• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What do all of you guys do for a living?

What do all of you guys do for a living?

I was just curious what you guys do for a living? Obviously we all love doing music, but I was wondering how many of us do music as a job or a hobby.
    I currently play keyboards 4 nights a week in the house band at the \'House of Blues\' in Myrtle Beach, SC. We\'re primarily a funk band, but we also do some jazz stuff (Miles Davis,etc.) and rock(Hendrix, Doobie Brothers, etc.) and blues(Muddy Waters).
    Also, as far as composers go, who do you guys most admire? I\'ve been digging Thomas Newmans stuff lately (American Beauty, The Shawshank Redemption).

Re: What do all of you guys do for a living?

Thomas Newman is a great guy I have to admit that my fave is undoubtly John Williams though.
    I work at a just-started company doing tv and film commercials as an editor/soundeditor. I do music on a hobby basics - I\'ve done a couple of short films, a couple of computergames and am currently working on music for a PC RPG.

Love Shawshank\'s score

I\'m currently a freelance Composer/SFX designer.....actually I started up a An Audio Post/Consulting company called \"The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra\". I\'m crossing my fingers...I\'ve gotten enough work over the past 2 years to keep the bills paid and afford some new toys/samples. Done a couple of bigger vid games and some high and low profile Flash animations.

The last big one is due out at the Playstation 2 launch....hopefully the press doesn\'t sink me

Currently live in Taiwan (with my flutiful wife) writing music for children\'s story books as well as children songs for students learning English as a Foreign Language (aka EFL).

I use Cakewalk Pro 9, Gigasampler and Aark 20/20+ (many crashes but with the chance to be creative it\'s worth it in the end to re-boot so many times).

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 10-05-2000).]

San Jose, Ca, USA

Having MIDI studio since 1984, used to make audio track for Video tape production (never made enough money to pay rent)...A a retire of dancing club guitar/keyboard player (never got pay enough for the instruments)...Now doing audio DVD tracks for karaoke (keep loosing money on Giga and PC, no marketing yet)...Fulltime job in R&D electronic/computer to pay the bills.

Music is my hobby, and a major part of my life. I\'m sitting here listening to Vaughn-Williams\' Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis - serving as a blunt-force reminder of the fact that I\'m hopelessly addicted. I work in the software industry as a systems engineer and sequence with Cakewalk 9, a WamiRack, a Terratec EWS-88MT, and other stuff.

Steve Mitchell
    The Classical MIDI Resource
    The CMR Players

[This message has been edited by SteveMitchell (edited 10-09-2000).]

Hey KingIdiot

I know this is slightly off topic, but I have a couple of questions for you. I was recently hired to score a video game for the PC. It is being distributed by Sierra and will have worldwide distribution. Having never scored a game before I am afraid of getting taken advantage of. I was wondering if there are typically any back-end deals like royalties that should be expected. Also, on the games that you have done, did you keep things like publishing or did you have to sign away everything? I am also wondering if I can send a cue sheet to ASCAP but I know you need to be the copyright owner to do this. This company is not very forthcoming and I am in the process of negotiating my contract right now. Any help would be very appreciated. By the way, if anyone else know feel free to comment. My email address is cliesch@aol.com

I\'m a doctor in ER working odd hours everyday. Had been arranging music for about 12 years now (musicals etc). Work has not been kind to allow me more time. Quite difficult to get 2 things going on at the same time but I\'m still coping - for the moment.

I\'m a real estate lawyer in Corpus Christi, Texas. Between work and home, I try to cram in as many hours as I can composing with Gigastudio and Cakewalk. I would love to produce music for a living, but I just don\'t have the talent to switch. It sure is great fun though. My favorite composers are Danny Elfman, John Williams, and an eclectic range of all music.

Doug Bircher

I\'m doing some free-lance psychoanalysis here in Vienna. I\'m actually not very interested in this composing/sampling/music scene, i\'m just doing some research for my work. I found this site to be very useful for the developement of a new interesting theory of mine, as there\'s some fine examples of penis envy around here.
    Thank you guys for your contribution!

Go Back to forum