• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which cd has the best pletrum bass sample (vintage Chris Squire sound)

Share/Bookmark

Re: Which cd has the best pletrum bass sample (vintage Chris Squire sound)

Gigasampler comes with a rickenbacker. I like it - very in-your-eye kind of power to it. But I believe it is fingered not with plectrum - can\'t rememeber now.

also check out Will Lee Bass libraries from Sampleheads.

Maybe Sonic Implants will have something worthwhile,too.

I know the sound your looking for as I used to have a Rickenbacker bass with roundwound strings. Most of the bass sounds with a plectrum are just too clean sounding and don\'t get the growl of the real thing. Part of Chris Squire\'s sound is fret buzz plus the samples are unable to do slides like a real bass. Unfortunately, I sold my bass to become a keyboardist (needed money for a real Hammond organ). I am thinking of purchasing a real bass but can\'t afford the Rickenbacker as they are almost $2,000 now. I\'m looking for something for the price of a sample disc. There are some nice low priced bass with good bite!

Which cd has the best pletrum bass sample (vintage Chris Squire sound)

Hi.

I need a great plectrum bass sample. I compose music, which can be described as progressive rock.
    I\'ve been looking for a good (overdrived) rickenbacker (or something alike), which has that classic Chris Squire sound.

I\'ve read about the new Dan Dean Giga Bass Collection. The demo didn\'t impress me _that_ much, but has anybody tried out the rickenbacker sound on it? Are there other cd\'s?

I use gigastudio together with logic audio pl. I would also be nice to have a rickenbacker (or something similiare) sampled with the overdrived sound, instead of adding this later in logic audio.

Thanks!

Want to trade or exchange Akai S-1000/S-3000
    cd\'s??
    I come from Holland and have lots of them,I have also trade with Sweden,in a few days
    you have them.......

Thanks for your replies.

Marty:
    Yes I\'ve heard the gigastudio sample rickenbacker, and found it very weak.
    ¤t sounds boring to me.

I think I\'m most likely end up buying Dean Dan Giga bass collection. Has anyboday bought it? Opinions?

Haydn:
    You owned a real Rickenbacker, and sold it?!
    Shame on you. :-)
    I agree with you, the slides and string buzzes are important factors in Squire\'s (excellent) bass sound.

(Since we\'re talking about vintage musicians, heard Kansas latest cd? Incredible, their best work ever IMO, Livgren back. Complex vintage style and sound.)

edlansen:
    I need to buy a legal bass sample cd, but it would be interesting to try out some different stuff first. I\'m very picky when it comes the samples I wanna use in my music. (Have already bought cds I find of little use.)
    you can contact me at music251@hotmail.com

Hi All
    Im a giga studio user and I also buy sell and trade musical instuments as a side hobby.
    Im primarily a 6 string guitar play but I recently came across a rickenbacker 4001 bass in good shape and sold it via word of mouth to a friend of a friend for $350,Im thinking from what I have heard hear that I sold it to cheap.
    Well maybe you can find a deal like the one I had if you look around .
    Even though my main instrument is a 6 string acoustic or electric guitar I can apreciate other instruments when I hear them .
    And I would have to agree that Chris Squire had a smoken technich and sound.
    I think to get that sound and expressiveness you would need a real bass.

Hello,

maybe have also a short look on Xsamples CD01. There is a 5 string bass with 3 different types of plectrums:
    1) sharp stopped
    2) plastic
    3) felt
    All styles can be \"faded\" with fret noise.
    There are also thumbs, slaps, fingered, muted, slides, fx-sounds and so on. All in all 31 presets.
    http://www.xsample.de

Georg

Edlansen:
    Sorry, the hotmail account I gave you doesn\'t work. You\'ll have to reach me through this one: music2513@hotmail.com
    This one works for sure.

Those Xsample cd\'s seems very interesting. Maybe I\'ll order some of them.
    Thanks for the tip! :-)

wanted to revisit this thread and see what people would recommend today for that kick'n chris squire melodic rock bass sound! It seems most libs are geared towards disco/funk/slap fingered playing, and just dont sound right in this context.

The two libs I've found thus far that come close are Chris Hein E-bass picked & Orangetree CoreBass - Cherry Picked. With the Chris Hein, I worry about the amount of key switches being overwhelming for a non-keyboard player, but the idea of the double note hot key seems AWESOME and fundamental to a realistic bass sound on repeating notes. The CoreBass looks cool, and I like the idea of an easy to play bass, but worry that I wont have as much control.

Any other suggestions? I currently use & LOVE scarbee's red bass, but the sound is too smooth for rock; I'm currently getting by using the slap bass with a filter though amp sims, but its still not right. I wish he would do a picked rick! Maybe I should wait for his Blue Bass?

Go Back to forum