• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Lorax

Share/Bookmark

The Lorax

So last night I saw the Lorax which I really enjoyed (except for the in your face environmentalism, "man evil nature good" themes.) Anyway, while I was watching it there were a couple of times I could've sword I heard Garritan strings. Now I could be wrong (that happens every 7 year or so) but it sure sounded like it. Anyone think the same thing?

-Dane

P.S. I pick up trash on the ground any time I see it.

Re: The Lorax

Not seen it, but I hear virtual library strings and other patches that I recognise on a daily basis on TV and in many films.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Grant View Post
    So last night I saw the Lorax which I really enjoyed (except for the in your face environmentalism, "man evil nature good" themes.) Anyway, while I was watching it there were a couple of times I could've sword I heard Garritan strings. Now I could be wrong (that happens every 7 year or so) but it sure sounded like it. Anyone think the same thing?

-Dane

P.S. I pick up trash on the ground any time I see it.
    Now I really wanna see this - We need more "in your face environmentalism," we really do- !

Garritan strings have long been a staple in soundtrack work, so I'm sure it's possible they're used in this, Dane.

Randy

I don't think so. I'm one of those guys that stays till the end reading credits and it clearly stated that there were orchestrators and real choirs, and I have to imagine real musicians. Maybe it's just that garritan strings sound so real?

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro View Post
    I don't think so. I'm one of those guys that stays till the end reading credits and it clearly stated that there were orchestrators and real choirs, and I have to imagine real musicians. Maybe it's just that garritan strings sound so real?
    Hi, Tradivoro - Orchestrators and musicians were definitely employed for the sound track, but two of the musicians were keyboard players, and Michael John Mollo was the programmer (I just looked at a long list of music credits at IMDb).

Layers of samples and artificial processing are added to live orchestras on a routine basis for film soundtracks. It's the only way to get the currently popular BIG sound.

Some movie recording sessions were recently described to me- Gary Garritan said he was present during the recording session for an orchestra in a really nice hall. But he noticed the engineer was mixing in the sound of a hardware reverb unit at the same time. Gary asked why he was doing that, the engineer said it was one of the secret ingredients for that impossibly huge Hollywood sound.

The other story I'm thinking of is when one of ARIA's programmers was watching a soundtrack being worked on. The engineer was adding layers of string samples to the recording of the live musicians. He was just playing keyboard style chords, even though what he was playing wasn't voiced at all like the actual arrangements. When asked why he was doing that, --same answer as in the story above - Adding those keyboard layers is the only way to get the sound people expect now in movies.

So, even if Garritan samples weren't used in "The Lorax," it's very likely that string samples of some sort were added the way they are for most soundtracks.

Randy

So maybe they did use Garritan after all...

Hey everyone,
    My wife sang in the choir. I can assure you, there were plenty of real musicians.

can't wait to pick up some royalty checks from the mailbox for this one.

GG

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro View Post

Well I guess it was a false alarm. I'm interested in seeing if anyone else thought this though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Grant View Post
    Well I guess it was a false alarm. I'm interested in seeing if anyone else thought this though.
    No, it's not necessarily a "false alarm," Dane. We know there was a real choir and lots of real musicians playing acoustic instruments. As I've been saying, on a routine basis those orchestral tracks are sweetened with samplers and synths on a routine basis nowadays. That's why in the list of music credits there's a "programmer." But there's no way of telling what samplers or synths may have been added.

Randy

Go Back to forum