• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone use soundfonts along w/ giga?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone use soundfonts along w/ giga?

Hey everyone,

I am curious about soundfonts. I do not have a soundblaster card and it is my understanding that soundfonts are for soundblaster cards. Then again I have heard that cakewalk supports them. Anyway, I have no intent on getting a soundblaster card. I have a delta1010 and would never think of settling for anything less. I also have gigastudio 160 and plan on using it for my midi playback needs. The question then is this - what exactly are soundfonts, and why would I ever want to use them given that I use the delta1010 and giga and there are plenty of high quality giga sample cd\'s?

Thanks,

Brian

Re: Anyone use soundfonts along w/ giga?

Soundfonts are something like gig files, but much smaller (they have to fit entirely in RAM). A huge sound font would be 48 megs (I\'ve seen a couple of GM sound fonts that are bigger). You don\'t need a Soundblaster card to take advantage of them, since the GSt instrument editor can load them and convert them to gigs. There are lots of free sound fonts floating around on the web; they\'re mostly pretty cheesy but there are a few usable ones. There are also some sound fonts for sale, and they\'re generally not expensive, but I\'ve never bought one so I don\'t know how good they are. I don\'t see much point, since gig files are so much better. With the free ones you have to be careful about copyright, of course.
    http://www.hammersound.net/ is one good source for free sound fonts.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bhuether:
    Hey everyone,

I am curious about soundfonts. I do not have a soundblaster card and it is my understanding that soundfonts are for soundblaster cards. Then again I have heard that cakewalk supports them. Anyway, I have no intent on getting a soundblaster card. I have a delta1010 and would never think of settling for anything less. I also have gigastudio 160 and plan on using it for my midi playback needs. The question then is this - what exactly are soundfonts, and why would I ever want to use them given that I use the delta1010 and giga and there are plenty of high quality giga sample cd\'s?

Thanks,

Brian
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by ursatz (edited 11-26-2000).]

There are two reasons that you might want to use Soundfonts with Gigastudio: (1) cost - the average Soundfont Sample CD is way cheaper than the average Gigastudio Sample CD; and (2) variety - there are a lot of Soundfont CD\'s and free Soundfonts available that can fill in where your Gigasample CD library may be lacking.

The two reasons against using Soundfonts are: (1) they generally do not sound as good; (2) there may be translation problems.

I still use some Soundfonts along with GigaStudio as I have not been happy with the results when the Soundfonts were converted. I have a CD called The Orchestra by Sonido Media that I use a few of the brass sounds from. They blend well with other brass samples I have. I like to use different sounds when building trumpet, trombone and french horn sections. I get a much fatter sound this way.

Can anyone recommend a file converter that converts soundfont files correctly as I will probably use this library for awhile?

I still like SoundFonts for drums. Being able to put different amounts of reverb on different drums is a whole lot easier with soundfonts on an SB Live than it is in GS.

The two file convertors that go directly to Giga would be Translator and CDXtract. Awave can do SF to DLS, but I doubt simple DLS will handle the complexity of the SoundFont. (BTW, SF and DLS are merging in a future format - that\'s to be decided by Microsoft and Emu.)

I can\'t speak for CDXtract, but Translator does SF->Giga real well at this point. There isn\'t too much that SF can throw at the Giga structure that Giga can\'t handle (except massive multiple layers).

If you want better performance from your SF\'s in GS, or at least think it could be better - I can do this, send your SF in question to me at support@chickensys.com and we\'ll convert it straight off Translator for you - we\'ll send it back and you can see if it suits your needs enough. That way you can make an educated decision.

------------------
    Garth Hjelte
    Chicken Systems Customer Support
    Home of \"Translator\"

Go Back to forum