• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Shared Things (smooth jazz)

Share/Bookmark

Shared Things (smooth jazz)

I know I still have "Air for a G String" on the main page. It hasn't had many replies but seems to be stuck on this page.

I thought about Randy's comment to me in that thread that it was expecting some hot jazz, but the best I could do right now is a little smooth swing jazz. I am playing the Sax and Trumpet leads on the AKAI EWI. Since I am still learning it (the EWI is not as easy and simple to play as I had thought [gosh, I have to practice it too!]), I wrote a simple little tune and easy solos.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy Shared Things.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Shared Things (smooth jazz)

Wow, Rich!--- I can easily say you are jumping by leaps and bounds with your new EWI. I'm so impressed - The leads sound great! You have to be pleased with your progress. Loved the lines in this. Nice one, Rich.

Randy

Hey Rich!!! I am glad you got all the kinks worked out with the EWI. It sounds like you had fun doing this tune...which is ultimately the point .

Thanks for sharing, nice tune.

Jim

Thanks Randy,

It was fun to put together even with the practicing to get the parts to sound relatively good. There are tricks and articulations on a real sax reed with the way one blows through the instrument bends to shape the notes. This is not the same on the EWI and it isn't second nature compared to playing a real sax or trumpet. A lot was done with the right thumb for bends and vibrato with the teeth (that really to getting used to - one doesn't put their teeth on a reed - YIKES!-). But in the end I did learn a little more about the EWI.

I appreciate you taking the time to listen.

Rich

Thanks Jim,

As I said to Randy, it was fun. The biggest obstacle is the left thumb and the four rollers that control octaves. You are exactly correct when you said that you have to not overly think about those rollers. If you think about it when you are playing, you invariably will end up in the wrong octave.

Rich

Hey Richard! Your toy sounds good to me. This was fun to listen to. Your toy sounds good to me. That EWI is really quite an instrument, isn't it. I have seen many players use it, and thought that it had a great sound.
    Thanks for post.
    Jay

Rich,

I enjoyed your Shared Things. The EWI sounds great and it's a good tune.

I had a feeling that the EWI wasn't a pick up and play controller. The good thing is once you get it down you have all the wind instruments available.

I've been looking for a used Yamaha BC3 breath controller but they don't exist. I think there is still a market for a keyboard-breath wind controller that doesn't need the breath port built into the keyboard, if that's even possible.

Have fun and thanks for posting your music.

Phil

Hello Rich! Oh, this is indeed smooth. Very chilled, and you have some really nice melodies in here. The solos are wonderful, too. I'll admit I don't listen to much jazz, but I could listen to this sort of music all day!

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Jay,

Thanks for the comments. The more I work at the EWI, the more I realize that it is no toy but can really do some amazing things. Now, if I could only get my two thumbs to behave!

Rich

Phil,

I had a feeling that the EWI wasn't a pick up and play controller. The good thing is once you get it down you have all the wind instruments available.
    You are right about that. It is not like a beginners recorder or a non-musicians choice of starting instruments. I found that you have to really re-learn a few moves (especially thumbs) to get an effective sound. But, if you don't know how a reed instrument is played and how to use the tongue and airstream for articulations, then it pretty much can sound like beginner.

Also, it not only plays reeds and brass sounds but also any other instrument that can be loaded into the ARIA player. I can now play the violin or cello and actually sound like I have mastered the instrument (well, maybe a little like that ).

It is best to understand the instrument you are imitating to make sure you can produce an effectively convincing sound.

Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated.

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast