• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Any new string libs being done?

Share/Bookmark

Any new string libs being done?

Now that we have Gigasampler/Studio, all we need is the samples to take advantage of it. Does anybody know if any companies are working on new stringlibraries for GS? The current libraries are pretty low on articulations - they have one articulation (you could say, velocity) for legato playing and one for staccato - two if we\'re very lucky. What we need is a stringlibrary with 4 or 6 velocity layers for both legato, detache, marcato, staccato and pizzicato. And, I don\'t know if this would cause phasing trouble or other not-so-good sound-artifcats, but x-fading between the velocity layers would be interesting too.
    Of course such a library would be huge, and I\'m not so sure that I like the \'all-in-one\' sample approach programming of Advanced Orchestra. I\'d prefer a sample consisting of legato+staccato+detache, but not ornaments, runs etc - they\'re used pretty rare anyway.

I hope someone are working on something cool, but maybe it\'s not happening - afterall it\'s a lot of work to do, just for one platform.

Simon

Re: Any new string libs being done?

Simon, Georg from Best Service posted me a reply and said that they are right now making a sustained strings xsample library and that it would hopefully be out before the end of the year.
    Dan Deans solo strings are out now and they are supposed to have nice legato violas, violins, and cellos. He also posted me back in a reply on the Sonic Control page and he redid the viola sample on Gigastudio and made it sustain alot longer.
    Dan Deans strings also come with arco/vibrato, spicatto and pizzicato samples all for $149.00.
    I\'m really looking forward to hearing the new xsample sustained strings more then anything. Hopefully it will be out soon, but Georg said that they are putting quality time in making this library and didn\'t want to leave out anything.

I know about those libraries, but what I really want is string ENSEMBLES.. not solo strings. Of course, if the Dean library is good, I\'ll buy it, but I have much more use for goodsounding, warm violin ensembles, huge John Williams-ish cello sections etc. However a good use of solo strings is to mix with ensembles to add a bit of expression to your strings.

Simon

I couldn\'t agree more. What we really need now in these giga times, is a new \"bigger\" string ensemble library with velocity sampled legato, detache, staccato, etc.

We have now got Quantum Leap Brass for the \"ultimate\" brass and Donnie\'s Percussion for the \"ultimate\"! percussion.
    What\'s \"left\" now is the woodwinds and the string ensembles.

Maybe Nick or Donnie could do them too?

Simon - It is happenning! The new string library I\'m working on will take advantage of the features of Gigasampler/Studio™. There will be multiple dynamics (p,mp,mf,f, etc.) on different articulations (legato, pizz, marcato, staccato, sordino, and numersous others). Moreover, the finest instruments were recorded (Stadivaris, Guarneri, Montegnanas, etc), played by some of the finest players, and recorded in Lincoln Center. 22, violins,12 first violins, 10 second violins, 10 viola, 8 cellos, 7 contrabasses, and each instrument solo. I\'ll put an instrument list on my web site. It was recorded entirely in 24 bit/88.2khz with B&K, Neumann mics, Agogee convertors,etc. There are articulations and features that will be unique and groundbreaking. I think you\'ll be surprised.

Gary Garritan www.garritan.com

[This message has been edited by Garritan (edited 07-08-2001).]

A couple suggestions - how about harmonics and divided string sections for example the 1st violins divided into either 2 or 3 sections. Also, how about separate samples for 1st and 2nd Violins. This will help the phasing problems when they play unison. I would also like to have 2 violins, 2 violas, etc. for baroque type music. At the hardest suggestion - at a price most of us can afford. (The Ultimate Percussion Library is at a good price point)

I found some of my answers at your site. Not the price though The only thing that worries me in what I read was that \'the real decays are heard\'. I prefer to have looped or very very long string samples, as this can be done in the real world - the players will bow differently and thus overlap eachother, as I\'m sure you know Will you include looped strings?

Simon

Simon, I had two mic placements. Not too close, a pair of B&K 4006s about 12\'-18\' away (with a Jeklin disc) and a pair of Neumann KM84s slightly further. If it was any closer, one or two instruments would dominate.

There are long string samples (over 20 seconds on legato). With samples that long, I don\'t think loops are necssary. This way the natural legato bowing will be heard. I don\'t think there are many situations where notes will be held over twenty seconds - therefore, looping may not be necessary. If we need it, we can always do it.

I hope to have the ensembles done by the end of the year. I have not set a price yet. I\'m hping to get some input.

Gary

Garritan, that sounds real promising! But how did you mic it? I hope it wasn\'t done like Advanced Orchestra (ie. the mic inside the violin), but more like Miroslav or Kirk Hunter. The attacks of the AO strings are mostly useless, unless you do very aggressive string writing.

When can we expect this library to be finished, what will the price be etc? When will we hear a demo? I can\'t wait!

Simon

I have to agree with Haydn. Currently, I know of no Strings set that provides for having 1st and 2nd violins. Maybe Gary\'s will be the first.

Steve Mitchell
    The Classical MIDI Resource
    The CMR Players

Go Back to forum