• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aria Player and Sonar X1 Producer 64 Bit Install Question

Share/Bookmark

Aria Player and Sonar X1 Producer 64 Bit Install Question

HI...I'm in the process of reinstalling my software on Windows 7 64 bit system.
    I own GPO 4 and have the Aria 1.111.1 upgrade which is 64 bit. I don't know if GPO 4 is 64 bit .
    My question is do I install all previous versions of GPO before installing the latest version of the Aria Player ?
    Also do I install into Program files (X86) which is 32 bit or Program files which is 64 bit ?
    Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry for the confusion but I'm still trying to get used to installing software
    in Windows 7 64 bit.

Cheers,
    Don

Re: Aria Player and Sonar X1 Producer 64 Bit Install Question

Quote Originally Posted by deezee View Post
    HI...I'm in the process of reinstalling my software on Windows 7 64 bit system.
    I own GPO 4 and have the Aria 1.111.1 upgrade which is 64 bit. I don't know if GPO 4 is 64 bit .
    My question is do I install all previous versions of GPO before installing the latest version of the Aria Player ?
    Also do I install into Program files (X86) which is 32 bit or Program files which is 64 bit ?
    Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry for the confusion but I'm still trying to get used to installing software
    in Windows 7 64 bit.

Cheers,
    Don
    Hi, Don!

When Aria installs, it automatically gives you the 32- and 64-bit versions. Both go into the Program Files folder, so you don't need to worry about installing the 32-bit version of Aria into Program Files(x86). Same with GPO4, and you aren't installing over previous versions of GPO since they used Kontakt player prior to Aria. The flexibility will come in handy if you end up using other plugins that are 32-bit only. (Sometimes Sonar's bitbridge doesn't play nice.)

Steve

I use both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of VSTs including Aria. I have found that in 64-bit mode sometimes the 32-bit and 64-bit VSTs for Aria conflict with each other and SONAR hangs on start up. To solve this problem, I do not load duplicate 32-bit versions of VSTis in a 64-bit session of SONAR. Once I do this I have no issues. The plugin manager allows you manage this. In some cases, I move the DLLs around to keep 32-bit and 64-bit separate.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    I use both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of VSTs including Aria. I have found that in 64-bit mode sometimes the 32-bit and 64-bit VSTs for Aria conflict with each other and SONAR hangs on start up. To solve this problem, I do not load duplicate 32-bit versions of VSTis in a 64-bit session of SONAR. Once I do this I have no issues. The plugin manager allows you manage this. In some cases, I move the DLLs around to keep 32-bit and 64-bit separate.

Hope this helps.

Jim
    Hi, Jim!

Yes, that's my thought exactly. In fact, I ran into a similar problem when I started using Altiverb recently. I'm a Windows guy, and the latest I could get was Altiverb 6 since the 64-bit version is available only for Mac. (Audio Ease will be releasing an upgrade of Altiverb 7 for Windows soon.) I have Sonar 8.5, so I fired it up in 64-bit. And guess what? Sonar didn't like bitbridge at all. Then I went over to using the 32-bit version of Sonar, and suddenly Altiverb worked perfectly. Long story short -- make sure your DAW and your plugins are integrating with the same OS version.

People who are new to a Windows 64-bit system may not be aware of the fact that digital music applications don't have the same backward compatibility one can take for granted with most general software apps. Thankfully that's why dual installs are there, and it's important to be mindful of the OS versions you'll need to use when you run your music software. (Until 32-bit digital music and notation programs catch up with 64-bit, I'm skeptical about the need for using 64-bit anything when it comes to music-related stuff right now.)

Thanks Jim, and best of luck Don!

Steve

Thanks everyone for your help....much appreciated .
    Don

There is a benefit to using a 64-bit version of the software and the VSTs. You can access much larger memory that in 32-bit mode. So if you have a 6/8/12/16 Gig machine, you can use all that memory for your VSTs. So for example, I could allocate 3 gig for Aria and multiple instances would have enough room to co-exist. My reading on this is that multiple instances still share memory but everything else is separate.

Go Back to forum