• Register
  • Help

Topic: PLEASE HELP!!!! I'm new and need advise!!!!

Share/Bookmark

PLEASE HELP!!!! I\'m new and need advise!!!!

Sorry for asking that question here (but NO answers in the hardware department) but as users you might be able to help me:

Which midi-controllers do you use. I wonder which controller is good for what instruments. The Yamaha WX 5 wind-controller for example: Is it just the best joice for Brass-parts (if at all) or is it even good for Strings, and Guitar-Solos or Bass lines. Anybody out there using a guitar-to-midi-converter (Yamaha G 50 for example): what exactly can it be used for??? Or are you all able to write a composition in notes, put them with a mouse in Cubase, Cakewalk or Logic and then have your complete music done. I don\'t think you do: So: What medium do you use to get your music into the computer, to get great music (anybody ever used the Kurzweil Expressionmate RM 1???). With regard to Drum-tracks for example: Is a little keyboard enough for producing great drum tracks or is an external drum-machine with pads still the best solution??? (I wonder if I can sell my Boss DR 770 if I get some drum libraries and a keyboard). And now one question that has possibly been asked before quite often, but: which is the best sequencer to use with Gigasampler/Gigastudio??? Anybody using Samplitude??? Is its midi-implementation enough for making midi-music with Giga. What are all those additional features in the other sequencers good for (until today I have only used usual hard disk recording with \"real instruments\". You see: I\'m new to the subject and need all your help!!!)

One last question: Somewhere on the list somebody advised not to get Gigastudio as Nemesys \"isn\'t\" very good with support and answering questions send to their tech-department. Any thoughts on that: Is that true. Should one possibly better get Logic Audio and its new EXS 24-Sampler???

Thanks in advance

Harry

------------------
    O.H.

Re: PLEASE HELP!!!! I\'m new and need advise!!!!

OH

Most of us are keyboard players, so we use a keyboard, but if you\'re a good wind player or drummer - there\'s nothing stopping you from using the appropriate midi controller as an input device.

At this stage I don\'t think most midi to guitar converters are up to it if you don\'t want to learn to play within the limitations of the converter.

The general wisdom is to put Gigastudio on own computer rather than have it compete with an audio recorder for resources.

I don\'t know Samplitude, but Cubase, Logic and Cakewalk are all very capable midi/audio recorders. Any of them will keep you busy for quite a while. They\'ve all bulked out over the last few years (a bit like Microsoft Word), so they\'ve got a huge list of features which many would call superfluous - but you never know when you might need one of those little trick options.

Nemesys tech support is up and down. I think they\'re probably understaffed for the level of support that their product deserves, but they do eventually answer emails and they can be extremely helpful. Mind you, when the Gigastudio has broken, and you have a job to
    deliver tomorrow, not getting an answer to your crisis email for a week isn\'t much help.

There are some major advantages of Gigastudio over the EXS24 - -or any other sampler on the planet for that matter - not least of which is the fact that there is virtually no limit to the size of your instruments.

If you\'re just fiddling around and a sampler is a minor peripheral in your musical world, maybe a simple plugin like the EXS24 will do the job. If you\'re heavily into building songs dependant on emulating traditional instruments, I can\'t think of a more capable sampler than Gigastudio - BUT make sure you get some intelligent help configuring the PC to best accommodate the software, it\'s not like installing a VST plugin.

Samplitude is a fabulous audio recording/editing program but in my opinion, its midi capabilites are useless.

I use Cakewalk for midi, record Giga captures to disk and then import them into Samplitude. Works great for me.

I use a wx5 extensively, although I rarely use it with GigaStudio. GSt doesn\'t really respond well to breath control like a hardware sampler such as an E4, so I usually do all of my wind controlling with that or my vl70m.

As far as guitar controllers go, I don\'t like using them because I play guitar like a guitar player and it just ends up sounding like a guitar player trying to play another instrument. The tracking is fine with a Roland GR-50. The Axon is much better though, so if you\'re a guitar player just looking for a way to input stuff into the computer, I would recommend that. When composing, however I just use the keyboard. It\'s the easiest way and I don\'t have to pick up a guitar, wx5, or drumsticks. Just hit the keys and it\'s done! Messing with the peripherals gets cumbersome when inputting millions of notes. Better to just streamline it with a keyboard.
    -IO

Well, guitar is up to par with the latest midi controllers.

check out http://catalog.com/starrlab/

I have one of these ztars and use it for midi sequencing. If I have a keyboard part I want to lay down in a jazz combo piece, I can\'t do it on the keyboard. So I pick up my ztar and use all the fingering that I know on my guitar. Presto!!
    Also great for me if I have to do lead line of any great speed, since I can do it on my guitar already, it not hard to do it on the ztar.

It\'s not pitch-to-midi! thank god!

Sorry about the mis-steer on guuitar controllers. You guys are right, it\'s only the Pitch to midi ones that have the lag and slur. The hardwired ones like the Axon should be quite cool.

Thanks all for your \"first aid\", but I need to dig a bit further:

(I address my questions to some of you personally but hope all others read them as well, in case they can and want to join in answering)

IO Composer:
    I understand that you just use a keyboard for composing. But what if you want to finish a song, banning it on CD as a completed musical piece??? Can the Vl70m produce realistic enough brasses??? Better than the sampled sounds of say: Quantum Leap Brass??? The VL70m is monophonic, isn\'t it??? So: Do you use it just for brass solos or do you layer many brass-monophonic parts to get kind of a \"brass-orchestra\"???

I wonder: How good can a keyboard be for imitating a guitar???

Lucas & Chadwick:
    This midi-stuff is completely new to me. What I basically want to do is to make music with Gigastudio just as if I were playing a real instrument to a track on a hard disk recorder. The midi-sequencer shall help me avoid the use of a harddisk-recording-program & Gigasampler at once to avoid performance problems. This way I could make most of the song in the sequencer and later add voice and external instruments after using this \"capture to disk function\". Now I wonder:
    1. Would Cakewalk be the best program for my purposes (why should I need other options of those programs??? What does this midi-world allow me doing I don\'t know about???)
    2. This \"capture to disk\"-thing: How exactly does it work??? Do you need to capture each track individually??? If yes: How do you get them to start at the same starting point in Samplitude???

Marty (hope I remembered your name correctly): Ztars. Seems to be interisting but currently out of my financial reach. First of all I need to save enough money for getting those Gigasampler-libraries...

which takes me to a question to

ALL OF YOU:
    Which libraries are A MUST for Pop/Rock (Beatles, Clapton, Simon etc.-like)-,a bit Blues, Jazz-productions (I need some brasses and some strings. Film music or mainly Classical music currently not in my mind, but classical influence in Pop/Rock wanted).

ANd: What is the best keyboard to use with Giga???

Thanks

------------------
    O.H.

The vl70m is good for woodwinds only. QLB is your best bet for brass.
    -IO

IO. Please don\'t mind me repeating my question:
    Even if the VL70m is \"just\" better with woodwinds. How do you use it for putting a \"woodwind-orchestra\" (sorry, my English isn\'t that good to know if woodwinds in a group can already be called an orchestra) together:
    Do you play a monophonic part to disk and than copy it (layering the same line above itself again & again) to give the impression of \"many people playing\",
    OR do you use as many tracks as you think the group of players is made of with individually played monophonic lines???
    (hope I got what I wanted to ask right)
    Or do you just use it for Solo-parts?

Thanks again
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IOComposer:
    The vl70m is good for woodwinds only. QLB is your best bet for brass.
    -IO
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    O.H.

Go Back to forum