• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Which afforable reverbrator or effect unit is good?

Which afforable reverbrator or effect unit is good?

What would you recommend for AO, Vitous, SOV etc.? Lexicon PCM 91, TC M3000? What about Lexicon MPX 100? It has an afforable price - around $400 unlike very expensive PCM 91 - around $2000. Is the difference of quality of reverbs such big? Does MPX 100 sound distictly better than software TC Native reberb, SB Live Audiotorium and Gigastudio NFX? Or some other afforable effect processor?

Re: Which afforable reverbrator or effect unit is good?

The TC M3000 sounds great. Don\'t forget that things like the TC plug ins suck a lot of CPU cycles.

The mid-range Lexicon PCM boxes (91 & 81) are great for a home studio. I agree that the M3000 is also a good bet. For other types of effects, the Fireworx is also actually pretty interesting!

You might want to check out a thread on Multi-FX units that is going on on the SC forums for more opinions: http://www.soniccontrol.com/forum/Forum5/HTML/000139.html

Thank you for replies. And could you recommend something really good but cheaper tham TC M3000, Lexicon PCM81 ,91? I don\'t need to have a lot programmable parameters. Could you recommend something having quality reverbs ready for use (needn\'t too edit them)?

buy used instead of new, this stuff depreciates quick. Check ebay and Harmony Central\'s classified ads on the net. Sounds like you are looking for some mid priced units that sound good, this is one area that you really get what you pay for, there are no miracles for $100, but using what ever you have or decide to get creatively is the key. Check out the Sony R7, many Studios still use these, just do a search on Altavista and see how many studios come up (used $550), they used to sell for $1500 not that many years back; TC Electronics M2000 is coming down in price in the used market, their M3000 has been equated to a Lexicon 480 (gold standard) in sound however they are still rare on the used market since they are so new and also their used price is still high, from what I\'ve read there is a big sound difference between the M2000 and M3000. Quite alot of folks love the Lexicon sound, for a low-mid priced Lexicon, your best bet is the new MPX-500, which is around $450 new/just used. If you are looking at the mid-high Lexicon 90, I\'d go for the TC Electronics M3000 for an extra $100 or so (a better unit for just alittle more). So in short you get what you pay for, and to save alot of money buy used. If you have to look at a $100 unit, check out the ART 2100 SE, it sounds great for that amount of money, but nowhere near the above listed units.

Well, I gotta say, that if you\'re working in orchestral synthesis, and you\'re using an audio app with DirectX plug-in support, you NEED to check out Cakewalk\'s FX3. It\'s a virtual room sim that uses ray tracing technology to simulate direct and reflected reverberation in a room that you can build in 3D. The orchestral hall and band shell presets do wonders to any of the fine orchestral libraries available for Giga.

I realize this sounds like a sales pitch, but honestly I think you\'d have to spend a ton to get this kind of sound and programmability in a hardware unit. Plus, the UI\'s to die for.

My two-hundredths of one US dollar.

Thanks for the info.
    Now a little beginner quetsion: Are some of that effect units able to work like Gigastudio NFX with GSIF card? I mean ability of diffierent reverbs on more MIDI channels at one time? If no, is it necessary to make pure HD-recording - one instruments with effects to wav track, second to wav, etc.?

Some of the units will do \'multi effects\'. But that\'s not what you\'re after. They simply put a single input signal through a variety of effetcs which can work in series or parallel, but they\'re still working on the single sound.

I don\'t know of any hardware units which would act like several discrete devices.
    I suppose that\'s a major advantage of plug-ins like NFX, the Pulsar stuff and VST.

If you wanted to treat every track with a slightly different effect which is created by a single FX device, you\'re probably right about recording each track through the effects unit one at a time.

Very tiresome though.

Ideally I\'d have a mother of a PC with heps of ram running Logic or Cubase with all the best plugins at my disposal, and a couple of great pieces of outboard gear like the TC or Lexicons. You spend less time wondering what your end mix will sound like - because you can basically hear it developing as you arrange the piece.

If you can\'t afford the earth and don\'t have the grunt in the PC to run plugins, Doc is right. Consider getting a good reverb unit which will give you a nice cohesive overall reverb which works with most of the mix (at different levels) and then a few other cheaper devices which do the simpler processing like delays, flanging, distortion etc.,

You\'ll enjoy yourself more if you can hear what the effects are going to do to your mix before you commit to recording them though - that can be a real fruitless to and fro exercise.

[This message has been edited by Chadwick (edited 08-31-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dis:
    I mean ability of diffierent reverbs on more MIDI channels at one time? If no, is it necessary to make pure HD-recording - one instruments with effects to wav track, second to wav, etc.?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends on what soundcard you\'re using for GigaStudio.

If your soundcard only has one pair of physical outputs (like SBLive) then you\'ll have to do what you call \"pure HD-recording\".

If more than two, this is what you do: first connect output 3/4 to the reverb unit. Then in GSt, assign all the dry sound to output 1/2 and send aux 1 to output 3/4. In this way you\'ll be able to assign different reverb levels by setting different aux send level.

If you want different \"types\" of reverb,
    1. Do the above and then use some NFX reverb. They\'re good in certain situations.
    2. Some hardware reverb unit can be configured as 2 stereo reverb unit, like my Ensoniq DP/4. You can even set it up as 4 mono delay if you want to. It\'s got 4 physical I/Os so you can set it up 1-1-2, 2-1-1 or 2-2.
    3. Buy a soundcard that has good reverb plug-ins.

Deep White

[This message has been edited by Deep White (edited 08-31-2000).]

Burbank, CA. US of Mexico

It seems as though you\'re just gathering a lot of opinions from experienced people instead of spending the necessary time experimenting and evolving your ear. There\'s no way that you\'re going to just purchase good gear based on heresay and end up with pro mixes. You need to evolve your ear for good mixes by experimenting with all kinds of gear. Based on your opinions as to what consititues \"good samples\" in your other thread, you really have some work to do on evolving your ear. You may want to take some engineering courses and learn some of the basics of mixing and engineering. It would also serve you well to spend some time with players of these instruments in order to understand the capabilities and timbres of them. These forums aren\'t going to give you all the answers. They\'re just opinions from everybody who thinks they know something

I started out mixing with a quadraverb and a pair of speakers that I made using some ply wood and my car stereo speakers. Over time, I invested in better gear, but not until my ears dictated that I needed more. Becoming a good engineer takes time and a lot of concentrated experimentation. You need to put in your time and evolve rather than try to take all of the shortcuts. It\'s called paying your dues and it\'s absolutely required for any field, especially the entertainment field. It all shows up in the end result.

Buy something cheap like a microverb and work with it for as long as you can. Once you\'ve exhasted the possibilities of that gear, then step up. Don\'t jump into the pro gear unless you\'re being paid like a pro. You\'ll just end up selling it because you don\'t understand it.

Go Back to forum