• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan JABB Aria Player sound

Share/Bookmark

Angry Garritan JABB Aria Player sound

Hi,

Recently I bought JABB and found that it is now using Aria player. I must say that I feel a bit dissapointed by the sound of it, do not like it at all. I used JABB 5 years ago (in a studio I used to work for) and it sounded really different, more reallistic. If my mind serves me well I think the sampler used was Kontakt.

Has anyone experienced tha same issue? Or it is just me being biassed about Aria player.

Thanks,

Jhon

Re: Garritan JABB Aria Player sound

Count me in.
    I got into sample libraries pretty recently, and bought JABB and GPO among others, both running in ARIA. I do not have any experience about the relevant counterparts running in Kontakt but, yes, I agree that the newly arrived sound way too muffled. I often re-import the samples' sets in Independence and run the sound from there and there is a HUGE difference as sounds become way richer and brilliant. It is not ARIA's fault, it is rather the way the samples are programmed, with lots of filtering and unnecessary eq.

Fab

If the samples are sounding muffled, then you are not using the controllers properly. Proper use of CC1 (modulation) is necessary to get the sounds to come to life. If you remove the filtering, then you are just stuck with the raw samples. The filtering is used when sounds get softer to emulate what real instruments do. Most instruments when played softer have more of the fundamental sound and less harmonics.

The programming in ARIA is very close to what the original programming was in the Kontakt versions. Many side by side comparisons were done when the libraries were ported over to ARIA.

I would recommend reading the manual carefully to take full advantage of the controllers.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    If the samples are sounding muffled, then you are not using the controllers properly. Proper use of CC1 (modulation) is necessary to get the sounds to come to life. If you remove the filtering, then you are just stuck with the raw samples. The filtering is used when sounds get softer to emulate what real instruments do. Most instruments when played softer have more of the fundamental sound and less harmonics.

The programming in ARIA is very close to what the original programming was in the Kontakt versions. Many side by side comparisons were done when the libraries were ported over to ARIA.

I would recommend reading the manual carefully to take full advantage of the controllers.

Jim
    Jim.... assuming that we haven' t read the manual and we do not know what CC1 does makes up for a very superficial reply of yours.
    I am not the enemy. It is as simple as digging in my previous posts to understand that I actually am a big fan of Garritan's libraries. Of course, nothing is perfect in this world and I felt like pointing out what, in my opinion, is definitely something that could be improved in your programming.
    I do like the whole philosophy behind cc1, I am only saying that sometimes filtering and eq is excessive and tend to shade the sound too much. Not much of a flaw, as it becomes really, really annoying just in a few isolated instruments, like GPO's solo strings.

I usually like to play around a bit with your programming, modifying a few parameters in the sfz files. I also modified the solo strings so that they play almost without filters, cc1 is disabled and volume is velocity-dependent. So.. as you can see, no manual is needed here.
    Other times, as already said, I just import the samples' sets into another sampler and make the patches in there. I like to program the patches "your way", applying velocity dependent filtering, eq and attack envelope. I just do it more mildly and smoothly so that the sound doesn't get too muffled.

It is just "sound", jim, something very subjective, too subjective....

Fab

Go Back to forum