• Register
  • Help

Topic: Questions re Instant Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Smile Scenes from an Enchanted Forest

With classic Jackson speed, sound, and high performance. This is a Brand New, never used Guitar, with Original Jackson Tags... The JS32R Dinky electric guitar features an alder body, rock maple neck,

More...

Questions re Instant Orchestra

I have GPO (newest), and am considering the possibility of buying IO.

I am not interested in the various "mood" presets, and am not a film or game composer.

However, I understand that the ensemble patches in IO may be better than those in GPO. Is that the case? If so, why? What makes them better?

Also, what makes IO "instant"? How is the workflow different than in GPO? As far as the program doing the orchestrating for you, does that mean that if one has only a melody and chord progression to go with it, that IO could create an orchestration for full symphony orchestra from that? (Kind of like "Band in a Box" for Orchestra? "Orchestra in a Box"?) Or if one has an arrangement for piano solo, that IO can orchestrate that?

Re: Questions re Instant Orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by maiki View Post
    I have GPO (newest), and am considering the possibility of buying IO.

I am not interested in the various "mood" presets, and am not a film or game composer.

However, I understand that the ensemble patches in IO may be better than those in GPO. Is that the case? If so, why? What makes them better?

Also, what makes IO "instant"? How is the workflow different than in GPO? As far as the program doing the orchestrating for you, does that mean that if one has only a melody and chord progression to go with it, that IO could create an orchestration for full symphony orchestra from that? (Kind of like "Band in a Box" for Orchestra? "Orchestra in a Box"?) Or if one has an arrangement for piano solo, that IO can orchestrate that?
    Hi, Maiki - All good questions - I can see you weren't around when IO came out and several of us were doing a lot of postings to help explain what the new Library is.

I did a series of video tutorials to show IO in action. That was in response to newcomers asking for a step-by-step explanation. There are 6 videos, all up on You Tube. Here's the first one, and from there you'll find the other 5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIzyT...6&feature=plcp

I also want to answer your questions directly here:

--The patches in IO aren't "better" than those in GPO, they're just different. GPO, as you know, gives the user all of the individual instruments in an orchestra, along with some section patches such as for the string sections. What IO has are layers of instruments, such as patches that give you strings, woodwinds and brass all in one patch.

--What makes IO "instant" is that the user can more quickly build full sounding recordings with fewer patches. Since most of the patches are layers of sound, the user doesn't need to put dozens of individual MIDI tracks into a project - the number can be cut at least to 1/4 the number.

--NO--IO does not do any orchestration for you. It's not like Band in the Box. You couldn't take a piano arrangement have IO do all the orchestration work for you. That was the biggest misconception when IO first came out.

Please watch the tutorial series, and I'm sure you'll understand better what IO is.

Randy

Go Back to forum