• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finally got a chance to really fool with QL Brass and Ultimate strings

Share/Bookmark

Finally got a chance to really fool with QL Brass and Ultimate strings

Have to say Nick, I like the QL brass sounds. The staccatto stuff works REALLY well layered (in love with Tuba God). Good for Action like cues and hard hitting stuff. I do wish there was a solo French horn, but I know you\'re doing one in the update. Please give it some real \"character\" maybe even two different horns. I\'d love for some of the breathing expression to show up, especially on piano layer, sometimes you want legato,..and sometimes you want that little blurb of a soft attack. I still haven\'t gotten to really work too many melody lines out with this library, but I think its a great set to use with AO\'s brass to thicken it up. I\'m a bit used to the programming in AO, so on that note, I get a bit frustrated since its a different programming scheme. Still, it sounds great.

Ultimate Strings- I like alot about this library and don\'t like that there isn\'t enough of what I like in it

The up and down bowing helps with fast sections on Violins, but its not around for any of the other sections. Which makes you feel like there is something left out.

Its a good library for me to mix with AO\'s strings. I\'ve found that mixing and matching the detache violas from AO and the tremelo violas from US, I can sequence some realistic alternate bowing, and/or bigger string sections. Is till haven\'t stumbled on a mix that gives me that really big sounding section, but I think with what I have, if I layer a little more and mix/compose correctly, I\'ll get closer or even \"there\"

I bought these libraries because of the talk on this board about them. I\'m not dissapointed in the sounds. So thanx everyone for blabbing and sharing

Here\'s a demo using brass from QL, strings from both US and AO, and Percussion from AO
    http://home.earthlink.net/~ohthat/stuff/actioncue/

there are two versions, one before heavy reverb processing/EQ and one in a basic room reverb, with a little low end boost.

[This message has been edited by KingIdiot (edited 11-07-2000).]

Re: Finally got a chance to really fool with QL Brass and Ultimate strings

Hi King.
    Your tune sounds pretty good. However, I tend to stay away from those kind of Violin lines unless I know that I\'m going to be able to replace them with the real thing. They just sound very \"midi-esque\". Brass sounds good!
    -IO

KingIdiot, I think something went awfully wrong in your EQ\'ing stage.... It sounds like you removed a lot of midtone, it sounds almost as coming from an ancient pocket radio or something, the Actioncue1testmix2... No offence, but the 1st mix sounds better, although it lacks reverb.

I agree with Simon.

The eq in the second mix goes a little too far (IMHO).

A little??

no offense taken, I actually completely agree with you

Its actually a few things that went wrong in addition to my lazyness in wanting to actually remix. What happened was an accidental compression stage in the mixdown phase, which took out the lows and his (part of the mixer/EQ stage of some multiband compression I used on accident), After which I did a quick fix by adding in some lows, which boomed too much in the room, which I tried to make bigger with more reverb,..which sounded too muddy...which I tried to fix by pumping his and taking too big a pull out of the low mids......phwew....anyhow,..it was more me being stupid and not wanting to remix and trying a few quick fixes that made it sound like that The pull on the low mids really took out the tone of the brass

I actaully was planning on remixing it later this week with some different ideas on the legato string lines.....the post kinda drifted off into lala land, so I thought no one was listening to it anyways hehheh

Go Back to forum