• Register
  • Help

Topic: Augmenting GPO4

Share/Bookmark

Augmenting GPO4

I was wondering if anyone has used Dan Dean's Solo Strings or WIVI Band (or other Wallander library) in conjunction with GPO4, and if anyone would be willing to share their experience using the libraries together (or on their own).

Listening to the sample tracks on Dan Dean's site, I found some of the sounds very similar to what I have achieved with GPO, but the library *seems* to provide more comprehensive solo / small ensemble options based on the limited examples available. Can anyone comment?

Regarding WIVI, I've used the trial version and especially find the brass options to be a little more versatile, and the sounds blended together well. I am considering purchasing the lite library after using the demo - but would be very interested in people's impressions before purchasing.

Thanks in advance. As a hobbyist who enjoys GPO4 a lot, I'm looking for some inexpensive options to add a little more colour. I hope no one minds a topic including non-Garritan libraries in a Garritan specific forum!

Re: Augmenting GPO4

Hi, Polar - I don't have that Library you're talking about, but one of the principals of using ARIA/GPO and soft synths in general is to blend and layer multiple sound sources.

There can be various challenges, depending on the particular pairing one tries - Like GPO has dry samples, programmed with the theory that users can have their own complete control of how much reverb to add to their projects. Other libraries have their samples recorded in a venue with natural reverberation, which means that only "wet" sound can be produced from them. Combining a library like that with GPO would call for trying to match a reverb level on the GPO instruments that matches the reverb on the other Library's samples.

Each pairing up of separate Libraries will present it's own challenges, but it's basically very simple, and most people do that all the time. Anything can be used with Anything else, it's just a matter of the user rolling up sleeves and making it work.

Randy

Thanks for the response Randy, I don't mind a little sleeve rolling if required. Do you find the tools included with various libraries are generally sufficient, or do you use a specific reverb toolset?

I use GarageBand at the moment and do not yet have the luxury of say Space Designer or Altiverb. The WIVI sounds are dry, and even the lite Band player has some degree of reverb control. Likewise the Dan Dean Solo Strings come with dry samples, with some reverb control. Using ARIAs controls to blend it to another library seems straightforward enough, although I'm wondering how difficult it might be to blend the three well given a limited reverb toolset. (Not that I'm unwilling to do the grunt work to learn.)

I suppose then the question of greater interest now would be to know whether anyone who has tried the library would be able to tell me whether Dan Dean offers anything over GPO4 strings, or if I just need to spend more time learning how to carve sound out of the solo strings included in the Garritan offering.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Polar View Post
    Thanks for the response Randy, I don't mind a little sleeve rolling if required. Do you find the tools included with various libraries are generally sufficient, or do you use a specific reverb toolset?

I use GarageBand at the moment and do not yet have the luxury of say Space Designer or Altiverb. The WIVI sounds are dry, and even the lite Band player has some degree of reverb control. Likewise the Dan Dean Solo Strings come with dry samples, with some reverb control. Using ARIAs controls to blend it to another library seems straightforward enough, although I'm wondering how difficult it might be to blend the three well given a limited reverb toolset. (Not that I'm unwilling to do the grunt work to learn.)

I suppose then the question of greater interest now would be to know whether anyone who has tried the library would be able to tell me whether Dan Dean offers anything over GPO4 strings, or if I just need to spend more time learning how to carve sound out of the solo strings included in the Garritan offering.

Thanks again.
    Yes, it'll be helpful if someone who's used that particular Library can give you some input. But from what you say, it sounds like those samples would work in conjunction with GPO as well as any.

I don't have any GarageBand experience, I use Sonar, and use a variety of reverb plug-ins. But I generally use the same plug-in for all instruments in a project, so they're all in the same space - unless a particular project needs instruments to not have that in common, as can happen with more pop-oriented things.

It's as I said before, most people use a variety of instruments from different synths and sample libraries in a mix-and-match way. It's a pretty straight-forward proposition. Since each sound source has its own unique character, you can get nice new blends that way.

Randy

I have the Dan solo strings which I bought years ago when they were for GigaStudio and before GPO came out. They have a decent sound but I never like the attack of the sustained instruments.

I have the WIVI french horns which are okay for being just virtual instruments. The nice thing about these instruments is the stopped and muted instruments and that there are 4 different horns. I find they are nice for blending with other instruments although I usually don't like them exposed.

Vienna (VSL) puts out some very nice libraries although quite pricey! The special edition is a nice library to add to GPO. They include the legato sustained instruments which are nice for exposed solos. The basic SE library is around $400 but also requires a USB dongle. The solo strings to me are better than the Dan Dean solo strings. You can add to these libraries to get more articulations.

Jim

Thanks to you both for your input and advice, you've been helpful. Forgive any beginners naivete as I search for and process information - it's a big world out here in sample land.

I've been eye-balling the VSL SE as a long-term goal as I've been researching, as it appears everywhere I read online, and seems to be somewhat of a standard for sampled orchestral sounds. Encouraging to hear that someone has blended GPO with as opposed to just replaced GPO with them.

I may skip the DDSSA route and save for VSL. In the meantime, perhaps layering WIVIs brass with GPOs will help add some punch where needed. Not to mention I've recently read some positive things about WIVIs capability for Jazz/Big Band etc (at least at a basic level), another interest of mine.

So many libraries so little $ .

Regards and thanks.

Polar, here's something else I can add. You're concerned about beefing up the sound, I think that's basically what you're after, based on your posts.

Some of the most impressive recordings you'll hear from people using Garritan instruments get their effect from a lot of layering. Instead of using one or two french horns, for instance, many will be layered, each with its own track of data, and the results are a thick, rich sound.

There was a piece in The Listening Room posted a couple of months ago, I wish I could think of what it was called - but people were wondering what he did to get his great sound. His answer was that he used many layers of horns and brass, and came up with a sound that was something unique, not "out of the can"--to the point that experienced GPO users couldn't even recognize it.

The point being that you can get a lot more oomph out of what's right there in GPO, without needing to buy additional Libraries of sound.

I offer that as an encouragement for you to experiment more with what you already have.

Randy

Go Back to forum