• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Can't stay loaded

Share/Bookmark

Can't stay loaded

IO that is...
    okay I have 2 instances of IO, one Evolution 1 and the other, Earth Drums 2.
    I can mess around in Piano Roll View (in Sonar X1) with one of them and lose sound on the other.
    I go to the individual instance and reload and then it play fine...but only for a while, when I start to mess with one taking the focus off of the other then the one that loses focus has to be reloaded.
    To try to isolate the problem I loaded an instance of another VSTI (Dimension Pro) and it doesn't seem to have the problem.
    Anyone else seen this kind of behavior?
    Thanks very much,
    GRB

Re: Can't stay loaded

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    IO that is...
    okay I have 2 instances of IO, one Evolution 1 and the other, Earth Drums 2.
    I can mess around in Piano Roll View (in Sonar X1) with one of them and lose sound on the other.
    I go to the individual instance and reload and then it play fine...but only for a while, when I start to mess with one taking the focus off of the other then the one that loses focus has to be reloaded.
    To try to isolate the problem I loaded an instance of another VSTI (Dimension Pro) and it doesn't seem to have the problem.
    Anyone else seen this kind of behavior?
    Thanks very much,
    GRB
    No, I've never seen something like that. First, do you mean literally two instances of IO? That means 2 ARIA instances open, one with Evolution 1, the other with Earth Drums 2. Maybe you mean you just had two patches loaded in 1 instance of ARIA--Evolution 1 which uses 4 slots, and Earth Drums 2 which uses another.

Not many things are totally impossible, but this sounds like a user error of some sort. More details would help, a screenshot would be good.

Randy

Thanks Randy,
    Yes I mean 2 instances of IO...but now that you mention it I should probably fill up one instance before opening another.
    That said, what would you like a screen shot of (sorry to end in a preposition but right now I don't care
    Thanks again Randy,
    GRB

Thanks Randy,
    Yes I mean 2 instances of IO...but now that you mention it I should probably fill up one instance before opening another.
    That said, what would you like a screen shot of (sorry to end in a preposition but right now I don't care
    Thanks again Randy,
    GRB
    OK, yes, that's more accurately 2 instances of ARIA. And yes, generally it's only prudent to fill up one instance of ARIA before starting another. Sometimes partially filled ARIAs can help with organization, like having different instances dedicated to different sections of an orchestra.

Dangling preopositions! Can't help you there--I never understood why they're supposed to be bad.

Probably several screen shots - Enough to the track Inspectors so I can see where signals are going, then here would be a good one - screen split (just move the dividers) so that a track you're working on is above the PRV, and you have the note view on in the track. Result would be the track version of the data you have open in the PRV.

BUT I'm not sure if I can look at it today/tonight. I could take a look tomorrow if I don't get back.

Maybe the shots won't reveal it, but there has to be something wrong with your signal routing.

Randy

I just opened the project and made the following discoveries:
    No sound from either instance of IO but the MIDI activity in Inspector shows signal from my controller (the Dim Pro track had sound and working as expected).
    I reloaded one of the instances of IO (Evolution) and got sound so I reloaded Earth Drums.
    After playing back successfully a couple of times I moved a note in the Earth Drums track and lost sound on it as well as the other instance/track of IO (Evolution).
    I opened the Evolution instance of IO and loaded a GPO instrument (full strings) in the place of Evolution and played around in PRV for at least 10 minutes with no issues.
    It seems to me X1d (as opposed to X1c) doesn't like 2 instances of IO (I didn't have this problem before installing the new update).
    I didn't make the screen caps you requested Randy but I'm pretty certain I have the in/outs configured properly (all ins are omni and outs going to the separate instances of IO and the Dim Pro track is going to Dim Pro with all VSTs directed to the Master which is a Delta 1010). Also if it was a configuration issue why would it be intermittent?
    That said, let me know if you still want to see screen captures.
    I did upload a screen cap however...it is of remnants of something involving the location indicator when moving the mouse around in PRV (see yellow highlight area below).
    By location indicator I mean the feature that shows measure/beat/tick (I don't know if your 8.5 version has this feature).
    Anyway when I move to the right I see the little vertical bars in the timeline as shown below.
    If I move it to the left they disappear.
    I'm going to present this at the Sonar forum but I'm wondering if I have a corrupt installtion here.
    I'll report back and thanks very much Randy.
    GRB

Please disregard the screen capture...it must be a video card/driver issue as selecting "adjust for best performance" in the "Adjust appearance and performance of Windows" utility fixed it.
    I don't know if it has anything to do with the other issue but I reckon I'll find out sometime today.
    Thanks,
    GRB

Hi, Randy - Thanks for the follow up. I'm afraid I'm flummoxed. I have a few things to pass on, but unfortunately, no solutions:

No sound from either instance of IO but the MIDI activity in Inspector shows signal from my controller...
    You probably know that MIDI activity will display activity even if you don't have a soft synth inserted. It's just saying "Yep, ya got MIDI going on there." So when there are problems, like you're having, all it really indicates is that your keyboard is getting through to the program, or you have MIDI data in a track.

