• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: New composition posted!

Share/Bookmark

New composition posted!

Hi Everyone.
    I just posted a new composition that I wanted to share with you, my fellow Giga buddies! This is an action cue from an animation that I just got done scoring and it exemplifies my greatest effort so far in my pursuit to emulate an orchestra with GigaStudio. I think it sounds damn good, but hey...I wrote it Let me know what you think. Here\'s the URL:
    http://www.mp3.com/JameyScott
    The piece is called \"Blades of War\"

Here\'s the lowdown on what I used:
    The brass is my custom library, the Woodwinds are me and my trusty WX5 Wind Controller, the percussion is (of course) Donnie and Sean\'s Ultimate Percussion, and the strings are partly custom, but there\'s some Ultimate Strings and Miroslav strings mixed in there as well.

The visual portion of the animation is a futuristic sword fight on a space station that looks absolutely amazing, but unfortunately it\'s still rendering and will be for a couple of weeks.

Enjoy (and thanks for listening)!
    -IOComposer

Re: New composition posted!

I was unable to play the hi-fi version or download the file. I kept getting an error that it was corrupted. The other hi-fi versions worked fine on your site. What I heard in the lo-fi version sounded pretty good!

Hmmm...that\'s wierd. I got an error with all of the hi-fi and low-fi versions, but I was able to download it. I think there\'s just something wrong with my RealPlayer.

It\'s kinda frustrating when you\'re mixing and everything is so punchy in all of its 24 bit, uncompressed glory, but then you compress it to post and it just destroys the fidelity entirely. Oh well. Beats playing stuff for my friends over the phone!
    -IO

I am listening to your composition while I am writing this reply. I am not a pro in any sense, but I find your work very impressive. My main interest is in the sound quality. I notice a depth(3D) in the recording, but I don\'t hear any obvious trace of reverb unless you use a really good one. Is it part of the samples?

Interesting. There\'s actually a LOT of reverb. All of my samples are completely dry but I use both a TC M3000 and a Lexicon PCM90. I mix in the verb for each section separtately with different decays and mix levels for each section. I\'m concerned mostly with the hodgepodgey-ness of all of the samples. In all my effort, I\'ve never been able to achieve that homogenousness of having all of the instruments recorded in the same room together. Good reverb helps a lot, but it\'s a very subtle thing that I don\'t know how to improve upon. If anyone has any suggestions...do tell!
    -IO

Wow Jamey it really sounds great! especially the percussion Oh, I guess I should say I\'m just kidding so people won\'t think that I am being conceeded.

Is there anyway you could isolate and post the woodwinds? I would be really interested in hearing them.

Donnie

Hi Donnie. Thanks.
    No problem posting the Woodwinds. However, I ran out of room on my server so I had to post it here on the Northern Sounds sample page. It may take a couple of days before it\'s actually posted.
    -IO

Great stuff Jamey.

Was that all running on Giga simultaneously??

Thanks, Chadwick!
    Yes. Hard to believe, isn\'t it? Although, I do run GSt on two computers. Even with 512M of RAM on each computer, I still run into problems when I load the full orchestra. I don\'t max either of them out because I start crashing if the sample number is maxed out and then I need to edit. It\'s really nice having that second computer to balance the weight. Oh, and I should also add that some of the woodwinds were played through my vl70m. THANK YOU NEMESYS!!
    -IO

Not bad IOComposer. However I think the reverb you uses is the weak point in the composition. It sounds very fake to me at many instances. Your strings work best. But the horns (or is it contrabasses - can\'t really tell) in the very beginning have way too much reverb - the same applies to the trumpets. Especially audiable on the staccato trumpets - your legato ones work a lot better. I KNOW that staccato is much harder to achieve with samples than legato sequences, but I think you\'re making it worse with some very obvious fake reverb - did you use the TC M2000 a lot? You have the incredible PCM90 so you should be able to do a more muddy and realistic verb.
    I\'m not that impressed with your woodwinds either - your legato brass and all of your strings work really well - I\'m especially impressed with your violins at 0:23-0:25!
    Then I think you\'re overusing the percussion but ok - it might work for the animation you\'re scoring
    But all in all I don\'t think it sounds THAT close to a real orchestra.... Both due to some samples and balancing but mainly due to the IMHO not-so-good verb work. Have you listened to some stuff by Antonio Genovino? I think he\'s the closest I\'ve heard to a real orchestra - also the Bruckner piece in the User Compositions space is very very well done.

Just my 2 cents...

Simon

Go Back to forum