• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: IO issue-what could cause this?

Share/Bookmark

IO issue-what could cause this?

Occasionally I can be playing a patch (Many Timpani in ensembles in this case) and can get a huge blast of white noise (or pink or some dang color) 3 times louder than the patch (enough to scare the hell out of me) with a long reverb tail on it.
    Is this a known issue and can I do anything about it?
    Thanks very much,
    GRB

Re: IO issue-what could cause this?

What is the host software you are using? PC or MAC? What soundcard are you using?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    What is the host software you are using? PC or MAC? What soundcard are you using?

Jim
    Sonar X1d/PC (i7 2600 with 16 GB RAM)/Delta 1010 with latest drivers
    Thanks Jim,
    GRB

I don't have the latest version of Sonar. I'm still on 8.5.3 and I haven't had any issues with white noise blast issues.

Maybe we have some other X1d users out there that could check the Timpani ensemble patch.

You may want to post on the Sonar X1 forum to see if anyone else has had this issue with the ARIA player with Delta soundcard.

Jim

I asked the same question about two months ago and could not find an answer. Because the experience is so intense I have stopped using earphones because it literally hurts. In my case it happens only with percussion and, once it begins, increases to a deafening roar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    I asked the same question about two months ago and could not find an answer. Because the experience is so intense I have stopped using earphones because it literally hurts. In my case it happens only with percussion and, once it begins, increases to a deafening roar.
    I'd agree it is painfully loud but mine only lasts a second or less....but then the damage is done...I've already soiled my pants!
    Have you contacted support regarding the issue?
    Thanks very much,
    GRB

Unfortunately I cannot recreate this and I let a sequence loop using just that ensemble for a while... I use X1 and M-audio audiophile. However the difference is our OS. I am still on XP and have yet to convert to win 7.....

However that being said, I have had Aria behaving oddly with X1 at times randomly where it does not do so with previous Sonar versions.

Also, are you by chance running super low latency? This is sorta tricky to determine..

Robert
    Robert Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Cantabile View Post
    Unfortunately I cannot recreate this and I let a sequence loop using just that ensemble for a while... I use X1 and M-audio audiophile. However the difference is our OS. I am still on XP and have yet to convert to win 7.....

However that being said, I have had Aria behaving oddly with X1 at times randomly where it does not do so with previous Sonar versions.

Also, are you by chance running super low latency? This is sorta tricky to determine..

Robert
    Thanks very much for your reply Robert!
    No, I wouldn't say I'm running very low latency....the Delta 1010 is set to 512 samples in the buffer and the (X1d) project is set to 24/48k reporting a roundtrip of 22.8 msec, 1095 samples.
    Thanks again Robert,
    Randy
    EDIT: I wonder if running 24 bit or 48k could be a factor though? I record vocals with material occasionally so I'd hate to drop to 16 bit just because I'm using 16 bit samples.

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    Sonar X1d/PC (i7 2600 with 16 GB RAM)/Delta 1010 with latest drivers
    Thanks Jim,
    GRB
    Try this to troubleshoot:

- Save your ARIA settings as a custom Ensemble
    - Export the MIDI data for your percussion from SONAR
    - Load ARIA in standalone mode
    - Load the saved ensemble into ARIA standalone
    - Then load and play the exported MIDI

This will be a nice way to troubleshoot if this is a Sequencer/Host issue, an Audio Driver Issue, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Try this to troubleshoot:

- Save your ARIA settings as a custom Ensemble
    - Export the MIDI data for your percussion from SONAR
    - Load ARIA in standalone mode
    - Load the saved ensemble into ARIA standalone
    - Then load and play the exported MIDI

This will be a nice way to troubleshoot if this is a Sequencer/Host issue, an Audio Driver Issue, etc.
    Hey Chad,
    I don't want you to think I'm ignoring your post I am just kinda dead in the water until I get Aria up and running again (waiting to hear back from support).
    In the meantime, like you, I suspect the audio drivers for my Delta.
    When I get ready to troubleshoot though what if I just routed to my consumer speakers in X1....that way I could keep working instead of just troubleshooting.
    Testing in the stand-alone could take a very long time as it doesn't happen often at all.
    Thanks,
    GRB

Go Back to forum