• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is garritan libraries crescendo/dimiuendo control is volume change?

Share/Bookmark

Is garritan libraries crescendo/dimiuendo control is volume change?

Is garritan libraries crescendo/dimiuendo control is volume change? i know works fine for some uses but makes gpo etc less usefull me. but still have few good things like harps,harpsicord,and organs. at least these i can directly say.

Re: Is garritan libraries crescendo/dimiuendo control is volume change?

Hello, JUPEKU

I am not positive, but from your post, I have the impression you may be working with a Notation program, as opposed to DAW software. Is that correct?

There are several kinds of volume control in MIDI. Standard MIDI Controller #7 volume control is intended just for setting the Potential volume of an instrument. That's why software has the faders in their mixers controlled by CC7.

But the standard MIDI controller for actual performance volume is CC11. This is called "Expression."

In the Garritan Libraries, CC1 (controlled by the Mod Wheel of a keyboard) is the primary control for expressively playing an instrument. This is what you would use for Crescendo and Dimiuendo, and also for the more subtle but constant volume changes that an instrument can have over the course of a passage.

CC2 can control volume instead of CC1 - this is used by wind controllers. And CC11 can also be substituted.

These are the controls you want to look at for musically controlling your Garritan instruments.

Randy

I use DAW at least now becouse i not understand much about notation etc. and i talk correvt way for these libraries control volume when i want play crescenos etc but i want know is there still only one sample per note. and i talk this modwheel/breath controler way which seem s correct way what i trying understand how is done before i even think buying.

Quote Originally Posted by JUPEKU View Post
    I use DAW at least now becouse i not understand much about notation etc. and i talk correvt way for these libraries control volume when i want play crescenos etc but i want know is there still only one sample per note. and i talk this modwheel/breath controler way which seem s correct way what i trying understand how is done before i even think buying.
    Hello again, Jupeku

I use Sonar, a DAW program, so understand a lot about how to use Garritan in a program like that.

You're asking "how is done" - Do you have a keyboard? MIDI keyboards usually have a Mod Wheel. To control the Garritan instruments, you move that wheel to record volume control which changes the sound of the instrument as well as its volume. If you don't have a keyboard, you can draw MIDI CC1 data in the Piano Roll View of your software.

Randy

still not correct ansver i trying understand if modwheel controls sample crossfade (=you can test test in timbre changes it is this or at least filter cutoff controlling) or its volume change like some old stuff. ps. i talk all Garritan libraries.

still not correct ansver i trying understand if modwheel controls sample crossfade (=you can test test in timbre changes it is this or at least filter cutoff controlling) or its volume change like some old stuff. ps. i talk all Garritan libraries.
    OK, Jupeku - I'm sure you understand I'm doing the best I can to understand your questions. I think I can now give you the answer you need, based on your new post.

The Mod Wheel does control Timbre change in Garritan instruments, by means of controlling a complex filter. The result is the sort of natural sound you want, and cannot get by just moving a mixer's fader up and down with CC7.

I think I've understood you now, and feel my answer will be helpful. I hope you soon use GPO and/or any of the other wonderful Garritan Libraries!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    OK, Jupeku - I'm sure you understand I'm doing the best I can to understand your questions. I think I can now give you the answer you need, based on your new post.

The Mod Wheel does control Timbre change in Garritan instruments, by means of controlling a complex filter. The result is the sort of natural sound you want, and cannot get by just moving a mixer's fader up and down with CC7.

I think I've understood you now, and feel my answer will be helpful. I hope you soon use GPO and/or any of the other wonderful Garritan Libraries!

Randy
    I trying get better set soon (in my "money level" soon) after i upgraded my computer. i know Garritan products dont need it but i need other stuff but i think garritan maybe is needed maybe some uses. hard describe becouse we all have own ears.

Hi Jupeku,

As Randy has outlined, with Garritan libraries there are three ways to control volume/timbre, with the three MIDI controllers CC#1 or CC#2 or CC#11. In all the cases which I can check, only IO and GPO4 admittedly, for most instruments (not all) there is just one sample per note. At the highest and lowest extremes of an instruments range one note may be 'stretched or 'compressed' to cover two or even three. The ARIA player uses sfz 'instrument' files to implement the complex filtering needed to achieve the volume and timbre changes.

This can be checked by examining the files within the 'samples' folders where you can see files with e.g. C4 then C#4 etc. then the same for different articulations, not multiple samples for different dynamics.
    Then try opening an sfz file from within the 'instruments' library in Notepad and you'll see additional information about the use of the samples.
    Look within the <region> sections where you'll find single samples defined, and occasionally 'lokey' and 'hikey' occurring rather than just 'key'. (Don't alter anything for goodness' sake!)

Unlike some more expensive libraries, that have multiple samples for each note (some as many as 6, pp thru ff), which then use CC#1 to do a dynamic cross fade between the samples as well, sometimes, as CC#11 for expression control (for sustaining instruments).

(One of the many reasons why I maintain CC#11 should be used for expression rather than CC#1.)

So, Garritan libraries AFAICT use just one sample per note for most instruments.

However, if one does the same examination of samples and instruments for the Steinway, one finds the key velocity ranges 'lovel' and 'hivel' defining something like five velocity ranges. In this case 'velocity' is used to switch samples rather than any MIDI controller code.
    As far as I can see though (after just a quick scan), this is the only instrument to use multiple dynamic samples per note.

Correction, the Steinway has just two sets of 69 samples covering the 88 notes, mezzo and forte.
    There are then 5 defined ways of 'playing' those samples with key velocities of 1 to 49, 50 to 94, 95 to 106, 107 to 116 and 117 to 127.

Any help?
    SysExJohn.

i know this single sample only thing but some libraries dont even use filter weird thing these still sounds quite nice i think....... and some i thinked now little more gpo when i think Dongles,and problems what i heared wih OS X Lion.... and i need more powerful computer almost all other libraries than garritan stuff. and i have stuff which dont need better computer and its have limits. maybe even more than what is in gpo 4 and these others.

Go Back to forum