• Register
  • Help

Topic: Malsjmo Grand.

Malsjmo Grand.

Just to let you all know that the Malsjmo Grand by Hans Adamson ROCKS!!!!!!!!

It has such a natural sound, just like being in the hall. I\'m so impressed that I\'m going to purchase it & recommend it to all my friends. Check it out!

Re: Malsjmo Grand.

What is actually the secret of the Malsjmo?
    ambient breathing, pure tone, wood resonance...?

Well, it starts with a really fine old instrument but mostly has to do with the mic\'ing technique. This is not a close mic\'ed under the lid sampling project. Hans has done a wonderful job of capturing a live, more three-dimensional view of this piano. It\'s an excellent alternative to what\'s already available. Very natural.

San Jose, Ca, USA

The demo songs sound pretty cool! it sounds, \"something not too big (thick) like Yamahas and not very small (thin) like Steinways\".

Let\'s not diss the Steinway! Sure, I\'ve ordered Hans\' piano, and I expect great things from it. But the Steinway B, once filtered, is one heck of a good piano. I can tell you that at my Bach site at mp3.com, no one, including some pretty high-powered critics, had any idea I\'m using a sampled piano. Bk 1 Prelude 16 provides a pretty good idea of how realistic that piano can sound.

No doubt, though, I can hardly wait to get that Swedish piano. Truan\'s Steinway, unlike his Bos, is a competitor. I hope Hans\' piano is still better.

John Grant http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/john_lewis_grant.html

So, how does one go about orderding this library?

Go to the address below and select \"Ordering Information\" from the right side choices. Also, thanks Jazzman and Tom for your comments.

[This message has been edited by Hans Adamson (edited 11-01-2000).]

I agree, there are some good sampled Piano collections out there. I guess what I was trying to say is that the Hans\'s piano is the first one I\'ve heard in which I was COMPLETLY convinced that I was hearing the real thing. When I first heard the Demo \"Mean to me\", I thought it was an old Bill Evans recording. What a natural sound. Breathtaking!

Jazzman\'s post prompted me to listen to the jazz track (at 256). Well, it\'s more telling than the Bach track, which, if the powers that be don\'t mind me saying so, does justice neither to the piano sample, nor to JSB.

No doubt about it, Jazzman, this sample is an advance on the previous fare, including my favourite--the Steinway B. Why? Well, for starters, there\'s AMBIENCE in the sample! A fortuitous discovery, for me, since in a previous post I was bemoaning the absence of ambience in my sample.

And I\'ve had no luck \"creating\" that ambience. I\'ve come to believe that no amount of verb makes ambience (the indefinable \"air,\" or \"space\" that you hear around your ears in a good recording.\" Even my beloved Steinway B can\'t be made to have \"ambience.\"

Hans\' piano, on the other hand, has ambience in spades, and that puts it ahead of ALL the other samples on the market, right off the bat.

Not only that, it appears to me on listening to this sample that when you add verb (I added my modified version of the \"concert\" setting of sblive) the ambience only gets stronger and better!

Oh yes, and the piano also has a lovely, realistic tone.

John Grant http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/john_lewis_grant.html

A Great thanks to the guys at Northern Sound for managing to retrieve this thread after it was lost in a server/software malfunction.

Good job!

Go Back to forum