• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Saintly Fantasy

Share/Bookmark

Saintly Fantasy

This is a free fantasy for organ, on a very familiar tune. Eight or so minutes in length. It is written as 4 short movements,but with very slight modification could easily be considered as a one movement piece. The mp3 uses gpo organ.

Saintly Fantasy for Organ [Complete]

Richard

edit, 28 Feb: New complete version just uploaded, 2:45 pm. No longer 4 movements, all blended into a single movement, other assorted changes to make it a bit less klutzy to perform.

For an abridged version, see below.

Re: Saintly Fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    This is a free fantasy for organ, on a very familiar tune. Eight or so minutes in length. It is written as 4 short movements,but with very slight modification could easily be considered as a one movement piece. The mp3 uses gpo organ.

Saintly Fantasy for Organ

Richard
    --! - My scenario for this: A roller rink or ball park organist has gone off the deep end while playing, and they're trying to drag him away from the keyboard, but he fights them off tenaciously and keeps up his madcap improvisation, - much to the delight of some of the more adventurous souls in the audience.

--!

You continue to push the boundaries of organ music, Richard, and I admire that. Maybe 8 minutes plus is beyond the limit of sustainability for this - well, that's my thought anyway, that as a piece it could be more effective at half the length.

But it was still--very interesting!

Randy

Thanks, Randy. You have a good point about the length. This version is already cut from about 12 minutes. It has occurred to me that the two polyphonic sections could be cut in half.

Richard

After considering Randy's comments, I remembered one of my basic rules of composition, "a composer's best friend is his eraser".

The original link is still valid for the Long version. Below is the abridged version, shortened by a bit more than half.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    After considering Randy's comments, I remembered one of my basic rules of composition, "a composer's best friend is his eraser".

The original link is still valid for the Long version. Below is the new version, shortened by a bit more than half.

Richard
    Oh my! I wasn't meaning to offer an especially important observation, but no matter what your motivation was for changing the length, I'm glad you're happy with the shorter length. I had a listen - It probably Does work better now. Well then, fine!

Randy

Well Richard,

I listened to the full length version and my mind did start to wander a bit so I'll have to listen to the shortened version.

But it did me time to imagine a scenario where humanity has been wiped from the face of the earth and all that is left are their superior intellect androids and a recording of The Saints. So the androids build a large pipe organ and spend eternity creating music within the structure of this one song. Some irony to this I guess.

Thanks for posting this!

Phil

Fascinating, Phil!

Richard

Well, it was fun! It took me a minute or so to discern the main theme. After that, some images came to me, unbidden -- a camp revival with banjo and washboard and upright bass and maybe harmonica. Or dueling banjos (a favorite of mine).

All this is to say, this piece made me feel uplifted, and put me in a good humor too.

I enjoyed this.

Thanks!
    Karen

Well, thank you, Karen. I am pleased that this work made you feel good. That is the main purpose of the work, and a powerful lot of work it was. Thanks for listening and commenting.

Richard

Being an old dixieland player of many years ago, this brings back memories of playing song many times. I never heard it done the same way twice and neither did the groups I played in ever play it the same way twice. It is nice to hear an organ version doing variations on this. Thanks for the listen (long version or not) it was fun to listen to.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast