• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO / GIO - Reload in Aria necessary at times to play recorded MIDI (VST)

Share/Bookmark

GPO / GIO - Reload in Aria necessary at times to play recorded MIDI (VST) (SOLVED)

Hello, I recently purchased GIO. I've had GPO for a few years but never really delved into it other than to use it once in awhile. I'm ready to learn more. The sounds are very impressive.

I use the Aria Player within SONAR Producer as a VST.

I'm trying to get the hang of using multiple instruments by assigning different MIDI channels to "play/record" more than one "sound" using only one instance of Aria. I seem to be doing okay except at times I need to reload certain instruments to hear sound after I've recorded it using my MIDI keyboard. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I haven't seen this with my other VSTs and perhaps I'm misunderstanding the assignment of the MIDI channels. I wish I could describe this better.

Does anyone have an advice or tips they could provide?

Thanks,
    D-
    Last edited by MrMook; 02-27-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Problem solved. Changed Thread title to reflect that.

Re: GPO / GIO - Reload in Aria necessary at times to play recorded MIDI (VST)

Quote Originally Posted by MrMook View Post
    ...I seem to be doing okay except at times I need to reload certain instruments to hear sound after I've recorded it using my MIDI keyboard. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...
    Hi, MrMook

I use Sonar and can help you out.

Go to to the top menu Options>Project>MIDI Out. Under "Other Options," un-check "Zero Controllers When Play Stops."

You need to take a good look at the manuals for both GPO and IO. Most Garritan instruments have their volume controlled by MIDI Controller #1 - "Modulation." To make successful recordings, you need to record Mod Wheel data (CC1) in a constant way, emulating the way instruments are really played.

If you keep that default setting for "Zero controllers" checked in Sonar, then the program will do exactly what that pop-up is saying. MIDI controllers will be returned to Zero every time you stop. If CC1 has dropped to Zero - then that turns off the volume for your Garritan Instruments.

That's why you have to un-check that option. Now when you stop playback, whatever volume an instrument is at will be maintained.

BUT do record or hand insert CC1 in your project tracks.

Randy

Wow! Thank you so much, Randy.

I am really appreciative. I thought I was "out there" trying to explain my problem. I find the controller aspect of MIDI to be somewhat confusing. I was happy enough to be able to figure out how to record 16 different tracks with one instance of Aria!

I unchecked the box and all seems well.

Now I have another question but I think I know the answer:

You said: "BUT do record or hand insert CC1 in your project tracks."

Since CC1 is the default in GPO/GIO I shouldn't be concerned using that for CC1 events. Correct?

I must admit I read about inserting events into Sonar's PRV but found it very confusing.

I have Scott's Power Book for Producer and will read about it in there and try to make sense of it.

Again THANKS for ending my frustration.

Best regards,
    Dave-

You said: "BUT do record or hand insert CC1 in your project tracks."

Since CC1 is the default in GPO/GIO I shouldn't be concerned using that for CC1 events. Correct?

I must admit I read about inserting events into Sonar's PRV but found it very confusing.

I have Scott's Power Book for Producer and will read about it in there and try to make sense of it.

Again THANKS for ending my frustration.

Best regards,
    Dave-
    You're welcome, Dave - It's always cool when advice offered turns out to be helpful. And especially cool when the person with the initial problem comes back to say the feedback solved a problem. Thanks for that.

It would seem, by your new question, that you don't quite get what's going on with MIDI Controllers. "Since CC1 is the default--etc."--doesn't make sense. I really don't know what you mean - but that's OK, because it indicates, to me, that you don't get CCs.

CC1 (or 11, or 2) controls volume in Garritan Libraries. When you insert an instrument, an initial setting comes up with the instrument - but you now need to have CC1 data in your project's MIDI tracks. I think maybe you don't have a keyboard? If you do, it's a simple mattering of arming a track for record, and the playing the volume of the instrument with the mod wheel.

But if you don't have a Mod Wheel available, then you will have to draw CC1 in, using the Controller Panes in the Piano Roll View. Not just inserting single events, but doing the best you can to emulate the hills and valleys of volume that are recorded when you use a Mod Wheel. Here's a screen shot of the PRV in action:

It's beyond the scope of a post like my reply to explain in detail how to use the PRV. Dig into Scott's book, looking up his guide through the PRV. Once you get the hang of it, that's where you'll live when you're working in Sonar. The basic process is to use the PRV menu to add controller panes, and then editing, drawing etc. PRV is the heart of MIDI.

Randy

Randy, it's VERY obvious I don't understand MIDI controllers. LOL!

I do have a keyboard but I never use the mod-wheel. I'm a guitarist and use the keyboard to do "simple" things. Bass, MIDI drum loops, etc. I've used PRV to edit notes, etc. but never worked with controllers.