...I reloaded one of the instances of IO (Evolution) and got sound so I reloaded Earth Drums.
    After playing back successfully a couple of times I moved a note in the Earth Drums track and lost sound on it as well as the other instance/track of IO (Evolution).
    It's not a huge point, but since later on you say you'll be posting this issue at Sonar, it'll be helpful if you keep your terminology correct so people don't bust you on it (they get tough over there!) or you don't confuse people. "Instance" refers to one copy of a soft synth. So you can have multiple instances of ARIA, not of IO. If you have one instance of ARIA in a project with all 16 slots filled with IO instruments, you don't have 16 instances of IO - you have one instance - of ARIA, with 16 instruments/patches/sounds loaded. May as well get that right.
    ...It seems to me X1d (as opposed to X1c) doesn't like 2 instances of IO (I didn't have this problem before installing the new update).
    OK, it's possible you found an incompatibility issue with X1d which just came out this week. You have to un-install it to test that theory. It's happened several times that when Sonar does an update, ARIA is left partially broken and the Plogue team has to do a Sonar specific update. Since X1c was in place for so long, I would go back to it. I haven't updated to X1d, but that's because I'm afraid I lost interest in X1 some time ago. Let's just say, I simply don't care for it.
    I didn't make the screen caps you requested Randy but I'm pretty certain I have the in/outs configured properly (all ins are omni and outs going to the separate instances of IO and the Dim Pro track is going to Dim Pro with all VSTs directed to the Master which is a Delta 1010). Also if it was a configuration issue why would it be intermittent?
    What I was hoping to check on was what you're seeing in Track View compared to what you're seeing in the PRV. Some time ago there was a Sonar user who had problems a bit similar to yours - he swore up and down that he'd be editing a track in the PRV but it was effecting a different track. My suspicion in his case was finally confirmed: He was consistently working with the wrong track in the PRV. Once he straightened out what was going on with his signal flow and how to more efficiently use the PRV, he was fine.

But I'm pretty sure you had ARIA/GPO/IO working fine previously, so I think you came up with the best theory in what you said above - that X1d broke its interaction with ARIA somehow.

Since I gave up on X1 some time ago, I can't really test things out here for you. Before writing, I opened X1 for the first time in months--poked at it a bit, gave up in frustration, because now it's been so long since I've used it, I've pretty much forgotten what I learned about it. I have a bit of an irrational detestation for X1, sorry to say!
    That said, let me know if you still want to see screen captures.
    I did upload a screen cap however...it is of remnants of something involving the location indicator when moving the mouse around in PRV (see yellow highlight area below)...
    I forget what that is - it's not the Navigator, yes it's something new in X1. I dunno.

When you post this problem at Sonar, it's possible someone will say "ask rbowser"--because I'm considered a bit of a Garritan expert over there.--Alas - as I've said in this post, I have no idea what's wrong--except that you probably nailed the cause of all this - X1d. You have to uninstall it to see if you can return to the functionality you had before.

Randy

Please disregard the screen capture...it must be a video card/driver issue as selecting "adjust for best performance" in the "Adjust appearance and performance of Windows" utility fixed it.
    I don't know if it has anything to do with the other issue but I reckon I'll find out sometime today.
    Thanks,
    GRB
    You were posting this at the same time I wrote my long response.-- You mean that Navigation-like display above the track went away?

R

It's not a huge point, but since later on you say you'll be posting this issue at Sonar, it'll be helpful if you keep your terminology correct so people don't bust you on it (they get tough over there!) or you don't confuse people. "Instance" refers to one copy of a soft synth. So you can have multiple instances of ARIA, not of IO. If you have one instance of ARIA in a project with all 16 slots filled with IO instruments, you don't have 16 instances of IO - you have one instance - of ARIA, with 16 instruments/patches/sounds loaded. May as well get that right.

Thanks for your patience Randy...I did mean another instance as in I added another instance of the Aria player (not loading additional instruments in one instance of Aria)

What I was hoping to check on was what you're seeing in Track View compared to what you're seeing in the PRV. Some time ago there was a Sonar user who had problems a bit similar to yours - he swore up and down that he'd be editing a track in the PRV but it was effecting a different track. My suspicion in his case was finally confirmed: He was consistently working with the wrong track in the PRV.

Yessir I know exactly what you mean and I have been guilty of doing exactly what that guy did...but I made sure it wasn't the case this time.
    BUT I just soloed one of the Aria instances and both were soloed...it was an aha moment and I thought Randy was right...but it's an incorrect config in the Aria player not X1. So I went to mixer in Aria and they were both on 1/2...I tried to select 3/4 but all is greyed out except for 3/4.
    So I'm off to RTFM to try to learn how to properly set it up....it may not explain Aria unloading the instruments (again...or whatever it's doing) but I know I need separate control of these very different instruments (Evolution and Earth Drums).
    I'll be watching for a reply from you in the meantime though in case I haven't redlined your patience meter yet

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    You were posting this at the same time I wrote my long response.-- You mean that Navigation-like display above the track went away?

R

yessir I do

Go Back to forum