• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Raiders March - demo test

Share/Bookmark

Raiders March - demo test

Having bought the full orch. score to John Williams Raiders March, I did this quick mock up of the first 40 seconds.

Hit a big issue with the sustained strings at the 40 second point which I think will be difficult to solve. I've tried a couple of patches but none of them can create the good attack on the strings required at this point. I'll keep at it though.

Deceptively simple orchestration, yet what an amazing sound. These scores are a gold mine for me...

NEW VERSION
    http://www.gamesofcthulhu.com/music/Raiders_March_3.mp3
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: Raiders March - demo test

Where do you purchase full movie scores? I would love to know for my studies also.
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Where do you purchase full movie scores? I would love to know for my studies also.
    ~Rodney
    Just google John Williams Signature Edition scores, you'll find many places to order them from.

Thank you so much! Can you do that with other film composers such as Howard Shore also? I know, stupid question...
    ~Rodney

No, it's not a stupid question at all. John Williams is the only one who has made many of his scores available. But here's a link to Peter Alexander's site. He has several other resources in addition to the Williams stuff.

http://www.alexanderpublishing.com/D...m-Scoring.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Hit a big issue with the sustained strings at the 40 second point...
    --Oh my - That's a "big issue"-? Graham, more power to you, that string entrance sounds fine to me. I guess you're wanting to emulate the original recording more accurately, and the strings are more aggressive on their entrance in that recording?

I looked around for an MP3 of the original to have a listen, and for a free version, could only get a partial clip, and it stops before getting to that 40 second point.

BUT it was interesting to listen to your test side-by-side with the original. Here are my observations about the differences between the two, if the goal here is to make the rendering as much like the original as possible:

--At the very top, the strings are much louder, then fade when the melody comes in.

--A major difference is that in the original, the trumpets aren't sustaining on the melody notes as long as you have them. With them dropping short on each sustained note, the result is cleaner perhaps, punchier.

--When the melody is repeated after those big stabbing chords, the woodwinds are much more prominent, you can really hear the piccolos.

Here's the MP3 I was listening to, I think it's the original:

RAIDERS

Maybe some of this is useful? Like I said, more power to you! I've never even attempted to do an accurate rendering of existing music, I think it would drive me nuts!

Randy

Hey Randy, thanks for the info, really helpful.

I'm not trying per se to emulate the original recording, but there are obvious elements of playing style and tone in the original which dictate the sound that should be heard. There's plenty of versions of the piece on youtube for listening to.

Here's one I referenced
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgncJgSbbck

Note this version is a slightly faster tempo than the score notates.

The biggest issue is of course the part I mentioned at 40 seconds - the strings are quite nicely defined in the recording, but I couldn't get the definition, have a few things to try when I get some time.

I actually noticed the piccolos issue too last night, so have my note already to raise them. Having listened to your clip you posted you can really hear how different recordings of a piece show different elements, or are played in different ways. I think your clip is more the tempo of the score too. Also the timpani and sustained strings in the first 4 bars are easily heard in your clip, not so in the youtube version.

The lesson I learned is not to be expecting to become someone elses recording, but do your own - but naturally my own has needed adjustments. And all in all, this was a very quick mock up, 1.5 hours is all it took.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Ah, yes, I hear the aggressive strings you're wanting, like in the You Tube vid you posted. That is nice - really a sharp, digging in attack, but then they sustain. You have some layering of various string patches to figure out, for sure.

And the opening strings seem totally absent in that version.

This You Tube vid still has the trumpets shorter on the melody notes though, and I think that's an important element.

Interesting project, Graham--Keep having fun with it!

Randy

Yep I agree, I'll shorten the trumpet notes a tad. It would be the natural thing to do because the player would probably taking breaths.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Updated with four more bars in an attempt to improve the strings. Don't think it'll get much better unfortunately.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Go Back to forum