• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GigaStudio 160 / Cubase VST/24 3.7r2 Problems

Share/Bookmark

GigaStudio 160 / Cubase VST/24 3.7r2 Problems

I have used GigaSampler 1.6 with Cubase VST/24 3.7r2 extensively, with no problems, however I have run into two problems with GigaStudio and Cubase. I don\'t think they are related, but you never know.

First.
    MIDI sequences now playback incorrectly. (Cubase, running from within GStudio, playing .GIG sounds). The playback pauses, stutters, slows down, seems to get worse as the playback proceeds, and definitely gets worse as you add tracks.

These are the exact same sequences and sounds that played back just fine with GigaSampler, and nothing else has changed, except that now I\'m using GStudio 160. I\'m assuming that SOMETHING needs to be adjusted, either in Cubase or GStudio. The question is what?

It seems like GStudio requires more horsepower than GSampler, but I\'m only talking MIDI here - no NFX, no audio etc.

I LOVE the improvements made in GStudio, and DON\'T want to go back to GigaSampler, but I\'ve got a project to complete, and the current state of affairs means that I\'ve got to find a solution quickly, or I\'m sunk!

Second problem.
    When I first run Cubase (from within GStudio 160) and attempt to task switch back to GStudio, it takes 1min and 13 sec! (I timed it!)

Cubase goes dull, like it is not selected, and then - eventually - GStudio appears After that, task switching is instantaneous, as it should be.

ANY help or suggestions would be gretaly appreciated.

Lawrence Lougheed
    lawrence.lougheed@sympatico.ca

Re: GigaStudio 160 / Cubase VST/24 3.7r2 Problems

Have you tried converting all your files to 2.0 Lawrence . I have the same sequencer. The only thing diffrent now in my system setup is I have 550MHZ coppermine and 256 megs ram. If your speed and ram is lower, you could be correct about the horse power. I\'ve tried this system o/c at 7333mhz also and it works great.
    Only thing I wish right now is for the effects to be assigned to midi channels rather than on the output channels. I could be missing something though.
    :-)
    PaPa Chalk

PaPa Chalk,

Yes, I have converted all files to V2.0. I am running a PIII-500 with 256MB, Cubase on one HDD, GIG\'s on the second HDD. Remember, I\'m just talking about MIDI here, no audio.

Are you getting the same problem with task switching (the first time, in each session) between Cubase and GStudio? If not, then there is something wrong with my setup.

Lawrence

[This message has been edited by Lougheed (edited 06-04-2000).]

Try this page lawrence it might just help I\'m not getting the same result as you. So far so good.
    http://www.studio201.com/cwu/support/vst/win95.html

Are there any audio tracks along with your sequences. It sounds like you may have to optimize your settings in cubase.

PaPa Chalk

[This message has been edited by PaPa Chalk (edited 06-04-2000).]

I\'ve already implemented most of the recommendations at www.studio201.com/cwu/support/vst/win95.html

Any and all audio tracks are MUTED. I have also tried turning off VST effects. I normally convert GigaSampler MIDI tracks to audio by using \"capture to wave\" and then apply FX to the audio tracks. When I capture, everything is muted, except for the SINGLE MIDI track being played.

This approach always worked with GigaSampler.

Lawrence

[This message has been edited by Lougheed (edited 06-04-2000).]

What sound card and midi device do you have. my cubase loads/unloads almost instantaneous. Try deleting the audio tracks and effects, then save the song as a new file and see if there is any difference.
    If there is a difference I would check the audio setting under system in cubase. If you can tell me what your settings are in cubase system setup i may be able to help

PaPa Chalk

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>What sound card and midi device do you have.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MIDI inteface = MOTU Midi Time Piece II
    GStudio Audio Card = Ensoniq Audio (PCI)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>my cubase loads/unloads almost instantaneous.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Cubase loads/unloads normally. The problem is with task switching. These are the steps that I take:
    1) run GigaStudio
    2) run Cubase (by clicking on the \"Launch Sequencer\" icon in GStudio)
    3) after Cubase has been launched, task switch (using Alt-Tab or clicking on the GStudio icon on the Win98 task bar). This is the point that I have to wait (for 1min 13sec). This only happens the first time (per session) - after that task switching back and forth is normal.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Try deleting the audio tracks and effects, then save the song as a new file and see if there is any difference.
    If there is a difference I would check the audio setting under system in cubase.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I get the same problem with no file loaded (only the def.all). This is a MIDI problem, not audio! (IMHO)

Thanks for any further advice!

Lawrence

[This message has been edited by Lougheed (edited 06-05-2000).]

Oh I see. The sound card maybe the problem. I had the Ensoniq soundcard. In the past it worked well. When I upgraded to gigasampler 1.6 I had the same problems you are having with gigastudio. For some reason Other users were able to get it to work with GigaSampler 1.6 but I wasn\'t so lucky. I think what happened is I upgraded the card with a driver from creative and it never worked properly with cubase after that. by chance one day I booted into safe mode and looked at the drivers in device manager. There were at least five drivers for the same card coming up. After much frustration trying to erase the incorrect drivers I packed it in and switched to the sb live value. No problems since.

Try booting into safe mode and see if there are any extra drivers loaded for the ensoniq. What ever you do not load the new pci drivers from creative, stick to the original drivers that came with the ensoniq card.

Very intresting Lawrence I see what you mean with the task switching. I seem to get the same problem only it changes a litle sooner more like 20sec still it\'s longer than you would expect. It only happens when you first open cubase after that it seems to work fine. I wonder if anyone else is getting the same result. If you do get the same result like myself and Lawrence please post here and let us know.

PaPa Chalk

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Oh I see. The sound card maybe the problem.

Try booting into safe mode and see if there are any extra drivers loaded for the ensoniq. What ever you do not load the new pci drivers from creative, stick to the original drivers that came with the ensoniq card.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as I know, I\'m using the original drivers. How do you force Windows to boot into Safe Mode?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Very intresting Lawrence I see what you mean with the task switching. I seem to get the same problem only it changes a litle sooner more like 20sec still it\'s longer than you would expect.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder if changes sooner on your system, since you have a faster processor?

As soon as you advise about how to access safe mode, I\'ll check those drivers.

Thanks,
    Lawrence

Lawrence
    to access Safe-Mode hit the F8 key as the system is booting up.
    (When you see \"Starting Window,\" but on a fast machine it goes by pretty quick, so I usually just tap the key while it\'s booting. You\'ll get a menu where you can select safe mode.

When you get there R-click My Computer, select properties. If you see any duplicte devices listed, you should delete them both.
    If it\'s a system device, Windows will reinstall the one it needs when you reboot. For your sound card, you may have to reinstall it using your install disk.

It\'s pretty common to find extra drivers for things after any kind of upgrade and removing just one usually doesn\'t work.

Hope this short novel helps though.

Boyd

Go Back to forum