Seems I have some learning to do.

Thanks for the screen cap. I can "see" the controllers but really don't know what they do or what they're for since I don't understand what I'm seeing on the screen. Editing or adding them is a mystery to me. I've never really taken the time to understand those things. MIDI itself was a challenge when I started using a computer to record my music. If I take the time I'll grasp this controller business.

Best regards,
    Dave-

Randy, it's VERY obvious I don't understand MIDI controllers. LOL!

I do have a keyboard but I never use the mod-wheel. I'm a guitarist and use the keyboard to do "simple" things. Bass, MIDI drum loops, etc. I've used PRV to edit notes, etc. but never worked with controllers.

Seems I have some learning to do.

Thanks for the screen cap. I can "see" the controllers but really don't know what they do or what they're for since I don't understand what I'm seeing on the screen. Editing or adding them is a mystery to me. I've never really taken the time to understand those things. MIDI itself was a challenge when I started using a computer to record my music. If I take the time I'll grasp this controller business.

Best regards,
    Dave-
    Well good, glad my replies have been helpful. AND now - You're right, it's time to understand better what's going on with MIDI. You have a lot of it, but I can't exaggerate the importance of using controllers--primarily CC1 for volume control with Garritan instruments. Without using CC1, you're just triggering notes and letting them lay there. What you can do with MIDI Controllers is breathe life into the samples so the results are much more natural, more organic.

In that screenshot - look at the window with the CC11 data. I use an Expression pedal for volume, and it sends out CC11, but Mod Wheel does the same volume control with CC1. Just look at the way the stream of data is going up and down - the volume is going up and down, controlled by that data. What you see displayed in that controller pane in the PRV is an exact representation of what's going on. And the notes are in the main window at the top, so you can always see precisely what notes, what parts of notes, are being effected by the data.

Arm to record an Instant Orchestra track that has notes in it. Grab the Mod Wheel and start moving it. You're a musician, you'll get a feel very quickly of how pushing it up gives you more volume, moving it down brings the volume down. It's totally logical and easily felt out intuitively. The data you record with the Mod Wheel is what will show up there in the PRV. Then you just need to learn how to edit the data when part of a take isn't quite what you want.

Right now you have a mental block against getting it--But it's really all pretty straight forward: Record volume, look at the results in PRV and fix as needed.

Read some in the Sonar Power book - but start trying it. You can't wreck anything. Just keep using CTRL+Z for "un-do" if you don't like what you've just done.

You'll get it.

Randy

Hi, I hope you don't mind my jumping in on your thread Dave if you're still following it, but I believe I have questions related to the topic.

First of all, you said
    "I was happy enough to be able to figure out how to record 16 different tracks with one instance of Aria!"
    - If you are using Sonar X1, could you enlighten me with some tips there? Randy's Blast Off tutorial is excellent, but the interface difference between the two versions of Sonar has made it difficult for me to figure out exactly what's going on.

Second, the discussion on CC1 data proves helpful as to why I might not always be able to get sound from playback, but I can't be certain that that is the only issue with why my sound drops out -my post I made last night talks about it in more detail -http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ience-please-)

Thanks,
    Kristofor

Quote Originally Posted by aflocka View Post
    Hi, I hope you don't mind my jumping in on your thread Dave if you're still following it, but I believe I have questions related to the topic.

First of all, you said - If you are using Sonar X1, could you enlighten me with some tips there? Randy's Blast Off tutorial is excellent, but the interface difference between the two versions of Sonar has made it difficult for me to figure out exactly what's going on.

Second, the discussion on CC1 data proves helpful as to why I might not always be able to get sound from playback, but I can't be certain that that is the only issue with why my sound drops out -my post I made last night talks about it in more detail -http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php/77272-Several-Questions-patience-please-)

Thanks,
    Kristofor
    Hi, Kristofor - I'll reply to your other post/thread also - It's best to start new threads so people can see each user's particular issues.

I'm glad you liked the Blast Off tutorials, but sorry you couldn't apply what you saw to X1. I have both programs, Sonar 8.5 and X1, so if you could ask specifically, in a new thread, what the points of confusion are, I'll try to straighten things out. Those two programs are basically the same, but the interfaces do look different. One of the big differences is that X1 has 2 track Inspectors to the left of each track. That's where you'll find all the settings I refer to in the tutes as "the track header."

CC1, as pointed out on this thread, is essential for Garritan instruments. Without it, you won't hear playback. You also need to play the volume, the way real instruments are played, and never have it at just one static level.

You have to go to project settings and make sure "Zero controllers on playback" is UN-checked, otherwise the CC1 data will keep getting re-set to zero.

I'll go reply to the new thread you started.

Randy

Go Back to forum