• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Saving Garritan in Sibelius

Share/Bookmark

Saving Garritan in Sibelius

I seem to be getting more and more of the Sibelius under control. One thing I have not found yet is how to avoid the Garritan instruments from changing when I save a Sibelius project.

As a rule, I use COMB groups (as opposed to solo) instruments. However once I save and close what I’m working on in Sibelius and re-open it a day later, all the “group” instruments have been changed to “solo” instruments. What sounded full and resonant the day before is suddenly thin.

Also, I notice that no matter what tempo I have the piece in when I save and close it, the next day it has returned to 50% of that tempo.

Surely I don’t have to re-install instruments and tempo every time I re-open a selection in Sibelius using Garritan libraries.

Re: Saving Garritan in Sibelius

Hi, Tom - Well, I'm glad to see that you at least have ARIA working in Sib now. I wasn't sure if you'd licked that first issue yet.

Are you using the KS versions of the CMB patches? Those switch from groups to solos, so I'm wondering if something like that is involved.

Tempo being re-set--That's a new one on me. --Be sure to post your questions at the Sib Forum also. Whenever I've had a question, I've gotten answers there.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    I seem to be getting more and more of the Sibelius under control. One thing I have not found yet is how to avoid the Garritan instruments from changing when I save a Sibelius project.

As a rule, I use COMB groups (as opposed to solo) instruments. However once I save and close what I’m working on in Sibelius and re-open it a day later, all the “group” instruments have been changed to “solo” instruments. What sounded full and resonant the day before is suddenly thin.

Also, I notice that no matter what tempo I have the piece in when I save and close it, the next day it has returned to 50% of that tempo.

Surely I don’t have to re-install instruments and tempo every time I re-open a selection in Sibelius using Garritan libraries.
    Tom,

Are you using the Soundset for COMB? If so, you shouldn't have to re-load anything; the set up with solo instruments will open that way each time. It sounds as though you are doing everything manually, with no soundset. (?) Good idea would be to post this on the Sib forum.

As to Tempo - do you have a metronome mark put in? If not, the slider will always return to the center each time you open it; if you set the tempo to say quarter note = 80, then the next time you open the score, the slider will be in the center, and the center will be 80. I suspect you are manually moving the slider to get the desired tempo - that's fine for playing around, but if you want something to stick, then put in a MM mark.

Hope that helps. If not, then ignore...
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Sound sets? What are sound sets? I have the libraries loaded into ARIA and Aria appears in the pulldowns in Sibelius. When I open ARIA all the libraries are there and load with no problem. If that is manual, how do I get sound sets and where do they have to go?

I finally made contact with Sibelius and was told not to worry about Garritan libraries because Sibelius sound sets would be upgraded soon and that I should use them. (this scares me because frankly the Sibelius sounds are quite bad)

I asked if sound sets and libraries were the same thing. He said they were not, but that complete information would accompany the new Sibelius sound sets.

That was NOT the answer I was hoping for.

I finally made contact with Sibelius and was told not to worry about Garritan libraries because Sibelius sound sets would be upgraded soon and that I should use them. (this scares me because frankly the Sibelius sounds are quite bad)

I asked if sound sets and libraries were the same thing. He said they were not, but that complete information would accompany the new Sibelius sound sets.

That was NOT the answer I was hoping for.

Tom - This topic of getting and installing Sound sets for the Garritan Libraries was what we were previously talking about on this thread on the Technical Forum:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...PO-4-sound-set

I posted the link there to to the Garritan Sound sets at the Sib site, and on that page are the instructions for how to install them.

Didn't you ever do get those?

Randy

Sound sets? What are sound sets? I have the libraries loaded into ARIA and Aria appears in the pulldowns in Sibelius. When I open ARIA all the libraries are there and load with no problem. If that is manual, how do I get sound sets and where do they have to go?
    --They are the instrument definitions which you have to have in place, or you'll be starting from scratch every time like you've been doing. That's what we've been talking about for weeks.

See my reply above this one, I'm replying out of order.

EDIT: And be sure to see rpearl's response #3 above. He's steering you right about the tempo and also the SOUND SETS!---lol.

Randy

Hi Everyone,

There seems to be two very similar threads going so I'm posting this here in the hope of helping solve some of the problems.
    Rpearl is correct as to the automatic loading and saving of instruments if you are using a sound set.

If soundsets were included with Sib 6, I can't see them not being included in Sib 7 but I could be wrong.

I'm pressed for time as usual but I have put up a screen shot of my configuration menu. If Tom has the sound sets for the libraries he has bought and installed, they should show up in the drop down menu when he clicks the arrow (highlighted in yellow)

Sibelius should load the sounds chosen from that sound set automatically with the saved score.

Have to go now but will check in later tomorrow

Good luck
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Yes, as above - after choosing/activating Aria as a Playback choice (left column), then use the menu tab in the right column to select the soundset. Things go pretty much automatically from there. One small thing that has to be handled manually: if you have a violin part in your score, the default will be for a section of violins, not a solo. You choose the solo from the Mixer - there shouldn't be any reason to fiddle with the ARIA interface.

Hope that helps.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Tom,

Sorry - should have read your post more carefully. No, the soundset is not the library - it is a file that allows any specific library to talk to Sibelius. For instance, with the GPO soundset, I can write the word pizz, and Sibelius will automatically make the keyswitch happen - I don't have to do anything else to get that effect; if you have a different library (East-West, for example) the soundset will allow you to easily access all the techniques available.

So, select the soundset. Make any changes in the Mixer ( I suspect that may be why things aren't "sticking" when you reopen the file").

Any luck with the Tempo issue?

Hang in there. It will get sorted out.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Go Back to forum