• Register
  • Help

Topic: Trio for Violin, Clarinet, and Cello (Sirulnikoff)

Share/Bookmark

Trio for Violin, Clarinet, and Cello (Sirulnikoff)

Hi All,

This is a twelve tone piece, written over 50 years ago. All parts are GPO4 with the exception of a lonely glissando which is GPO and KP2 (I was never able to get that function in Aria). There is also some ponticello, which I had to omit.

Trio for Violin, Clarinet, and Cello

I hope you enjoy it.

Regards,

Jack

Re: Trio for Violin, Clarinet, and Cello (Sirulnikoff)

As a 4th generation Schoenbergian student I was very much compelled to take a listen. In college, I composed several works in 12 tone and set theory. I enjoy the medium very much as well as the Trio. One of my favorite pieces in all of music is “A Survivor from Warsaw.”

You composed this over 50 years ago? Has it been performed before? It was exciting to see even though you used rules to write the music, you were able to evoke four different emotions of expressionism. The touches of clarinet solos added contrast, color, and interest. I’m glad that you decided to use that timbre instead of a viola, for example. It helps bring out the row in which the composer has presented as the foundation of his work.
    ~Rodney

Hi Rodney,

Thanks very much for listening, and for your comments. It has only been performed in workshops, and at a Composers Conference at a College. I never actually assigned titles to the sections originally, although I had the character or emotion of the various sections in mind as I was composing it. I use them here as perhaps an assist to the listener. In those days I used to play the clarinet, so that was probably some incentive to use it, but I think it does both blend and contrast well with the two string instruments.

Thanks again ffor your interest.

Best Regards,

Jack

How exciting, Jack, to bring back a piece written so long ago! You have to be rather happy to hear this virtual instrument version of your piece.

12 Tone - Oh my, I distinctly recall my discomfort as a professor tried to instill a love for that in me, - but the lesson didn't quite take. I dutifully put together several rows, composed bits with them, clustering some chords here, stringing the discontinuous notes there - It wasn't very satisfying for me. The process felt cold, and the results so relentlessly random.

But be that as it may, I probably enjoyed this 12 Tone piece of yours as much as I have any!

Glissando? - What controls did you use in KP2 for that? The GPO strings haven't ever had actual Glissando - There's that iffy sounding Portamento which I try to use once in awhile and then discard since the results are so synthy. Tell me what you did for that Gliss!

Thanks, Jack - I always enjoy hearing what you've been up to - even if I have to wait a number of decades!

Randy

Hi Randy,

Thanks for listening.

I'm really referring to pitchbend range. There is a mysterious 'def' that is supposed to incorporate it. I worked with Chad for a while on trying to find it or enable it, but we were unsuccesful. KP2 seems to handle the problem okay, so I left it at that.

All the best.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jacksiru View Post
    Hi Randy,

Thanks for listening.

I'm really referring to pitchbend range. There is a mysterious 'def' that is supposed to incorporate it. I worked with Chad for a while on trying to find it or enable it, but we were unsuccesful. KP2 seems to handle the problem okay, so I left it at that.

All the best.

Jack
    Oh! Yes, I remember some time back when you seemed to not have that control in your ARIA. That is so odd - it's been there in several versions now. Under an instrument's name, first there's "Tune" then the control for that, defaulting to zero. Next is "Def" - then the default audio out of 1/2, and finally the MIDI channel control.

You click "Def" (Define--why didn't they say something more clear, like "Bend"--?), and a menu comes up where you set how far you want pitch to bend either up or down. It's still not there at all for you I guess you're saying. Hmmmm.

Randy

Go Back to forum