Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Snowdrops

Share/Bookmark

Snowdrops

This one's called Snowdrops.

I'm using GAS and IO for the pad.

http://www.box.com/s/63ar323r3oq0j7iarsse

Re: Snowdrops

Being glad that there aren't snowdrops anymore and spring is coming soon, I'd wished that all snowdrops we had last winter, had that friendly and romantic character as shown in this piece. Sounds nice on this saturday morning. Maybe you should blend the piano a bit more with the background. This is a piece for IO and piano as a unity, not a pianoconcerto where the piano must sit in the forground demonstrating the virtuosity of the pianist.

Raymond

Lightbulb Re: Snowdrops

Hey, this piece has a simple and touching beauty (I can see snow drops faling from the sky when the sweet down arpeggio starts...).

If I may say, it deserves a bit of technical enhancement: in my humble opinion the bass of the piano (as almost always happens when you mix the piano in soft and airy ambience) is too loud and percussive. To improve it one need to make what the pianist instinctively does (e.g. playing softer the Left Hand = lower MIDI velocity of bass part, or softer dynamics in notation software; more legato = add pedaling or put slure in Human playback notation etc. etc.)
    To keep the right accent it is some time useful to edit velocities keeping just a bit higher the fisrt note of a phrase, and lowering the rest according the requested dynamic: several notation software do it automatically, but manual editing is the only way for soft and sweet performances, even when you record yourself on a MIDI keyboard).

The rest is soft as the winter snowing night should be...

I agree with what everyone else has said. This is such a peaceful listen! (Why that sentence required an exclamation point is a bit confusing, though)

I really enjoy the tender melodies and light accompaniment you have used throughout this. Though I am familiar with snowflakes, I do not know much about snowdrops. I think your musical description is a most unique but effective way of describing them!

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    I do not know much about snowdrops. I think your musical description is a most unique but effective way of describing them!

Thanks for sharing!
    Stupid me. I interchanged the word snowdrops with snowflakes. Snowdrops are flowers, just looked it up in the dictionary. That can happen when english isn't your native tongue.

Raymond - really speaking double dutch

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Stupid me. I interchanged the word snowdrops with snowflakes. Snowdrops are flowers, just looked it up in the dictionary. That can happen when english isn't your native tongue.
    Actually, I didn't know snowdrops were a type of flower, either! Good to know, though!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Being glad that there aren't snowdrops anymore and spring is coming soon, I'd wished that all snowdrops we had last winter, had that friendly and romantic character as shown in this piece. Sounds nice on this saturday morning. Maybe you should blend the piano a bit more with the background. This is a piece for IO and piano as a unity, not a pianoconcerto where the piano must sit in the forground demonstrating the virtuosity of the pianist.

Raymond
    Hi Raymond,

I see you discovered what a snowdrop is. I guess I should have mentioned that. Here in the PNW they are the first bulb to flower in February that marks the end of deep winter.

I was debating the mix on this and I agree the other instruments could be more out front. I was using IO's Enchanted patch which isn't really a pad but a group of instruments and voices that to a degree produce random results. I probably need to spend more time experimenting with IO.

Thank you for posting your opinions and comments.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    Hey, this piece has a simple and touching beauty (I can see snow drops faling from the sky when the sweet down arpeggio starts...).

The rest is soft as the winter snowing night should be..
    Thanks Fabio,

The beauty of the snowflake is like the snowdrop flowers that cover the ground. One from the sky and one from the earth.

If I may say, it deserves a bit of technical enhancement: in my humble opinion the bass of the piano (as almost always happens when you mix the piano in soft and airy ambience) is too loud and percussive. To improve it one need to make what the pianist instinctively does (e.g. playing softer the Left Hand = lower MIDI velocity of bass part, or softer dynamics in notation software; more legato = add pedaling or put slure in Human playback notation etc. etc.)
    To keep the right accent it is some time useful to edit velocities keeping just a bit higher the fisrt note of a phrase, and lowering the rest according the requested dynamic: several notation software do it automatically, but manual editing is the only way for soft and sweet performances, even when you record yourself on a MIDI keyboard).
    I'll try lowering the left hand velocity a little and see what happens. And with the phases I actually did some lowering the velocity of the first notes of the phases so I guess I should have left them alone.

I appreciate your knowledgeable input on this and thanks for listening.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    I agree with what everyone else has said. This is such a peaceful listen! (Why that sentence required an exclamation point is a bit confusing, though)

I really enjoy the tender melodies and light accompaniment you have used throughout this. Though I am familiar with snowflakes, I do not know much about snowdrops. I think your musical description is a most unique but effective way of describing them!

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael,

I'm glad Snowdrops produced a peaceful diversion for you as it was intended with it's ambient quality.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    This one's called Snowdrops.

I'm using GAS and IO for the pad.

http://www.box.com/s/63ar323r3oq0j7iarsse
    Wow, Phil - This is a revelation to me - what a softy you can be! I mean that in a good way - I somehow just hadn't pictured you writing something this ethereal and sweet. It's uber gentle and pretty. Nice!

You got me curious to check out the "Enchanted" patch in Instant Orchestra. That's one of the multi-layered Ensemble pre-sets, and I hadn't tried it before.

OK, part of that patch is an extremely slow attack envelope. That was achieved with the selection of individual patches, And by setting the Attack in the Controls panel on several layers to emphasize the super slow attack even more.

I think you have this ensemble group playing the same MIDI file as the piano? So most of the time we only hear the high strings, then on the few sustained notes, the rest of the Enchanted instruments come in. And that's of course fine, if that's the effect you wanted.

Any patch in any synth that has such a slow attack can be used in basically two ways: As-is, creating that always-delayed swell after the onset of a note, Or with the MIDI data driving the patch to be moved to the left, before the beat. If you do that, the swell is reaching its peak closer to the actual start of the notes. That approach can work at times.

--You just tripped me out into poking around with that patch. Trying different ways of layering that with the piano could be fun to do.

But meanwhile, it's very soothing, nice music--Thanks for it.

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast