• Register
  • Help

Topic: KHStrings-HELP!

Share/Bookmark

KHStrings-HELP!

I\'m still having some problems with this conversion. If someone could help me out with a couple more questions, I would appreciate it. I\'ll just post them here and hope it doesn\'t get too involved:

1. when converting in GigaStudio, I\'m getting random out of tune notes. It\'s not everywhere, but just in some places. Also, on the 24VN 16 4 patch, it\'s off by a half note on the C4 note. I\'ve ordered CDExtract, but it\'s taking a long time for them to email me the full version. I\'m hoping this will cure the anomolies, but I\'m interested to see if others here are having this same problem or if my ear is just playing tricks on me

2. On all of the patches that have VEL in the title, the manual says that it\'s xfading with another patch. How do we figure out which patch it\'s being xfaded with so that we can reconstruct the xfaded patch, and if I could find out which patch, how do I combine the two into a single .gig file?

3. On the 24 Violin EXP patches, the releases all have a filter cutoff that sounds EXTREMELY weird. I\'m wondering if this was done for a reason or should I just get rid of it immediately?

I\'m spending a lot of time trying to organize this beast of a library into a manageable system but I\'m getting a bit frustrated with my lack of conversion knowledge. If there\'s anyone here who has been successful in doing this, I would be extremely grateful for any insights.
    Thanks,
    -IOComposer

[This message has been edited by IOComposer (edited 11-13-2000).]

Re: KHStrings-HELP!

Hey Ho IO!

>how do I combine the two into a single .gig file?

From what I can tell, you need to go through a slightly convoluted, but effective, process.

1. First, you need to have both instruments which are to be COMBINED saved to disk somewhere separately.

2. Now, open GS Edit.

3. Load one of those two instruments into the editor.

4. (Here\'s the different bit) Pull down the file menu and choose \'Merge file\', then browse to the other instrument which you haven\'t yet loaded, and choose it. This will load the second instrument into the first instrument\'s folder, rather than into its own editor window.

5. Now, while holding the Ctrl key, left click both loaded instruments, so that they are both highlighted.

6. Now right click on either of the highlighted files and choose COMBINE INSTRUMENTS. NOTE Currently this only appears to work on two instruments. If you want more layers, you need to combine two instruments, and then combine the resultant combo with a third file etc,.

7. Now you get a dialog box with four or five options. The most important window here is the \'using this controller\' box. This is where you choose which of the ways you want to switch/fade from one instrument to another.
    It defaults to Mod Wheel, but there\'s the usual list to choose from - including Layer.

8. The second most important box is the one above this \'Combine these instruments..\'
    This is where you choose which order the layers/splits will be presented in. The little up down arrows will take about 2 seconds to work out. Note the helpful 0-127 indicator on the left.

9. Type in the name of the new instrument, and you can probably safely hit OK at this stage - although there are a couple more options to play with if you want to investigate. This creates a third file within the same instrument. So you have instrument #1, instrument #2, and instrument #3 (which is the layered combination of #1 and #2)

10. Next place to visit is the Crossfade editor in the Mix/Layer tab on Case Properties. Click on the little icon which looks like four sharks racing (!?). It looks like lots of intuitive fun, but I haven\'t used it yet, so I\'m not saying word one about it.

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by Chadwick (edited 11-14-2000).]

CDExtract is supposed to do a better job than S-Convertor on certain Akai things. Transaltor does as well. Onenice thing about Translator is taht if you ever have a problem with a certain translation, you can create a \"TestMode file\" which compresses down to about 20-100K, and e-mail into Chicken Systems. Usually CS looks at it same day and e-mails you a remedy. You can call Chicken Systems toll-free in the States and get customer service right on the spot.

And all this for the same price as CDExtract.

Garth

Chadwick:
    Thank you so much, my good man! You\'ve saved me a bunch of work!

Chickensys: DOH!! after checking out Translator, I see that it would have been better because it supports EMU. I\'m going to see if it\'s not too late to cancel my CDXtract order and buy Translator instead. Thanks for the info.
    -IO

I stand corrected...CDXtract DOES in fact convert EMU, so I\'m happy with it. I\'ve been converting AKAI and EMU successfully all morning, so there ya have it!
    -IO

IO - A warning!

Don\'t use version 3.3x of CDxtract to do conversions. Once in a while it will create an instrument which crashes your PC when Giga tries to load it.

3.4 has solved this problem

Thanks for the tip. I\'m using 3.4
    -IO

We have experienced some of the same issues. Several of the Virtuoso Strings patches have missing samples in some octaves. Have also had problems with samples going out of tune. After loading and saving a Performance orchestra on all 64 channels, all the samples on Port 1 went 1/2 step sharp. Ended up rebuilding the whole orchestra. Tedious, but it worked. Good luck.

Go Back to forum