• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: FINALLY!--Video of "Dorian" in Russia

Share/Bookmark

FINALLY!--Video of "Dorian" in Russia

On Oct. 22, 2010, my wife, Kate, and I, were in Moscow for the opening night of the Russian version of my show, "Dorian Gray," (full title "Dorian - The Remarkable Mister Gray.")

At the time, we expected to have video of the debut before Christmas of that year. But complications set in and things were incredibly delayed.

Now, Feb. 2012, I finally have video of the show. Kate and I are thrilled, again hearing things I wrote performed in Russian.

For now, I have a 70 second promo video, advertising the # to call for tickets in Moscow--pick up the phone next time you visit Russia! This trailer gives a taste of the show, but don't blink!--it goes by in a flash!

There are restrictions on my use of the video. I'm currently awaiting clearance to post montages of each act, about 9 minutes each, since I can't share all the footage. Later, those montage videos will be on the same page with the promo.

I'm especially excited to show these clips to those of you who were on this Forum in 2007 when I first publicly posted the show's music. Newcomers - "Dorian" is simply the highest point so far in my life with music.

Have fun watching - and don't forget to not blink!

Use the control towards the upper left that says "Click here."

(click the picture for the video)
    "DORIAN GRAY in Russia"

Randy

Re: FINALLY!--Video of "Dorian" in Russia

Wow Randy!

What can I say ... what a thrill! So impressed to see the staging of your musical ... yes, I remember it well while you were posting all the numbers in '07, and then your trip over for the premier.

Thanks for sharing all this music with us; its beautiful on the artistic level, but motivational and inspirational as well.

Congratulations on this milestone ... Now get back to work on Tom Sawyer!

BRAVO!!!

Best regards,

Frank

Hello Randy, this is wonderful to see!

It must indeed have been, to perhaps understate it, an extremely exciting time. It was quite an interesting experience to hear the musical in Russian (the few words that were in the video), they lined up so nicely with the English version, it seemed hard to believe that it was a different language...apart from the fact that I couldn't understand a word they were saying.

Very glad to get a chance to hear this, and to hear the music again; this makes me want to go back through some of it again and give it another listen! Thanks for sharing this tidbit with us, and congratulations!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Whats the matter with those people. Don't they know English. The are singing and talking in Russian!

This is an excellent trailer type of video. I have always been impressed with your work and now I am even more impressed. You are the man. Can't wait to see some more videos.
    Jay

My Russian isn't what it used to be. Too short! Still this is something great, an American conquered Russia with music.

Raymond

Wow.

I've been meaning to take a look at "Dorian" ever since I first saw your .sig -- now I really really have to. Excellent stuff, Randy!
    Best,
    Tom Smith
    www.tomsmithonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Wow Randy!

What can I say ... what a thrill! So impressed to see the staging of your musical ... yes, I remember it well while you were posting all the numbers in '07, and then your trip over for the premier.

Thanks for sharing all this music with us; its beautiful on the artistic level, but motivational and inspirational as well.

Congratulations on this milestone ... Now get back to work on Tom Sawyer!

BRAVO!!!

Best regards,

Frank
    AH What fun to finally show you guys some of the Russian show. In 2007 when I posted "Dorian," that led up to the amateur production in 2008, and then that led to the pro production in Moscow. What a great several years it's been for bad boy Dorian.

Frank, you're a perfect person to get on this thread, since you're a Forum "old timer"--been around longer than I have in fact, and you were in the front row for "Dorian" in 2007, and you are again - Thanks for being there!

I SHOULD EXPLAIN - The opening text in this promo says:

"Stas Namin
    Presents
    Oscar Wilde
    'The Picture of Dorian Gray'"

--and then at the end, somewhat surprisingly, the ticket company uses English for their name, "Ticketland."

Stas, my producer, was Russia's first rock star. His name is known by everyone all across Russia. His group "Flowers" was of huge social importance when the Soviet government fell. They had underground fans all over the country, people hiding their illegal records in attics. When Flowers could become mainstream, they became The cultural symbols for freedom.

Stas still maintains his band, but has branched out considerably over the years. He's the producer for The Moscow Symphony Orchestra. He bought this large facility in Gorky Park which had been the venue for Communist rallies back in the '50's and '60's and turned it into a center for all his musical and theatrical endeavors. A very interesting, passionately dedicated artist.

Randy

Again, congratulations. I marvel at the way east and west can come together. I would never have expected to see sets, head mics and western looking costumes on a set in Moscow. WOW! It gives me an entirely different perspective of Russian people. I know, I know, people are not the politicos of a country but it is hard to see past that when the news casters only show the politics. You are an impressive ambassador of the people, for the people ... (oh, nevermind...now I sound like George Washington).

Great to see this, Thanks!!!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    Hello Randy, this is wonderful to see!

It must indeed have been, to perhaps understate it, an extremely exciting time. It was quite an interesting experience to hear the musical in Russian (the few words that were in the video), they lined up so nicely with the English version, it seemed hard to believe that it was a different language...apart from the fact that I couldn't understand a word they were saying.

Very glad to get a chance to hear this, and to hear the music again; this makes me want to go back through some of it again and give it another listen! Thanks for sharing this tidbit with us, and congratulations!
    Thank you thank you thank you, Michael!

Glad you brought up the language adaptation - At opening night, we were struck with how well the Russian lyrics were working with the music. I'm told it's far from a literal translation, being a fairly loose adaptation, the focus being on changing the melody lines as little as possible. The Russian language uses so many more syllables than we do, and so there are places where they really had to do some fancy vocal acrobatics to squeeze their lyrics into the time frame and notes of the score, but there are other times when it seemed perfectly smooth.

A lot of the success in making their translation work is due to the theatre's talented vocal director, Laszlo Dolinsky, who phrased things for the cast, basically came up with new vocal arrangements to accommodate the change in language.

If you'd like to hear some of the English original again, use the link in my signature.

Thanks again for your post, Michael.

Randy

Amazing. Must be thrilling to have achieved this. I watched all the videos you had on your sig. link as well, a good while back and was delighted by what I saw and heard. I love the original story, and when I saw you had written a musical on it I thought to myself that it seemed like a no-brainer that someone should have done this ages ago.

If only it would come to Ireland!
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Go Back to forum