• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Goldberg Variation II for 2 Violins and Continuo

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Goldberg Variation II for 2 Violins and Continuo

I started a personal trip into the Goldberg Variations of J.S. Bach, playing it on my piano, listening to different recordings and arrangements, and finally finding out some of the hidden verisons: Bach wrote for Harpsichord, but like in the Well Temp. Clav. or in the Suites, he never stops being an organist and an instrumental music composer, so you may clearly recognize the form of orchestral, chamber or organ music in the "clavier" compositions as well.

Here a rendering of the variation 2. it's a bit mechanic when you play it on the harpsichord, just a bit more expressive on the piano, but really enlighted by a 2 violins (and Continuo) performance. What do you think?

http://www.webalice.it/fatis12/files...riation2fx.mp3 (now with some sound improvements)

Featuring only some (pretty old ) Garritan instruments, in a live recording simulation ambience.

Re: Goldberg Variation II for 2 Violins and Continuo

What a great arrangement - sounds fabulous! I'm sure Bach would be happy with this - it sounds as good as any of the arrangements I've heard of The Musical Offering or Art of Fugue. Are you thinking of doing an arrangement of the whole set?
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    What a great arrangement - sounds fabulous! I'm sure Bach would be happy with this - it sounds as good as any of the arrangements I've heard of The Musical Offering or Art of Fugue. Are you thinking of doing an arrangement of the whole set?
    Thanks for the kind words. Not the whole set but some pieces that are in my humble opinion disclosing the lush counterpoint more, once orchestrated, because the keyboard doesn't allow for total disclosure and indipendency of voices.

Nice, very nice. Certainly do more. All of the contrapuntal variations should work well but some of the toccata like variations will be a challenge but I think they might be possible.

Norman

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post

Featuring only some (pretty old ) Garritan instruments, in a live recording simulation ambience.
    I do believe it's been almost Forever since you've posted music for us to hear, Fabio - THANKS for returning. But more - thank you in particular for this simply fabulous recording.

It's really excellent in every department. Very effective use of venue simulation.

I pulled out that quote because I'm sure we'd be interested to know more specifically what you used. But I guess this is obviously with the Garritan Strad and Garritan Gofriller - Is that the GPO Harpsichord very humbly in the background?

Randy

Quello è favoloso! Meraviglioso!

Thanks for posting this, Mister Fabio. I enjoyed it very much.

My best to you, il mio amico Italiano.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I love the Goldberg variations. I used listen to them when I went to bed in hopes of soaking up some of Bach's marvelous contrapuntal technique. Your version of variation II is just great. I think the rendering is wonderful.
    Thanks for posting. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    ...I'm sure we'd be interested to know more specifically what you used. But I guess this is obviously with the Garritan Strad and Garritan Gofriller - Is that the GPO Harpsichord very humbly in the background?

Randy
    Randy, you got it 100%

Yep it is the Strad 2.01 and 2.02 in a double session, and the Gofriller with the GPO Harpsichord for the Basso Continuo.
    After listening to it this morning from the mp3, I found some issues, and so I improved it a bit.

And yep it's long time...thanks for the kind words, I'm changing my job, and I hope I will keep more time for my studio and for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Quello è favoloso! Meraviglioso!

Thanks for posting this, Mister Fabio. I enjoyed it very much.

My best to you, il mio amico Italiano.
    Hey Larry, so nice to read from you!!!

I always listen to your music, even if I don't post comments for time constrain and laziness...
    It's a real pleasure to see you always here, and always in pretty good musical shape!!

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    I love the Goldberg variations. I used listen to them when I went to bed in hopes of soaking up some of Bach's marvelous contrapuntal technique. Your version of variation II is just great. I think the rendering is wonderful.
    Thanks for posting. Jay
    Yes Jay, listening and playing it is a kind of nutrition for your musical mind. Thank you for listening my mix, after the nice comments I even improved it a bit with additional editing and some bug fix.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast