, not even the big companies like Native Instruments. Not sure why though. What I'm curious about is how well does this increase the flexibility of creating music if I were using this with GPO. I would love to hear somebody come out with a demo that uses both.
    Garam Heo, Contemporary Christian Artist
    Music produced by Christopher and Craig Reeves
    http://www.garamheo.com
    http://www.youtube.com/GaramHeoMusic
    SUBSCRIBE TODAY AND JOIN OUR MAILING LIST FOR A FREE MUSIC DOWNLOAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Reeves View Post
    ...What I'm curious about is how well does this increase the flexibility of creating music if I were using this with GPO. I would love to hear somebody come out with a demo that uses both.
    Hi, Craig - A few months ago I did some scene change cues for a local production of "The Lion in Winter." I used IO along with GPO, World, JABB and CMB. Here's the thread where I posted the MP3s:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...estra+with+gpo

That's not quite what you were asking for, but it's what I have handy. When I was doing demos earlier for IO, the thrust was to show the Library off on its own, so I didn't do any hybrid projects.

Randy

Maybe they can set something up with http://www.try-sound.com/ . After I found out about GIO and started hanging out on this site, I heard about Symphobia and Orchestral Essentials, and I was able to try them out online. There are problems with latency on the site, so everything goes more slowly than you'd like, but you actually can demo the software, which I think is all to the good.
    Best,
    Tom Smith
    www.tomsmithonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Reeves View Post
    As far as I can tell, if Garritan were to release a demo version of their product, they would be one of the only few sample library companies that did. For some reason, it's just not something sample library companies do, not even the big companies like Native Instruments. Not sure why though. What I'm curious about is how well does this increase the flexibility of creating music if I were using this with GPO. I would love to hear somebody come out with a demo that uses both.
    True, Craig, it would be unusual, but it would be good, and I think could increase sales of the product.

I can think of one company that has time-limited downloadable trial versions of their sample libraries--Sonivox. The problem with theirs--only a three days trial. The thinking might be--"3 days is plenty of time to try out a program". Well, they are probably envisioning someone spending all day for three full days, trying out their program. They don't consider that peopkle are busy with everything else in their lives. Someone might install it, planing to try it out some time in the next three days, and then they end up not having any time to try it in those three days, and then cannot try it. Or they might just have a half hour free, and that may not be enough time to try it out. Therefore, I think trials should be for at least 30 days. If someone envisions someone trying it out all day for 30 days straight, they may think that is too long for a trial. But in reality, a person might only have one hour free in that 30 day period to try it out.

I think too, that with a library like IO, one is not only interested in how the samples sound, but the workflow,etc., so one really needs to try it, not just hear demos.

I have read more than one post in a forum, of someone who downloaded a pirated sample library, because that was the only way they could try out the product, and they weren't going to spend $1000 on a non-refundable product that might not work for them. (Thankfully, the Garritan products are not that expensive, but still on might not want to spend $150 for a product that one may not like.) I would guess too, that once someone has a pirated version on their system, if it is working fine, although they intended to use it only as a trial, they may be tempted to keep it and save their money from buying the product. Therefore, if that is the case, having a fully-functional time-limited trial version of the product available (with sufficient time), could cause such a person to never download the pirated version, and be legitimate to begin with, by trying an evaluation version of the product.

In that way, I think if sample library developers would provide such fully functional evaluatoin versions, that might reduce piracy and lead to more sales. Garritan could be a leader in that area if done with IO, then others might follow. (Unfortunately though, with the buyout by MakeMusic, I think that may be less likely than if it were Gary making the decision.)

Go Back to forum