• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pan and send settings won't stay where I put them

Share/Bookmark

Pan and send settings won't stay where I put them

GPO4 with Logic Pro 9.1.6 64-bit.

I am not wanting to use any of the built in ambiance of the Aria player. So I have all that turned off on the effects page. I have saved my settings as an Aria Preset. Track automation is OFF.

I have pan settings made in the Aria mixer to put everything where I want it.

I have all the sends set to 0.

Whenever I start my song, all the pan settings in Logic's mixer jump to bizarre places. I have checked every track's automation. Nothing. I have looked in the MIDI event log - there are no messages adjusting PAN.

Any ideas what is going on? I need my violins on the left! Any help appreciated.

Re: Pan and send settings won't stay where I put them

BTW - it is the whole Aria player instance that is panning to the right in Logic.... The whole thing goes to +31 every time I start the transport. I have tried having it read automation to keep it at 0, but it still resets.

Hello, niversen

I use Sonar, not Logic, but it sounds like the same thing is happening in Logic that happens in Sonar:

--The MIDI tracks in a project file have volume faders which send out CC7 and pan controls that send out CC10. These, by default (in my reference program, Sonar) control the faders and pan pots in ARIA.

--Even without these CCs being recorded in a project, those controls on the MIDI track are controlling ARIA.

--When setting up a project, one uses the controls in Sonar to set levels and pan positions, not the ones in ARIA.

--There is a way to over-ride that default, but it's easier to just work with the default settings.

So, take a look at the controls in your Logic project file. Those faders and pan knobs must be controlling the ARIA controls, causing your settings to re-set to these unintentional settings in Logic.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hello, niversen

So, take a look at the controls in your Logic project file. Those faders and pan knobs must be controlling the ARIA controls, causing your settings to re-set to these unintentional settings in Logic.

Randy
    Thanks for the quick response. For me it seems to be the opposite. I have all the pan controls set to "0" in Logic, and then when playback starts they shift. They aren't even shifting to the same place as the Aria controls. I think i am going to start a new project, rebuild the Aria instrument multi and try again. Something is wrong in the base template, I think.

I had a similar problem some time ago related to the ARIA folder permissions on OSX and ambience settings not saving. Is it a recent install, and do other areas of ARIA refuse to save settings? The problem you described seems a little different than mine but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by niversen View Post
    ... Something is wrong in the base template, I think.
    Well shoot, sorry what I was talking about wasn't the issue. Where did this template come from you're talking about? Can you load the template by itself and scrutinize what all of its settings are?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Well shoot, sorry what I was talking about wasn't the issue. Where did this template come from you're talking about? Can you load the template by itself and scrutinize what all of its settings are?

Randy
    I just mean my Logic song file. I'm puzzled. It is like there is a ghost in the machine. All I want is for Aria to play the MIDI in the track and then let me mix it. If I could shut all ARIA's controllers off, except for mod wheel, I would at this point. Far from ultimate realism, I'm just trying to get my violins on the correct side of the hall!

I started a fresh session file, and loaded in one sound per ARIA instance - completely ignoring all multitimbral stuff. It STILL does this. I'm at a loss, have things to do, and am stuck in MIDI hell. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by niversen View Post
    I just mean my Logic song file. I'm puzzled. It is like there is a ghost in the machine. All I want is for Aria to play the MIDI in the track and then let me mix it. If I could shut all ARIA's controllers off, except for mod wheel, I would at this point. Far from ultimate realism, I'm just trying to get my violins on the correct side of the hall!

I started a fresh session file, and loaded in one sound per ARIA instance - completely ignoring all multitimbral stuff. It STILL does this. I'm at a loss, have things to do, and am stuck in MIDI hell. Sigh.
    In your first post when you said you didn't want to use ARIA's built in Ambience reverb, I assumed it's because you wanted to use a Logic reverb plugin. Is that the case?--because you have to have at least some reverb or the results will be distractingly, impossibly dry, hurting the power of your music.

So, were you planning on using a reverb bus with the audio tracks having Sends going to that bus?

OR--were you planning on bouncing your MIDI tracks to audio, and then mixing the project from that point on?-- That's a really good way to work - and if that was the plan, then do just some slight adjustments to the way things are working. It's totally mysterious to me what's causing the problems - But to get on with things, record your MIDI tracks to Mono audio tracks, then pan however you want, use the reverb plugin you want etc--Unless the audio panning is screwed up too, and it probably isn't.

Randy

The MIDI is all exported out of Sibelius, and some of the channels are wierd, etc. I think I've got it hacked together enough to work for now, but I am going to have to get some real template file built where everything works. Mucking with signal routing is antithetical to music making.

Nope. Not even. Every time playback starts the Violin II's jump to the far right side and the Viola, go mid left.... In Logic's channel strip. Automation is off, and not helpful when on. I can adjust it mid song, and it stays. Start from the beginning and it is wacked... There's something in the MIDI data, but looking in the event viewer, I can't find it.

Go Back to forum