• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Golden Dreams" - dance production number from "Tom Sawyer"

Share/Bookmark

"Golden Dreams" - dance production number from "Tom Sawyer"

This is one of my favorite moments from my musical adaptation of "Tom Sawyer." I have no doubt it'll provide the most unexpected moment of the show!
    ------------------------
    Tom and Huck follow Injun Joe and his partner to the spooky haunted house at the edge of town. While safely in hiding, the boys watch the men dig up an old treasure chest overflowing with gold coins.

Tom, Huck, Joe and his partner are all mesmerized by the sight of all the twinkling gold.

As if emerging from the chest, girls comes dancing out in a chorus line, dressed as gold coins!

It's a tap-dance production number--HA!-- And for an extra bit of fun, the girl playing Tom's sweetheart, Becky Thatcher, is the lead dancer.

When the girls finish the number, the guys all shake their heads, snapping out of it, and they're amazed at how the gold put them into such a trance. hehe.

Click the shot below from the "Gold Diggers of 1933" to have a listen.

GOLDEN DREAMS

Garritan instruments used in the mix with other sources:

Trombone 1-JABB
    Bass Trombone - Jabb
    Chromatic Harp - GPO
    Piano Duo - GPO
    Glockenspiel - GPO

And I had a great time taking some tap dance hits and assembling them into the tap track on this.

Randy

Re: "Golden Dreams" - dance production number from "Tom Sawyer"

I loved the trombone part; sounded so very real. I could just picture a good ol' boy sliding around with his 'bone in one hand and a beer in the other, and the tap shoes were just pure ear candy. Loved the work, Randy! It is sure to be a big hit in the production.
    ~Rodney

What a fun dance number - it's like an MGM revival but with a southern twist. As usual all the instruments sound great and very authentic.

The tap dancing would have been a great surprise had you not mentioned it.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    I loved the trombone part; sounded so very real. I could just picture a good ol' boy sliding around with his 'bone in one hand and a beer in the other, and the tap shoes were just pure ear candy. Loved the work, Randy! It is sure to be a big hit in the production.
    ~Rodney
    Rodney!--Great to see you here on my new thread. Aaaah the bone on this - that really was fun to play. Glad you enjoyed that. It's really a sparse arrangement, drums, bass, piano, 4 to a bar rhythm acoustic guitar, and the bone - Sprinkled here and there with the glock, harp and a spacey tinkly synth in the opening. After laying the foundation in, and working seemingly forever to get that piano jiving the way I wanted, it was fun to go to town on the bone part.

Notice I fudged with the bone? I got to some notes in the latter half that are too low, so had the bass trombone step in. But it had the wrong timbre for most of the song. That's the sort of thing I love about using software instruments - Some people are concerned with doing only what's possible, since they plan on or are hoping for live musicians to play the music at some point. My primary concern is getting a good recording, and basically, I'll do anything that I think sounds good!--whether it's possible or not.

Thanks for stopping by, appreciate your reply.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    What a fun dance number - it's like an MGM revival but with a southern twist. As usual all the instruments sound great and very authentic.

The tap dancing would have been a great surprise had you not mentioned it.
    What tap dancing?

Graham, I'll tell you, when the idea for this number came up, I really thought I was going whack. I almost didn't pursue it - But self censorship like that before even getting started really can be unhealthy, you know?--so I jumped into the idea anyway, really getting a kick out of it as I went--And finally came the night when I unveiled the new number to my wife. But I was concerned all over again that the idea was too out there, and that she'd look at me like I'd lost my mind.

She loved it - I was reassured that the unexpectedness of it, and the catchiness of it, would make it be what a production number is supposed to be--a fun musical bon bon that temporarily brings the show to a halt so some good high kicking fun can let loose for awhile. '

But I say "production number" even though this is very modest in its scale, compared to the classic HUGE production numbers of musical comedies, but of course that's in keeping with the relatively small scale of this show. No more than 5 girls should do this, even 3 -- odd number so the lead dancer can be surrounded with an even number of dancers on each side.

Anyway--thanks for writing, I'm always pleased to play more of the show for you, Graham.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Rodney!--Great to see you here on my new thread. Aaaah the bone on this - that really was fun to play. Glad you enjoyed that. It's really a sparse arrangement, drums, bass, piano, 4 to a bar rhythm acoustic guitar, and the bone - Sprinkled here and there with the glock, harp and a spacey tinkly synth in the opening. After laying the foundation in, and working seemingly forever to get that piano jiving the way I wanted, it was fun to go to town on the bone part.

Notice I fudged with the bone? I got to some notes in the latter half that are too low, so had the bass trombone step in. But it had the wrong timbre for most of the song. That's the sort of thing I love about using software instruments - Some people are concerned with doing only what's possible, since they plan on or are hoping for live musicians to play the music at some point. My primary concern is getting a good recording, and basically, I'll do anything that I think sounds good!--whether it's possible or not.

Thanks for stopping by, appreciate your reply.

Randy
    My pleasure for stopping by! You know, a beast of a bass trombone player could possibly play the 4 octaves if he could wail out a high D (I believe that's what I heard.) It's possible, and he would get a standing ovasion in the middle of the musical! When I first saw that you were going to use tenor and bass trombone I thought to myself, "Cool, a duet must be coming up!" I kept listening for it, so I thought to myself that, "Randy must have used the bass for the bottom notes," and then you confirmed my thoughts. I am a sucker for low notes. Did you want the last trombone lick to be a multiple-toungue passage? Just wondering because you had so many wonderful slide glissandos through out that I probably would've simply ended with one also. Feel free to ignore that though, of course, and just call me an idiot.

The vocal and words are wonderful also; love the tenor 1 part higher than the melody. (I bet you have been singing the melody for several weeks now around your house. I love a great tune.) Sounds like friends having a great time. The falls in the catchy melody adds to the entire dream scenario . Great use of triplets to add drive and emphasis on the words also.

I've now listened to this about a dozen times. Thank you once again for all your hard work and letting us enjoy it also.
    ~Rodney

My gosh a wonderful show stopping tap dance! Really great production and score! Enjoyed the trombone! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    ...Did you want the last trombone lick to be a multiple-toungue passage?...
    I've now listened to this about a dozen times. Thank you once again for all your hard work and letting us enjoy it also.
    ~Rodney
    Hello again, Rodney!

Answering the question - Yeah, I wanted everything the way you hear it on the recording. The bone's playing exactly what I wanted!

hehe--you're going to wear the MP3 out--Glad you like it so much!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInFL View Post
    My gosh a wonderful show stopping tap dance! Really great production and score! Enjoyed the trombone! Mike
    Thank you, Mike! Looks like the trombone is a big hit--I'm glad. Constructing a line for it was an especially fun part of this project. We're so fortunate to have these excellent bones in JABB.

Randy

Yo Randy! It sounds just great. It has such a cool early 20th century sound. I love the piano runs in the background. It all just sounds so realistic. Where did you get the dance tapping sound. You sure get a lot of sound out of your instrument selection for this part of the production.
    Once again, thanks for posting this. Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast