• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Ethnic library

Share/Bookmark

New Ethnic library

I just got that new ethno/ world library from Best Service. It\'s very good. Some good drums and metal instruments, descent plucked instruments, some good woodwinds. 2 velocity small memory patches mostly. I was hoping for a few middle eastern/ indian bowed sustained instruments. Does anybody know what those kinds of instruments are called? They sound like a violin mixed with an accordian in an eastern scale with alot of swells and pitch bending ( could even be a wind instrument, for all I know ) . Any libraries with these instruments? I think Peter Gabriel used this sound on the \"Last Temptation of Christ Soundtrack\".

[This message has been edited by Nick Phoenix (edited 10-21-2000).]

Re: New Ethnic library

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick Phoenix:
    I just got that new ethno/ world library from Best Service. It\'s very good. Some good drums and metal instruments, descent plucked instruments, some good woodwinds. 2 velocity small memory patches mostly. I was hoping for a few middle eastern/ indian bowed sustained instruments. Does anybody know what those kinds of instruments are called? They sound like a violin mixed with an accordian in an eastern scale with alot of swells and pitch bending ( could even be a wind instrument, for all I know ) . Any libraries with these instruments? I think Peter Gabriel used this sound on the \"Last Temptation of Christ Soundtrack\".

[This message has been edited by Nick Phoenix (edited 10-21-2000).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have always thought that The Last Temptation of Christ was a remarkable score in itself. The musical influences are really well represented in the instruments used and I think the instrument you are referring could be a Turkish Shawm (although Gabriel uses a number of Turkish and Egyptian reed instruments throughout alongside middle eastern fiddle and Pakistani Qawwali singers as I recall). The Turkish Shawm is a reed instrument and I think they usually come in a couple of sizes (16\" and 19\") and have 10 finger holes (three of which are used for tuning).

Unfortunately I don\'t know if one of these have been sampled well and if they have I surely have not heard of the library! I would really be interested in seeing a multi-velocity library of these types of middle-eastern instruments and it would be wonderful if somebody could pull this off. There are a vast number of really amazing sounding middle-eastern and Asian instruments out there that would be just wonderful if sampled correctly. I think it would be a very worthwhile effort although it might be tricky to create a set of samples that represents the unique tuning system found in such music. Perhaps we would be best sticking to hiring real players for total accuracy with these types of instruments until we can perfect the samples.

Ryan.

[This message has been edited by Synth2k (edited 10-22-2000).]

Hey Nick,
    I bought \'Ethno World\' about 3 weeks ago and it does have some great sounds on it. I wasn\'t to thrilled with the gamelan sounds though. I wish it had more instead of all of those shakers and claves, etc. Some of the bell type sounds sound a bit to cold for me. I was hoping for a little more fullness and warmth with the bell samples.
    I am disappointed with the tablas. Not even any loops! It does have some very nice woodwinds and I love the Kantele and Metallphon.
    I think the instrument you\'re talking about is the doudouk. Peter Gabriel used it alot in \"The Last Temptation of Christ.\" It is a reed instrument from the middle east. Peter Gabriel uses it in the first song on \"Passion\" in the intro I believe (a low drone with the doudouk then the song goes into a percussion frenzy). I to was hoping to get a sample of that with Ethno World. It\'s such a pretty sound. Hans Zimmer used it in \"Gladiator\" also. It\'s also used in the TV show \"Xena\" alot.
    If that\'s not the sound you\'re talking about then it might be the Ney Flute which sounds alot fuller and breathier.

I believe you\'re talking about a Dudak. It\'s a great instrument and one that I\'ve been looking around for in sampled form. However, it\'s an extremely expressive instrument and I don\'t think that it would be possible to sample it convincingly. Certain instruments I just don\'t believe can be sampled, this being one of them. It doesn\'t have to do with memory issues, it has more to do with the fact that the sound of the instrument is dependant upon the subtle fluctiuations of the breath stream. It\'s a little hard for me to put into words, but it\'s like how when sampling a tenor saxophone, you can sample all of the scoops, bends, staccatos, etc. and you can even sample vibrato, but you can\'t deliver a performance like Dexter Gorden or Lester Young, because of the way that they play. Each note is interconnected with the next and the vibrato and breath stream keep the notes sounding as though they belong together. This is why I don\'t think that solo woodwind instruments can ever be convincingly sampled.

Of course, this is simply my opinion and I\'m open to being wrong on this, but I have yet to hear a sampled woodwind instrument that I couldn\'t tell was sampled, orchestral or otherwise.

Physical modeling on the other hand is entirely capable of pulling off what samples cannot. I\'m working on Matt Black (Patchman) to program a dudak for the vl70m. If anyone can do it, he can. He told me he\'ll \"look into it\" but I haven\'t heard of any progress. I\'m just keeping my fingers crossed.

Nick, if you want to hire a great dudak player, I have a friend in LA who works with the guy that played on the Gladiator soundtrack. I could get his number for you.

-IO

Thanks for all the info. IO, I would love that number! bunschel@aol.com

Could be an Esraj, Nick. sorta like a violin.

Go Back to forum