• Register
  • Help

Topic: So what's the best pipe organ sample?

Share/Bookmark

So what\'s the best pipe organ sample?

Any opinions? I\'m going to use it for Bach, mainly. Also, is there a place where I can trade samples with folks out there. Say, a piano sample for an organ sample? (I know I can\'t do that here.)

John Grant http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/john_lewis_grant.html

Re: So what\'s the best pipe organ sample?

Hi John

About trading samples: Be sure to check the copyright statements for the samples. Often you buy a license for using the samples, not so much the samples cd itself. This license is often personal, and can\'t be transferred to another person, that is, you are not allowed to sell or trade it.
    When it comes to pipeorgan cd\'s, check out the Post Organs at www.biggagiggas.com

Worra

Post Pipe organ samples are the best. There is a great variety.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by john grant:
    [B]Any opinions? I\'m going to use it for Bach, mainly. Also, is there a place where I can trade samples with folks out there. Say, a piano sample for an organ sample? (I know I can\'t do that here.)

The best pipe organ samples at the moment are the \"Symphonic Organ Samples\" by Peter Ewers. Unfortunately there are only 5 GigaSampler instruments in this library but the quality is superb. Hopefully Peter will release some more soon as I know that he has made many more recordings.

The Post organ Toolkit is has just been released for gigaStudio which contains many more samples which are also very good.

Hope this helps

John

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by john grant:
    Any opinions? I\'m going to use it for Bach, mainly. Also, is there a place where I can trade samples with folks out there. Say, a piano sample for an organ sample? (I know I can\'t do that here.)

John Grant http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/john_lewis_grant.html
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the second time in the last couple of weeks I have seen someone post a request in this forum seeking to trade samples. I have some comments I would like to make regarding this. People who are in the business of producing professional quality instrument sample libraries do not do this in their spare time just for fun. It is a serious business just like any other business which some professionals engage in, in order to make a modest living. Professionals who do this are more than just hobbyist who have invested less than $5000 in recording equipment. Many professionals who produce quality instrument sample libraries have invested well over $100,000 plus in their business. Many of these professionals are college educated and some have post graduate degrees as well. I assure you that these professionals do not get rich. Most of them live rather modestly. Many of them are struggling to support a family, drive a modest automobile, live in a modest home, and see to it that their children can have a college education.

If everybody contemplated the idea of trading samples, it would be a major hardship for these professionals who provide quality instrument sample libraries for us to enjoy. Under such conditions, it would be a struggle for these professionals to live in a cheap apartment and eat out at McDonalds once a month.

From now on, Please give serious consideration to this.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by john grant:
    [B]Any opinions? I\'m going to use it for Bach, mainly. Also, is there a place where I can trade samples with folks out there. Say, a piano sample for an organ sample? (I know I can\'t do that here.)

The best pipe organ samples at the moment are the \"Symphonic Organ Samples\" by Peter Ewers. Unfortunately there are only 5 GigaSampler instruments in this library but the quality is superb. Hopefully Peter will release some more soon as I know that he has made many more recordings.

The Post organ Toolkit is has just been released for gigaStudio which contains many more samples which are also very good.

Hope this helps

John

P.S I am not willing to trade samples. I only want to encourage people to buy the current professionally produced organ samples. This will then motivate investment into producing further samples.

[This message has been edited by JohnEB (edited 11-24-2000).]

Don\'t get me wrong about trading samples. I do not mean making a copy of, say, a piano sample, and trading that for a copy of an organ sample. I mean trading an ORIGINAL for an ORIGINAL. I\'ve bought ALL my samples, probably 1000 US worth. I just don\'t use some. If I am being naive here, somebody please tell me. Of course, I can appreciate the copyright argument made in an earlier post, and I am not going to violate it where it applies.

I recorded two CD\'s of organ music using Reality a couple of years ago. I used samples from \"Cathedral Organs\" (Propeller Island) and used the audio CD and spent much time looping the samples. They have 11 registrations of a 1900-vintage Sauer in Halle, Germany, sampled every 3rd note. They also have an Akai version ($250 vs. $100 for the audio), but I did this before Gigasampler was on the market and I had no easy way of converting and using Akai samples. I also used some samples from McGill University Master Samples (a von Beckerath Organ in Montreal) that is also an audio CD (I paid $50 through McGill University). Also, there is a great 2-CD collection of 2 Cavaille-Coll organs in France called Church Organs, Version 2 in Akai format (over 100 registrations of varying quality, but some highly useful stuff) produced by USB (Universal Sound Bank) in Paris. I also have the Post CD which has a lot of useful stuff. I have been working to build a monster organ that involves much time to tune samples and get everything just so. My CD\'s are at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000ICRE/viennawoodsmusic or http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000ICRF/viennawoodsmusic. More background on the music contained on them is at http://home.netcom.com/~tleich/recordings.html.

Tom Leich

[This message has been edited by tleich (edited 12-01-2000).]

Another consideration with organ samples is looping. I understand that the Ewers organ samples, which I don\'t own, are not looped. This is problematic if you are planning on playing real organ music, as there are sometimes pedal points (not always played by the pedals) that go on for many measures or pages or even whole pieces. A sample that arbitrarily cuts off after 10, 20 or 30 seconds wouldn\'t work with such a piece. (A good example is in the Bach Toccata in F.) Also, any serious rendering of complex organ music will require a variety of samples, including a number of solo stops and also some ensembles (tutti or pleno, fonds, anches, etc.). Thus, collections that include a wide range of registrations give a much better starting point for being able to achieve a realistic sound. Post (http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/...kit-Piano.html) and Church Organs (http://www.univers-sons.fr/cgi-bin/usb/usounds.cgi for a French description) provide many quality sounds. Also, an English description of Church Organs, which has many errors, is at http://www.timespace.com/ts_cat/keyboard/church_org2.htm. For example, the second CD is a second Cavaille-Coll organ, not a German organ.

Tom Leich

vrsound.com
    3D pipes

looped samples with reverbs on note offs. extremely real, extremely big.

Go Back to forum