• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dorian Ripples

Share/Bookmark

Dorian Ripples

This has got to be the most revised and corrected piece I have written! I suspect a massive attack of Gremlins! But finally, it seems to be in order. The mp3 uses GPO Steinway. Almost 4 minutes long. Light and relaxed.

Dorian Ripples

Richard

Re: Dorian Ripples

Wonderful, Richard - You're such a versatile composer. The rhythmic and open, clear sound of this is so pleasant to listen to. You said it's the most revised piece you've ever done - I think simplicity can be the biggest and most time consuming challenge!

Side note - as a little musical in-joke reference, in my show "Dorian," I had the central character run through the Dorian Mode scale on the piano off stage during one scene transition.

randy

Re: Dorian Ripples

Well, Randy, simplicity was a very strong consideration in composing this piece. Since uploading the mp3, I have made more slight changes which mostly make it a wee bit smoother, and in one case, disposes of an F in the treble with an E in the bass, which gave me great trouble in solving. Some time soon I will upload a new mp3 - maybe! It is such a slow process for me.

Side note here: when it was first performed, a member of the audience asked me if it was named for Dorian Creek, a nearby creek which I did not know of. It was difficult to explain dorian mode to someone who did not really know the difference between major and minor.

Richard

Added: corrected mp3 now available, original link is valid.

Go Back to forum