• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Warrior's Return

Share/Bookmark

Warrior's Return

Hey all,

This might be the last orchestral piece I post here as I've started using Garritan instruments less and less. Of course, if I use the piano I'll post something here.

Most of the percussion are elements from IO, there's only one drum that isn't. I used the lush string samples from GPO again, but this is a practice I'm phasing out on my work. I also bought a new reverb plugin that replaces every reverb I used before. Originally I was using the library reverbs as I had up to this point never found a plugin I liked - but this was an inconsistent mish-mash of different reverbs that made it sometimes difficult to put everything into the same 'space'. Now I have one reverb on everything (though tweaked instances for strings/brass/choirs) - but I think it all melds together nicely. The reverb is ArtsAcoustic.

So, for my orchestral swansong I present this:

www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: Warrior's Return

Hi Graham,
    A great blending of instruments & voices. Both were clear & balanced. I assume with a mastery of this measure you are moving on to new challenges.
    Musically it made sense, although the orchestra hits may have been a little strong. I suspect that was what you wanted but perhaps a stronger higher brass sound would have been stronger.
    There are a lot ow ways to proceed and you did well.

Gary

Spectacular, Graham! - You probably know we've grown to expect that from your work, but you never disappoint. This one probably even ups the "punch power" quotient. The vocal choir sounds super, the whole thing does. Expertly arranged and recorded.

--It's a drag to think we won't be hearing more from you here. Suggestion - When you're posting in General Discussion, let us know about new things we can hear, or put it in your signature or something - That way we can keep abreast of your output.

Love this, Graham--Thanks fort!

Randy

Graham! I like the way this piece starts off in a rousing, energetic fashion. I can see the warrior from the image battling away with the enemy. The majestic transition was very effective. I really liked the harmonic movement in that section. I do wonder what the warrior was doing at this point. (perhaps he was sharing a smoothie with the ugly guy.) Of course they had to get back into battle, hence the rousing, energetic feel again. Nicely done. Thanks for posting. Jay

Howdy all - thanks for listening.

Thanks for the comments Gary. Such a world of difference was made to the instruments when I changed reverbs. That clarity is party due to that, the rest is because I went over it with a fine tooth comb. I think the main orch hits are ok for me, I like lots of percussion banging etc. if the track calls for it. Though it did cause a problem as initially had trouble mastering this track because I maxed out the dynamic range almost immediately. When I got to the end there was nowhere to go dynamically - so I adjusted everything from what I wanted to be the loudest part going backwards, and eventually got it to behave.

Cheers Randy, nice to hear you're still enjoying my works. I've gotten fairly ok at mastering tracks now and was able to give that choir that 'punch' you hear. My pieces have started to benefit from a lot of dynamic tweaking after initial recording. You might recall I mentioned before how I mixed through the MIDI stage, well no longer. Everything get's bounced now to audio, and that's mostly because you had mentioned it - reckoned I should try it. I'll never go back to MIDI mixing now. I like your idea about the general forum section, so I'll be taking advantage of that.

And Jay, your comments made me laugh. I was going for the idea that the warrior was near defeat and after one of those 'cinematic' styled moments where it all slows down as he recovers from whatever might have happened, he gets back up and kicks butt. Well something like that anyway, personally, I think he loves smoothies.

Can I cheat a little? I just finished uploading a new piece to youtube (fairly fly through them when I'm inspired) - and this will be the last in the listening room. Not a new thread, certainly not fair to do that, so I just attached it below.

I've returned to 'The Hobbit' for inspiration. I'm quite proud of this little piece, and it's quite different from the one above.

I'm liking the convenience of the youtube videos appearing in the thread.

Thanks all and best regards
    Graham
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hello Graham, great to hear another couple pieces from you!

(I, too, greatly enjoy the convenience of youtube videos in-thread...I am listening to your second post while writing a response, all in a single window-tab!)

I'd echo what others have already said about your first post. Very energetic with an excellent contrasting middle section, and an absolutely wonderful job of rendering as well.

Your use of the choir in both pieces is wonderful, certainly has the quality Howard Shore made iconic with the Lord of the Rings. Both pieces together exhibit a wide range of emotion, and it is clearly obvious that you enjoyed writing both of these.

Thanks a bundle for sharing, and I will certainly be looking out for your posts down the road, be it in the Listening Room or General Discussion!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Graham!
    It is very late here and I need to get to bed, but after checking out this latest of yours, I must take a moment to say how much I liked it and your great use of the choir elements. Reminds me a bit of Carl Orff, but for sure with your stamp on it. Must be something in that Irish air, that inspires such feats of evocation!
    Well done and please don't go too far away!!

Thank you for sharing!
    sd cisco

Thanks for listening guys, and to the new Hobbit piece too.

I'm a sucker for both these styles of orchestral music. Listened to a lot of Carl Orff in my day, as well as Jerry Goldsmith who's work is another big influence on me - certainly for the choral stuff.

The Hobbit piece is rather simple, musically. I found myself walking through each bar, not going anywhere unpredictable, but I personally love to listen to music like this. Being a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings soundtrack, it maintains that pacing, orchestration and tone that encapsulates the movies for me.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Plowking,

Warrior’s Return perfectly achieves the cinematic quality I believe you are aiming for. The beautiful middle passage with the solo voice is delightfully reminiscent of the song for the dead that occurs after the Battle on the Ice scene from Alexander Nevsky. I speak not of the melodic idea but rather of the mood.

Fine work, Graham!

Sean

If I may ask here, what were the choir and voice samples?
    ~Rodney

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast