• Register
  • Help

Topic: The French Horn and Tuba by Sample Modeling...wow!

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb The French Horn and Tuba by Sample Modeling...wow!

I got it today...and...wow!

It is amazing from both sound and expressivness like all the other S.M. libraries, but, this time the ensamble as been fine tuned and you get 4 instruments for ensamble building. The unison of 4 is epic!

In parallel I discovered how fun is playing those instruments with an X-Y controller (like KORG NanoPad, wich I use).
    I really recommend it for all the multiple controller libraries (Garritan solo strings, Sample Modeling brass, but in general every program made with cc 1 and cc11 or other for crossfading or expressive vibrato etc. etc.)

Re: The French Horn and Tuba by Sample Modeling...wow!

Ciao, "compatriota",

I did not know anything about Sample modelling, but I' ve to admit I' am pretty stunned about all their products, not only the Horn&Tuba.
    Tommasini is in there, the maker of Garritan's Stradivari & Gofriller discountinued libraries.... now that's some sort of an insurance policy on the quality of those products.
    Not cheap, but surely valuable, or so it seems.

Thanks for your advise on these.

Fabrizio

Cool Re: The French Horn and Tuba by Sample Modeling...wow!

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    Ciao, "compatriota",

I did not know anything about Sample modelling, but I' ve to admit I' am pretty stunned about all their products, not only the Horn&Tuba.
    Tommasini is in there, ...some sort of an insurance policy on the quality of those products.
    Ciao Fabrizio,

well Giorgio is a scientist, (he studied waves and signals treatment for years in the most advanced medical applications), Peter is a pioneer in sampling (his Advanced Orchestra has been THE benchmark for years) and an experienced Sound Engineer, and Stefano is a good musician and producer (he did every kind of music, from pop to adv to TV soundtracks...) but first of all...he is a (self-made and intuitive) genius!!

What would you expect by a scientist, a sound engineer and a visionary genius all together?

P.S. I'm not affiliated with any company, even if I did beta-testing and demo-making for several "little-but-leading" companies like Garritan, BelaDmedia, SampleTekk, Kirk Hunter and Sample Modeling.

i think it sounds superb!!!

What would be the pros and cons of SM brass compared to Cinebrass?

Lightbulb Re: The French Horn and Tuba by Sample Modeling...wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Truckload View Post
    What would be the pros and cons of SM brass compared to Cinebrass?
    Cinebrass is a really different tool: it's a sample library. The SM Brass are virtual instruments.

With just 1 patch, and very little memory footprint (a bit more CPU load by the way) you may reproduce all the real solo instrument sounds articulations and acoustic behaviour.

Then:
    Pros of Cinebrass: ready ensamble with right balance and usual orchestral effects and ambience out of the box.

Cons of Cinebrass: solos are really limited and pretty basic. Patches are huge and articulation management a bit complex. All the sounds are wet, so mixing in non-symphonic ambience creates artifacts and is not realistic.

Pros of SM Brass: extreme realism and playability of every single solo, effective intuitive and coherent programming, anechoic dry signal, you may mix in any possible ambience and position.

Cons of SM brass: the ensemble have to be built by single solo tracks like in reality. The full package is expensive, (but it includes the amazing Solo Sax family of S.Lucato, no Sax in CineBrass). You need convolution reverb to make the ambience (for instance Kontakt or any plug-in effect)

Conclusion:
    if you write only orchestral music in hollywood style with large Brass ensembles, probably CineBrass will do.

For any other purpose, flexibility and realism, go for SM, and you will never look at virtual instruments in the same way after you try it...

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    Cinebrass is a really different tool: it's a sample library. The SM Brass are virtual instruments.

With just 1 patch, and very little memory footprint (a bit more CPU load by the way) you may reproduce all the real solo instrument sounds articulations and acoustic behaviour.

Then:
    Pros of Cinebrass: ready ensamble with right balance and usual orchestral effects and ambience out of the box.

Cons of Cinebrass: solos are really limited and pretty basic. Patches are huge and articulation management a bit complex. All the sounds are wet, so mixing in non-symphonic ambience creates artifacts and is not realistic.

Pros of SM Brass: extreme realism and playability of every single solo, effective intuitive and coherent programming, anechoic dry signal, you may mix in any possible ambience and position.

Cons of SM brass: the ensemble have to be built by single solo tracks like in reality. The full package is expensive, (but it includes the amazing Solo Sax family of S.Lucato, no Sax in CineBrass). You need convolution reverb to make the ambience (for instance Kontakt or any plug-in effect)

Conclusion:
    if you write only orchestral music in hollywood style with large Brass ensembles, probably CineBrass will do.

For any other purpose, flexibility and realism, go for SM, and you will never look at virtual instruments in the same way after you try it...
    Thank you for that very detailed yet clear analysis.

So let us say you have an orchestral piece that calls for a typical brass section of 4 hours, 2 trumpets, 2 trombones, Bass trombone and Tuba, plus standard woodwinds and strings. Based on your above comments, if you had a longer horn or trumpet or trombone solo within the piece you would recomend SM, but if no exposed solos you would recomend Cinebrass? Or am I oversimplifying?

I worry that with an entire SM brass section you might get that synthy everything turns into a big organ sound problem. Or phase problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckload View Post
    I worry that with an entire SM brass section you might get that synthy everything turns into a big organ sound problem. Or phase problems.
    Not if you know what you're doing when it come to mixing. You won't get those problems anyway when it comes to the Horns and Tuba, because they already have early reflections that will help with these sort of things. However, if you have no performance skills, or you don't understand how players phrase, you will find SM difficult. You also need to spend some time learning how to use the instruments and also will need to set up a template with the reverbs as you like them.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    Not if you know what you're doing when it come to mixing. You won't get those problems anyway when it comes to the Horns and Tuba, because they already have early reflections that will help with these sort of things. However, if you have no performance skills, or you don't understand how players phrase, you will find SM difficult. You also need to spend some time learning how to use the instruments and also will need to set up a template with the reverbs as you like them.

D
    I can't say it better.

(I find myself loving the orchestral texture of several instance of SM brass playing together because they have something alive... something so close to my will...but it's because I spend quite a bit of time editing them to the sound I dream.

The libraries sound well out of the box.... but always the same...in a pretty limited range of expressive nuances.)

Go Back to forum