• Register
  • Help

Topic: Composing about Fire

Share/Bookmark

Composing about Fire

If you were to compose music depicting fire, what techniques in scoring, Garritan samples, and mixing would you use? Any specific sounds in IO also?
    ~Rodney

Re: Composing about Fire

Have a look at Händel. He did a good job with the Royal Fireworks

I haven't the faintest idea. Maybe when you set your garbage to fire, you can listen to the sound it makes. Sometimes it is a "woosh", slower burning fires suck the oxygen from the air. Ask a firefighter. Garritan has a windmachine, maybe this can help. Sordino strings playing tremolo at lower registers? Listen to those hot-air balloons. Together with the fire there is always the sound of the stuff which is on fire. Wood on fire has a distinct sound, etc..... A lot of experimenting to do, I think. But don't set your town on fire, please. The sound may be great, but the inhabitants aren't that grateful.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    If you were to compose music depicting fire, what techniques in scoring, Garritan samples, and mixing would you use? Any specific sounds in IO also?
    ~Rodney
    I dont think that fire all by itself can evoke music. It's the human reaction to the fire that will tell you what kind of music to write.

A campfire - simple music; people sitting around a campfire, relaxed, reflective, a pleasant experience
    People in a house on fire - loud, dissonant music; terror, life or death experience, trying to escape
    Firemen responding the same house fire - action music; adrenaline pumping, figthing a enemy of fire, victorius at the end.

I can tell you this after experiencing my first forest fire a few Fridays ago, it starts as utter chaos slash organized confusion. However, unless you've experienced the professionalism of the men and women that put their lives on the line, it may be hard for you to come across a good mixture.
    I just post a piece I am working on for my fire company, "An Epic Adventure" (Reserve3) on the Listening page. Tell you, I am still not there will portraying the intensity and diversity of the fire service but I am getting there (I think).
    Good luck and use your imagination as well as all the tools Garritan has to offer! But, for GOD SAKE don't start your garage on fire!!!

Go Back to forum