• Register
  • Help

Topic: please help!!

Share/Bookmark

please help!!

I am a guitar player and am new to computer-based composition. I want to compose MIDI drum/bass/synth tracks. I have gigasampler and cakewalk as my sequencer. Now I need to know what to do next. I am trying to find sample cd\'s. For instance I came across bob clearmountain\'s drums II, but I don\'t think it has ethnic samples (djambe, clave, etc). How do I arrange for the MIDI to map to sounds? Is there a tutorial out there somewhere?

Also, are there any great cd\'s out there for doing synth composing. In particular I want to be able to compose string ensemble tracks to use in instrumental guitar music.

Basically I am lost and need guidance!

-Brian

Re: please help!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bhuether:
    I am a guitar player and am new to computer-based composition. I want to compose MIDI drum/bass/synth tracks. I have gigasampler and cakewalk as my sequencer. Now I need to know what to do next. I am trying to find sample cd\'s. For instance I came across bob clearmountain\'s drums II, but I don\'t think it has ethnic samples (djambe, clave, etc). How do I arrange for the MIDI to map to sounds? Is there a tutorial out there somewhere?

Also, are there any great cd\'s out there for doing synth composing. In particular I want to be able to compose string ensemble tracks to use in instrumental guitar music.

Basically I am lost and need guidance!

-Brian
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are many excellent instrument libraries available in the Giga Sampler format, including ethnic percussion as well. The quickest and easiest way for you to learn the art of sequencing is to get Band In The Box from PG Music. I would suggest that you purchase their latest Mega Pak version which includes pretty much everything. It is very simple to learn and use......within minutes, you can very quickly generate quality Midi sequences which you can play along with. After you generate a sequence in Band In The Box, you can save it as a standard midi file and import it into Cakewalk. After importing the sequence into Cakewalk which you quickly and easily generated in Band In The Box, you can look over and evaluate the sequence in Cakewalk and learn very quickly just how a sequence is orchestrated. This sequence generating process with Band In The Box, and imported into Cakewalk for learning and evaluation......which at that time the sequence can also be further manipulated by yourself if you so desire, will very quickly diminish the mysteries of sequencing in your mind. From that point on, with a little bit of work, you can become an expert with the art of sequencing. Check out this web site for Band In The Box......www.pgmusic.com

Go Back to forum