• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Quantum Leap RARE INSTRUMENTS

Share/Bookmark

Quantum Leap RARE INSTRUMENTS

Quantum Leap Rare Instruments is STILL growing! The new instrument list is: Middle Eastern Fiddle, Alpenhorn, Gedulka(Bulgarian fiddle), Duduk(Armenian flute), Hurdy Gurdy ,Taiko drums and Erhu(2 stringed Chinese fiddle) and maybe more.

[This message has been edited by Nick Phoenix (edited 12-06-2000).]

Re: Quantum Leap RARE INSTRUMENTS

Hey Nick:

I am looking forward to this collection, man. I am still enjoying Quantum Leap Brass so much! How about some aboriginal or s.pacific type instruments, man...?

Take Care,

leadbelly.

I have a rare instrument that I\'d like to get a good sample of. I was listening to Within You Without You, George Harrison\'s tune on Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. Now, every GM synth on the planet has some sort of Sitar sound, tablas are fairly easy to come by... even tambouras are out there (as on the Proteus 3). However, the instrument that is featured most heavily on this tune is the dilruba, which is sort of a bowed Sitar. There is also an instrument called a svaramandal (spelling varies), which I believe is responsible for the plucked arpeggio at the beginning of the song before the tablas come in. Given the heavy influence of indian classical music on psychedelic rock, it seems odd that there are no sample libraries devoted to indian instruments. There is a \"Roots of India,\" but this is all percussion loops. Someone should fill this gap, and a \"rare instruments\" collection seems to me like a good place to start!

Personally, I\'d love to see some more tabla multisamples. I\'m not very happy with the ones on the new \"Ethno World\" CD. As you said, \"Roots of India\" is all loops, but to be honest with you I can\'t find one loop that is needed for any of my songs. I would just rather try and make my own loops if I had good multisamples of them. If you do decide to put them on there, please tune them!

We are currently putting together a World Percussion Library. It is taking some time because of ALL the instruments. So far there are over 200! No non percussion instruments though so I\'ll be looking forward to Nick\'s library also!

Donnie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JWink:
    I have a rare instrument that I\'d like to get a good sample of. I was listening to Within You Without You, George Harrison\'s tune on Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. Now, every GM synth on the planet has some sort of Sitar sound, tablas are fairly easy to come by... even tambouras are out there (as on the Proteus 3). However, the instrument that is featured most heavily on this tune is the dilruba, which is sort of a bowed Sitar. There is also an instrument called a svaramandal (spelling varies), which I believe is responsible for the plucked arpeggio at the beginning of the song before the tablas come in. Given the heavy influence of indian classical music on psychedelic rock, it seems odd that there are no sample libraries devoted to indian instruments. There is a \"Roots of India,\" but this is all percussion loops. Someone should fill this gap, and a \"rare instruments\" collection seems to me like a good place to start!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the input. I have been looking into bowed Indian instruments, but haven\'t had any luck yet. Sill trying!

I may have found a dilruba player, but he charges thousands of dollars per hour and I don\'t know if he will agree to be sampled.. Apparently, there are very few people left in the world that play bowed Indian instruments. But I am determined.

Nick,

go to Varanasi,India. bring a DAT machine and a mic and you\'ll find lots of string players. without doubt.

Would love to have a glass harmonica (This ethereal sound is very film friendly) marching snares & toms(inerr city marching hi taught snares and melodic toms), scary Film perc( super ball gong Ambient Sounds,etc), good wood flutes- (multi articulations), uilleann pipes, Indian Harmonium, and a really good chromatic harmonica (multi articulations).

[This message has been edited by dsmusic (edited 12-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by dsmusic (edited 12-12-2000).]

How about some experimental, tweaked out sounds also? Like treated pianos, treated harps, not to distorted and ugly sounding but playable (maybe not on this CD, but another idea for another experimental CD). A Bass Marimba sample would be really cool too.

Go Back to forum