• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dan Dean Solo Strings review

Share/Bookmark

Dan Dean Solo Strings review

Well since nobody replied to my old posts on this CD, I figured I\'d let everyone know my thoughts on it since I bought it.
    I bought the CD yesterday and received it FedEx today. I first loaded up the \'arco violin\'. Beautiful and rich!!! Very realistic sounding and beautifully played. I don\'t know what the Miroslav solo violin sounds like, but I was very impressed with Dan Deans. The arco violin is not out of tune in any of the keys. I had read past posts about this library being way out of tune. It\'s not. The only thing I noticed slightly out of tune was the F5 \'whole step trill\' on the violin. The demo that came with Gigastudio had a viola that was a slight bit out of tune in the C5 register, but this one is not.
    I will say I haven\'t tried using other sounds with the string sounds yet to compare the tunings, but the strings themselves are tuned very well.
    The only thing I was disappointed with was the violin and cello only sustain for about 4 1/2 seconds then stop. The viola sustains a bit longer, but has a second bow sampled to make it sustain longer. Longer sustained notes would have made this library absolutely fantastic.
    I personally don\'t think the demo of this library did this CD justice. The demo wasn\'t bad at all, but the samples sound so much better at your fingertips. Especially for nice dark passages.
    All of the solo instruments \'pizzicato\' sound very nice. The \'tremelo\' strings sound great to, except for the fact that they to only sustain for about 4 1/2 seconds. I can\'t comment on the \'spicatto\' strings since I haven\'t tried them out yet, but I\'m sure they sound great.
    I am pleased with the CD and for 135.00, I think it\'s a great deal.
    Thanks Dan, nice job!

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 12-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 12-23-2000).]

Re: Dan Dean Solo Strings review

I won\'t buy a library if the samples are this short. The notes need to be at least 15-20 seconds in length in all unlooped libraries. Unfortunately this takes up alot of memory. I still prefer loops in this case. Brass and woodwinds can sustain notes for a long time. I could sustain a note for 90 seconds on an oboe!

Following up on my review, I found that all of the solo strings are in tune with my other instruments. There might be one or two notes that start out a little wobbly, but end up in the right pitch.
    I also stated that the \'tremelos\' only sustained for 4 1/2 seconds. I was wrong. The cello tremelo sustains for about 6 1/2 seconds maybe even a little longer.
    I agree that it would have been nice to have the strings sustain longer , but the samples sound very nice and were recorded very well.
    All I know is I\'ve finally gotten some new inspiration with these sounds

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haydn:
    I won\'t buy a library if the samples are this short. The notes need to be at least 15-20 seconds in length in all unlooped libraries. Unfortunately this takes up alot of memory. I still prefer loops in this case. Brass and woodwinds can sustain notes for a long time. I could sustain a note for 90 seconds on an oboe!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would anyone need string samples more than what any human is physically capable of playing. In order to have 15 to 20 second unlooped samples without changing the direction of bow movement, you would need a bow several feet in length and a musician with a most unusual build......spider like arms, etc. If you want to simulate this quick change in bow direction movement in order to play tied whole notes as a real string musician would do, simply sequence two or more whole notes one after the other and do a quick and subtle fade out and fade in between the whole notes. I would imagine this would make for a fairly realistic effect of a real string musician. Also, make sure you have full midi tick count for each whole note in order not to have a noticable break between the tied whole notes.

Since I´m a violinplayer I tried to play a beautiful strong tone as long as possible. It lasted about 5 seconds. But I can play a pianissimo for about 15 seconds. So if you make music in fortissimo I guess the Dan Dean library is a good choice.

Gunnar

The solo arco violin, viola, and cello sustain for 5 seconds. I timed it last night! The CD sounds fantastic and I highly recommend it. The natural vibrato in the samples are beautifully played and indeed some of the most real solo strings I\'ve heard.

Hi,

I\'ll soon buy solo strings and I would like to know how do the DanDean compare to the Advanced Orchestra Solo Strings? Do they have as much different playing techniques?

Thanks

yrjiok

Go Back to forum