• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Dorian" in Russia - Act One video montage

Share/Bookmark

"Dorian" in Russia - Act One video montage

Recently, I was finally given video footage of the opening night of "Dorian Gray" in Moscow. It's the Russian version of my show that premiered here in Oregon in 2008.

I now have clearance to show some longer clips than the 70 second promo video I recently posted. This is an 8 minute video montage of Act One. That's as much as I can share, but it's enough for you to get a good feel for how this Russian troupe does the show.

This is in the same video player with the promo, and later on, I'll add a montage of Act Two to the page.

It's really a thrill to see what my wife Kate and I flew to Moscow to see in October of 2010.

And for Forum newcomers - The music for "Dorian" was my first GPO project. I joined the Forum in late 2006, and posted all of the show's music throughout 2007. That was just the beginning!

--(use the menu at the left to see the trailer promo and/or the Act One montage)--

(click the picture for the video)
    "Act One of DORIAN GRAY in Russia"

Randy

Re: "Dorian" in Russia - Act One video montage

Hello Randy, glad to see you have gotten this up so quickly!

It's so great to see all the effort they put into this production. The costumes, lighting and effects, everything is just wonderful. (Not to mention how beautiful the Stas Namin looks)

Again, I really really appreciate you sharing this with us, and many congratulations on a great production!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Michael, you're the first kid on the block to see the video--Actually, the first kid in the whole World, besides me and Kate! The theatre's office sent me the raw footage, and I've been editing it for them, including these montage versions. So even the actors haven't seen it yet.

This opening night was a gala premiere at Moscow's biggest, brightest performance space, The International House of Music. That was a special performance to kick things off.

Where Stas Namin's group usually performs is in his theatre on the edge of beautiful Gorky Park. It's a very intimate venue, seating around 200. Very "in" and artsy.

Right after I got home from my first trip to Moscow, I put together a video tour through SNC (The Stas Namin Centre) and posted it on You Tube. You can see the stage, the auditorium, and the unique lobby and restaurant connected to it.

The picture that takes you to the video is one I took of the theatre's front entrance.

(click the picture for the video]
    "A Tour through The Stas Namin Centre"

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Michael, you're the first kid on the block to see the video--Actually, the first kid in the whole World, besides me and Kate! The theatre's office sent me the raw footage, and I've been editing it for them, including these montage versions. So even the actors haven't seen it yet.
    And back to this thread! It is an honor, for sure, Randy

Now that you mention it, maybe I do vaguely remember you mentioning the premiere being held at the International House of Music. Really enjoyed your tour of Stas Namin, though, it really does look cozy!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    And back to this thread! It is an honor, for sure, Randy

Now that you mention it, maybe I do vaguely remember you mentioning the premiere being held at the International House of Music. Really enjoyed your tour of Stas Namin, though, it really does look cozy!
    Hello again, Michael!-- The opening of this Act One video has the info that the premiere was at the House of Music. I've also mentioned it a few times. But anyway - glad you took the tour of SNC. Unique place, and that's where "Dorian" is now being performed in rotation with the 9 other shows in the company's repertoire. On one side of the large building that houses the small theatre, Stas's offices and recording studio, is a large outdoor amphitheater where he holds concerts in the warm months.

Randy

Wonderful, wonderful! I noticed that I had to click on fast forward before the video would load, but the experience was well worth the minor server problem. Where and how does one obtain performance rights of your musical?

Just watched the video montage of Act One........Very impressive. A solid score and such marvelous vocalists. The headsets really make things happen. Also, very lovely costumes, sets, and the actors themselves. The embellished sound also enhances the whole production.

You must be very proud and you should. Congratulations on such a momentous occasion in your musical life. I know the feelings you and Kate shared of your previous U.S. and Russian Premieres. They will last forever. There are not words descriptive enough to fully describe the internal feeling one has when others perform works that came from within.

Another example of the genius of Garry Garritan who has provided all of us with the necessary tools to take our musical ideas and make something great out of them with his Sample Libraries.

Looking forward to Act Two......

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Very cool Randy...so do you speak Russian or did you have it translated?
    Also, you've probably explained this in the past but I'd like to hear how you came about writing Dorian...were you commissioned or did you write it as spec work?
    Thanks,
    GRB

Very cool indeed. Both Igor(my Russian boss for the last 25 years) and I really enjoyed this.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Wonderful, wonderful! I noticed that I had to click on fast forward before the video would load, but the experience was well worth the minor server problem. Where and how does one obtain performance rights of your musical?
    Tom, thanks for the report on what you had to do for playback. It's possible that the buffer was just taking time to load before the vid was available. I tested it on 3 computers until I was getting things as smooth as I could, but of course things are bound to vary from computer to computer.

I had to keep reducing the quality of the vid in order to get it to stream without stopping on the test computers, which is a drag. And I was disappointed to find out that my site server, Tripod, doesn't allow streaming of MP4s which are Much higher quality than these small Flash files I've had to use. Oh well!

Booking info! Thanks for asking, of course I should post that too. The page with these Flash files was put together just for you guys, later I'll be getting the vids up on You Tube. But I should go ahead and add the contact info on that current vid page. This is the email to use:

dorian.the.musical@gmail.com

That's the contact email for getting inquiries to Michael Butler who represents the show.

Thanks much, Tom.

Randy

Go Back to forum