• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Official Statement- New Quantum Leap Library

Share/Bookmark

Official Statement- New Quantum Leap Library

The new Quantum Leap Library which will be shipping at NAMM will be entitled \"Rare Instruments\". I have decided to delay putting out \"C\" flute samples until I can get it just right. This new library, however is by far my finest achievement. The instruments are Alpenhorn, Deduk, Hurdy Gurdy and Taiko Drums. Each instrument was sampled EXTENSIVELY, unlike all other ethnic libraries. Most were recorded in exotic locales, like Santa Monica canyons at 3 AM. It will be 2 cds and probably $299 or $399. The players were ridiculously expensive and there is so much editing that I can\'t make it any cheaper.

[This message has been edited by Nick Phoenix (edited 11-20-2000).]

Re: Official Statement- New Quantum Leap Library

Alpenhorn and hurdy gurdy? Why, of all the wonderful ethnic instruments, did you choose these? I guess if there is a big demand for cough drop commercials, I could see the alpenhorn, but hurdy gurdy? I\'m sure I\'m missing something - are these used that often?

I know it sounds crazy, but these instruments are really cool. They have a much broader appeal then you might think. Most of them play strange scales, but I have digitally remedied that with my Roland VP-9000. The alpenhorn is great for all kinds of film music. The deduk is the most beautiful sounding flute to ever grace this planet. The hurdy gurdy sounds like a cross between a fiddle, a bagpipe and an accordian. Taiko drums are huge sounding and great for film work. Any composer looking to broaden his or her horizons will love this library.(I think)
    The best thing about this library , though is the amount of articulations that I sampled. Sound quality is superb also. After doing the brass library, I needed to do something crazy and fun. This is it.

Sounds great, Nick. I\'m excited.
    Did you use the Dudak player that I recommended to you? If so, how did you sample him? Did you sample phrases and crescendos? I couldn\'t imagine how to sample such an expressive instrument, so I\'m extremely curious as to how you pulled it off. Do tell
    -IO

IO Thanks for the deduk info. I thought it was spelled deduk. Am I wrong, is it spelled dudak? Anyway, your friend is apparently a great player but he would not let me sample him. But, it turns out that a friend of a friend of mine is a terrific player from Armenia. I sampled straight notes with and without vibrato, crescendos with vibrato and various bends, drones, various trills and inflections, short notes, and tons of licks.

Even I\'m confused It\'s actually spelled duduk. I\'ve seen it spelled and pronounced so many different ways that I get messed up, but duduk is definitely the way it is spelled. The guy that made this instrument popular in the states is a guy named Djivan Gasparyan. He\'s an armenian guy who played on Peter Gabriel\'s soundtrack to The Last Temptation of Christ. He\'s now considered the \"Zamfir\" of the duduk. I think he\'s probably the best at it. The guy I recommended was one of his few students, so I was sending you pretty close to the source. I\'m sad that he wouldn\'t let you sample him, although I do understand. I had a hard time convincing my brass friends to let me sample them. It\'s kind of hard telling someone, \"if you let me sample you, I\'ll never need to hire you again!!\". But then again, I assured some of my players that I wouldn\'t be selling my library, and I paid them well for the sessions, so that helped me persuade them.

If you would like some input or programming help on the duduk, I\'d be happy to offer you a hand. I also have a Gasparayan CD that you might be interested in checking out.
    -IO

To Nick:

I enjoyed \"Quantum Leap Guitars\" very much (in fact it was the first sample library I ever purchased) and now I own \"Quantum Leap Brass\" which is truly excellent. I am having the time of my life doing \"cool jazz\" pieces! I want to tell you that your two collections are top-notch and keep up the good work. I\'d love to hear a demo of the \"Rare instruments\" collection but I am not sure it is what I want right now.

One question...what do you think of the VP-9000? Would you call it revolutionary? I am seriously considering getting one.

Thanks Leadbelly. There won\'t be any demos of \"Rare Instruments\" until NAMM. 3 people are editing the samples as we speak. I think it will be popular mostly with film composers. Not a mainsream title, but very cool. The VP-9000 is a useful tool. Groundbreaking really, but not without faults. Great for unusual editing/ transposing tasks and multitempo drum loop playback. Useless as a primary sampler.

Thanks Nick:

I understand that the VP-9000 is not a \"workhorse\" sampler. It is really for getting phrases and loops into suitable keyy/pitch ranges. Is the audio quality of these \"encoded\" samples really preserved well when you pitch and time stretch within a reasonable limit?

Peace,

Leadbelly.

The VP-9000 sounds very good transposing down while retaining sample length. Depending on the sample, it generally sounds good until you get past a major 4th. Transposing up is a little less forgiving. Some samples , however will sound good transposing as much as one octave. I am still trying to figure out the encoding process and how this can affect this. Tempo altering is really hifi also. Beat quantizing and swinging does not seem to work well at this point. It has something to do with the encoder. They will fix that.

Go Back to forum