• Register
  • Help

Topic: Converting Ultimate Strings (Akai)

Share/Bookmark

Converting Ultimate Strings (Akai)

Anyone have any experience converting the Ultimate Strings (or any Akai library for that matter)to GS using the SConverter?

I can only seem to convert individual \"layers\" ie. one set of samples mapped out across the keyboard with no velocity switches. I then have to go into GS edit and combine these into velocity switched instruments.

Is there an \"automatic\" way to convert these performances?

Jim

Re: Converting Ultimate Strings (Akai)

I\'ve been using CDXtract which converts a little bit more accurately than Sconverter, and I seem to be getting layers fine, but I do not get dimensions. I\'m curious as to why you didn\'t buy the GS version of US? I would guess that soundsonline would allow you to switch formats for a nominal fee. The GS version was programmed by Dave Govett at Nemesys, so it\'s pretty good!
    -IO

I looked for Ultimate Strings for GS at Soundsonline, but I didn\'t see them selling it as a stand alone. Only bundled in with a purchase of GS, which I already have. I figured the GS version was so new that they weren\'t selling it by itself.

When you say you get layers fine with CDXtract, do you mean individual layers with one sample per region, or are you able to convert from the CD into velocity switched instruments?

Jim

Oh. I see what you\'re saying. Unfortunately, it won\'t interprate Akai\'s layering scheme. It gives you the layers as independant .gig files and you have to merge them in GSEdit. Yes, that is a pain in the butt Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. For a quick primer on how to combine gigs easily, look at the HKStrings thread of a couple of weeks ago. Chadwick layed it all out.
    -IO

Thanks. I already figured out how to combine instruments in GSEdit, it\'s not difficult at all. I just wanted to be sure there wasn\'t an easier way. My only problem now is figuring out how to construct the original multi instruments based on the rather vague Akai CD documentation.

Jim

Go Back to forum