• Register
  • Help

Topic: Scenes from an Enchanted Forest

Smile Scenes from an Enchanted Forest

This piece was written at the request of our local Chamber Orchestra conductor (he is also the Associate Conductor of our Colorado Springs Philharmonic also).

Due to problems with the audio rendering I had in Finale 10 on Windows 7, I had to break it into 3 pieces -- the software that renders the score into a .wav would, after a few minutes, would start "stutter" -- I can't find a better word...

Has anyone had that problem in this environment? My new computer is loaded (memory, disk space, etc) so I can't imagine that hardware is the problem...

Anyway, the piece, which is about 15 minutes, start at the beginning at my soundclick page:
    ( http://www.soundclick.com/kepeaceusa ) -- in the player that starts automagically when you go to this page. The piece vary widely in style throughout, from fanfare to wild, to mysterious, gentle, intense, etc

Any feedback welcome

ps if interested -- scroll down on this same page and there are videos of my Requiem concert -- and thank you for those who gave references for the PR and posters, etc.
    Listen at: www.soundclick.com/kepeaceusa
    Scores at: http://stores.lulu.com/ke_peace

Re: Scenes from an Enchanted Forest

Karen Peace!

First and foremost, it is WONDERFUL to see you back again

Perhaps you have been posting, and I just haven't seen it. It seems there is/was some weird thing going on with the Class Kijiji thing, so I wasn't quite sure what to make of your post at first, so here's to hoping that people will soon realize that it in fact, not a post about never used Guitar with Jackson speed

Enough about that, now onto music!

I think the first composition of yours I heard was the one about blinds, and the imagery of the dancing light that was associated with that (sorry I cannot remember the title right now), and since then, I have really admired what you do as a composer and user of GPO. You are great at using a large range of styles and evoking many emotions with the samples provided in GPO. Scenes from an Enchanted Forest is no different. You have a nice blend of atmospheric and thematic sounds that really bring out the sometimes looming, sometimes spritely life that can be found in the forest. (Or Enchanted forest, though I'm not sure I've ever been in an Enchanted Forest, I would imagine it would be a lot like your music )

Again, glad to see you back, and thanks for posting!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Shelton, Washington State

Hello Karen,

It's great to have you posting here again.

I really liked Scenes from an Enchanted Forest. It was an interesting and pleasant musical journey.

Such a large and varied work!

I hope you can figure out how to save it as one file. It sounds like a software issue. I'm sure someone familiar with Finale can help you.

You might want to repost so you show up as the poster and not the spammer that has hacked this site.

Red face Re: Scenes from an Enchanted Forest

Hi Karen!

I still remember your first move, a bit naive, and some little frustration because of that. Now I see how mature and deep is your actual skill and knowledge, but most, I remember and I read about your story, and find it a very nice lesson-of-life.

I feel it so emotionally because I had to use all my will and energies to study music when I was young, fighting against the logic that being not a kid, being not a pianist and being working and studying other disciplines so much, I had no chances to get my high Composition degree in the Conservatorio... but I did, with excellent results, against all.
    I recognize myself in your words, so simple to say, but so hard to realize:
    be humble but never give up, keep being a student, make it for passion... and if you are a composer...you will succeed.

Congratulations and all the best for your wonderful musical life.

Hi Karen,
    A lot of really nice sounds & use of themes.
    One thing that strikes me in general with long pieces is the lack of breathing space-moments of silence for the ear to organize an ending & new beginning.
    In all entertainment-books; movies; plays, etc, prediction is key. I know you've heard this. The reader/listener should be able to predict about half the time what will come next. Never being able to do so frustrates, and always being able to is boring.

Hey Karon! A very nice piece. I think it is a worthy sound landscape for ANY enchanted forest. I enjoyed the listen.

Go Back to forum