• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Topic: Lazy Evening - for string quartet

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Lazy Evening - for string quartet

    this is a short relaxed piece I've written in a jazzy idiom, solo strings from VSL-SE

    http://www.robertosoggetti.com/LazyEvening.mp3

  2. #2

    Re: Lazy Evening - for string quartet

    Roberto,


    One of the very few music compositions I've EVER downloaded from this forum and kept on my drive was your "misgiving wip 2", a bit of time ago.
    So... It is always interesting to listen to your music and I wanted to thank you for sharing this quartet.

    Fabrizio

  3. #3

    Re: Lazy Evening - for string quartet

    Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    Roberto,


    One of the very few music compositions I've EVER downloaded from this forum and kept on my drive was your "misgiving wip 2", a bit of time ago.
    So... It is always interesting to listen to your music and I wanted to thank you for sharing this quartet.

    Fabrizio
    thank you, Fabrizio, very nice of you!

  4. #4

    Smile Re: Lazy Evening - for string quartet

    Ciao Roberto,
    I didn't know you write for string quartet as well...

    By the way I also own the VSL-SE (pretty good value for money) but still I find Giorgio's Solo Strings by Garritan better.

    Sound of VSL is amazing, your treatment is great, but still expression sound a bit synthetic. Sound of Garritan solo strings is frequently acid and unpleasant, but the expression is so natural and realistic... still my dream is the sound of Vienna with the control of Sample Modeling...who knows, maybe one day...

  5. #5

    Re: Lazy Evening - for string quartet

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    Ciao Roberto,
    I didn't know you write for string quartet as well...

    By the way I also own the VSL-SE (pretty good value for money) but still I find Giorgio's Solo Strings by Garritan better.

    Sound of VSL is amazing, your treatment is great, but still expression sound a bit synthetic. Sound of Garritan solo strings is frequently acid and unpleasant, but the expression is so natural and realistic... still my dream is the sound of Vienna with the control of Sample Modeling...who knows, maybe one day...
    ciao Fabio, I write for any instrumentation, from solo piccolo to full blown orchestra...
    I agree about the playability of Giorgio's solo strings, but two factors make me choose vsl for quartet writing... first, the cpu load of one instance of the strad equals that of four vsl instr. pro running the whole quartet. Second, the sheer timbre of strad and gofriller is rather unpleasant, and there's no viola. If you want, I may send you the midi and you could do a rendition with lucato/tommasini strings...

  6. #6

    Re: Lazy Evening - for string quartet

    Hey, you two.... you talk like you were comparing the Stradivari's "Soil" vs Guarnieri's "Il Cannone".
    These are SAMPLED instruments, that's all: they do not smell like wood, do not vibrate, do not squeek, do not play out of tune and have no random amount of sticky rosin all over the top plates.

    Fab

  7. #7

    Question Re: Lazy Evening - for string quartet

    Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    Hey, you two.... you talk like you were comparing the Stradivari's "Soil" vs Guarnieri's "Il Cannone".
    These are SAMPLED instruments, that's all: they do not smell like wood, do not vibrate, do not squeek, do not play out of tune and have no random amount of sticky rosin all over the top plates.

    Fab
    hey...about smell an sticky rosin you are right...but...for the rest, who knows...I may surprise you...

  8. #8

    Re: Lazy Evening - for string quartet

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    hey...about smell an sticky rosin you are right...but...for the rest, who knows...I may surprise you...
    .... I regretted my previous comment the same moment I pressed "submitt", as I reckoned there was a "misunderstanding danger".
    Fabio, I did not want to start any flame or so. Then I thought... "ok, the smiley is there, they'll get it". Did you?

    Look, I was actually half joking, half mildly playing down your ongoing issue.
    I do believe that vst instruments sound pretty much all the same. Timbre might change, but the essence is the same. There are decades of good violins, good pianos and so on. I have fun making my own instruments and I assure you that they do not sound much different from the "professional" (and most of the times inexplicably pretty expensive) ones.
    Check my personal vst violin here, http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...17-solo-violin, listen to the Capriccio #5 or the Estro. No commercial vst violin I know will let you hear those bow banging noises....
    Or listen to this http://www.4shared.com/mp3/kmPUhNvK/...e_extract.html. On that thread,.... Roberto (funny coincidence) had posted a rendering of this Bach's Fugue made with Tommasini's Strad. Consider that mine has been made in literally 5 minutes sticking an instance of the vst violin to a midi file found on the net, just as simple. It could sound way better than that... I mean, at least I should fix the velocities...
    Or, again: yesterday in the evening I was trying, invain, to understand why a fretless bass patch I made out of 30MB of Dimension pro samples sounds better than Chris Hein's Fretless Bass (3GB of samples...) with a given bass line. Go figure....

    With all of the above I do not want to say that I am any good in patching vst instruments. I am really inexperienced with these, I fiddle with VSTs purely as a hobby for slightly more than 1 year now. It is just that the whole idea of sampling and the quality of contemporary samplers (Kontakt or the one I use, Independence) are so good that you really have to try very hard to make it wrong.
    I know that it is funny to say things like these in a relevant tematic forum... but this is my opinion.

    Real instruments are another thing and they are beautiful even left in their case or hung to the wall. I am learning the violin since a few months and basically I am still literally a dog, but I prefer a horrible line played with my acoustic violin rather than a perfect line rendered with any vst violin. At least I FEEL like I am playing some music.


    Fabry

    P.S. Apologize to all of you and expecially to Roberto for the huge OT

  9. #9

    Re: Lazy Evening - for string quartet

    That sounds fantastic. Love the chord voicings you came up with. Very nice rendering too. Bravo!!
    Steve Winkler GPO4 JAAB3 Finale 2012 Reaper Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VSL SE+

  10. #10

    Re: Lazy Evening - for string quartet

    Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    ...

    P.S. Apologize to all of you and expecially to Roberto for the huge OT
    oh don't worry Fabrizio, no need to apologize... actually it was nice to listen to your "frankestein" violin, remarkable result indeed.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •