• Register
  • Help

Topic: A ton of questions...

Share/Bookmark

A ton of questions...

Hi again Steph and Aaron.
    I would like to know in depth any aspects of your foremost sample library, Lyrical Direct (L.D.).
    I've already purchased Ripper Direct and Gunslinger ADi in order to look and hear how your products works.
    I use Kontakt 5 and Reaper 4.
    So, let's begin with my questions about L.D.:
    1) Did you sampled seven strings on a 1994 PRS Custom guitar, right?
    2) If the same note (or chord) can be played on more than one string (obviously at a different high on the fretboard), there is a chance (using L.D.) to choose a specific one, or not?
    3) Do you think to update the appearance of L.D.? Some other similar libraries (that runs on Kontakt) have a virtual interactive (animated) guitar fretboard that show in real time what i play on my MIDI Keyboard or what i write on a piano-roll.
    4) On L.D. you sampled Power Chords, Sus2 and Sus4 Chords, right? If i would like to play other chords can i do this in a convincing way?
    I tried with GunslingerADi to deactivate the "Solo" and "Legato" mode and play some chords but not all of the time all the notes that i play really sounds, sometimes only one on two (the first that i play), the same thing happens on the piano roll, when i write a midi sequence with 5th or 4th chords.
    5) What do you mean whit "Dig 1-4 positions"? I read this on the list of possible articulations in Single Mode.
    6) L.D. playing range goes from low B to... ? What is the playing range of Silverburst?

Thanks in advance.

Re: A ton of questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Sworduigi View Post
    Hi again Steph and Aaron.
    I would like to know in depth any aspects of your foremost sample library, Lyrical Direct (L.D.).
    I've already purchased Ripper Direct and Gunslinger ADi in order to look and hear how your products works.
    I use Kontakt 5 and Reaper 4.
    So, let's begin with my questions about L.D.:

Thanks in advance.
    Hello Sworduigi,

1) Did you sampled seven strings on a 1994 PRS Custom guitar, right?
    Yes, 7 strings. Even though it's 6 string guitar. We changed the strings/setup to a heavier gauge to get the lower range, to like that of a 7 string.

2) If the same note (or chord) can be played on more than one string (obviously at a different high on the fretboard), there is a chance (using L.D.) to choose a specific one, or not?
    The electric guitar samples, don't have that option (our acoustic guitars do) Instead, they have 'sweet' range of more common played positions. While there is a difference between one position and another, we found it wasn't a 'sore thumb' with the sweet keyboard range. This allowed us to work with more articulations without over complicating things.

3) Do you think to update the appearance of L.D.? Some other similar libraries (that runs on Kontakt) have a virtual interactive (animated) guitar fretboard that show in real time what i play on my MIDI Keyboard or what i write on a piano-roll.
    Eventually. Currently we're working recording samples. We also have to keep backwards compatibility in mind. Since we don't currently offer the Kontakt Player with our libraries, we have to keep in mind that not everyone upgrades Kontakt every time they release a new version. So we have to keep this compatible for several versions. You'd be amazed how many people get upset if something doesn't work for their version. Our current backwards compatibility is Kontakt 3.5

4) On L.D. you sampled Power Chords, Sus2 and Sus4 Chords, right? If i would like to play other chords can i do this in a convincing way?
    I tried with GunslingerADi to deactivate the "Solo" and "Legato" mode and play some chords but not all of the time all the notes that i play really sounds, sometimes only one on two (the first that i play), the same thing happens on the piano roll, when i write a midi sequence with 5th or 4th chords.
    You can. You can add notes to chords. you can stack powerchords. you can use Sus4 along side Powerchords (ex: E5= E,B. Bsus4=B,E) There is also scripting for diatonic chords, and also scripting for tweaking the volume with strumming single note sample chords. I will have to check GunADi. It should play more notes.

5) What do you mean whit "Dig 1-4 positions"? I read this on the list of possible articulations in Single Mode.
    Dig is like a Pinch Harmonic, but less pronounced, the playing technique involves turning the pick perpendicular with the strings and digging the pick attack. By moving the picking hand towards the neck or bridge, you bring out different harmonics. By continually picking and moving the picking hand, it creates a flanger like effect. In the eighties, it was call the poor man's flanger. So the Dig 1-4 positions is different picking hand positions. There is also a patch where the different positions change with the mod wheel. Some fun stuff to play with or spice up a track. Ypu've probably already noticed Ripper has some interesting whammy stuff to toy with as well.

6) L.D. playing range goes from low B to... ? What is the playing range of Silverburst?
    LD range goes up to high D (22 fret) as well as Silverburst. Silverburst doesn't have the 7 string like LD does, but it was done in drop D (the library was inspired by Adam Jones of Tool) But there are also some lower tuning patches.

Best regards,
    Aaron

Thank you very much for your patience, Aaron you're very kind.
    I really appreciate your products, i feel a lot of passion behind them.

Best Regards,
    Pierluigi

It's me again.
    I've purchased a copy of Lyrical Direct (unbelievable "spring sale").
    Shizit patches are really good.
    Why did you choose to sacrifice low B and C on "Shizit 2 G1 version 1.07 LDi" and "Shizit 2 G2 version 1.07 LDi"?
    Could you update these two patches, please?

Best regards,

Pierluigi

Hello Pierluigi

Thank you for your purchase.
    The Shizit patch/script was user contributed.
    He had to give up the two low notes to make room for the interval keyswitches
    B=7b, C=8(octave)
    Unfortunately, He placed a password protection on the script and we've have lost contact with him.
    There are Shizit Select patches, that do have the lower two notes however (but no interval function)

Best regards,
    Aaron

Go Back to forum