• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bipolar - Song from a n00b

Share/Bookmark

Talking Bipolar - Song from a n00b

My first post here. I bought the Garritan IO library the other day because I thought it sounded cool. Anyway I did up this little number in a couple extra hours I had last night.

I call it "Bipolar" and it isn't complete yet but I thought I'd share my first attempt at something.

So have a little listen and comment if you please. Don't confuse me with all that sophisticated musical speak, because I don't understand it. I played the trumpet a long time ago as a kid but other than that I have no formal training or experience in music. This is all point and click composing!

So here's an unfinished piece from a n00b!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40195803/Bipolar.mp3

Re: Bipolar - Song from a n00b

Nice debut, sportyeight! Welcome to the Forum, and thanks for posting the music you're working on. It's off to a great start. I like its somewhat minimalist feel - and don't worry, that's not "sophisticated musical speak"--it's just a term for music relying on the use of few notes, repeating patterns, emphasis on rhythm and pulse.

Keep at it!-- IO was a great purchase to make!

Randy

Thank you for the kind reply, Randy.

I will admit that the main reason I'm doing this is because a friend of mine is working on a no-budget indie movie and wanted some free music. I think I was the only one of his friends who had band class in school...LOL!

I am finding it fun however, and may turn it into a regular hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by sportyeight View Post
    Thank you for the kid reply, Randy.

I will admit that the main reason I'm doing this is because a friend of mine is working on a no-budget indie movie and wanted some free music. I think I was the only one of his friends who had band class in school...LOL!

I am finding it fun however, and may turn it into a regular hobby.
    That's very cool! If the project keeps going, and you find yourself needing help, I bet there are members here who could answer questions, maybe even contribute some tracks for you. Post in General Discussion as needed.

And definitely make music a hobby. It will be very rewarding.

Randy

So which sounds did you use in IO?
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    So which sounds did you use in IO?
    ~Rodney
    Rodney,

Patches are bolded.

It starts off with

Pizzicato Full Strings and Pizzicato Loose Strings are mapped to same channel.
    Marc Sharp Attack Alt 1 and Marc Sharp Attack Alt 2 are mapped to same channel.
    Soft Winds and Brass starts the melody I guess you would call it.

Then Low Brass comes in two measures before it goes minor then
    Wagner Brass takes over the melody and lower harmony while Soft Winds and Brass takes a higher harmony.
    Also the Marc patches from the start have taken over what the Pizz patches were doing.

Only seven patches for five audio tracks.

I hope all that made sense...

Edit: I also ran the render through a compressor on the master bus of my DAW (Reaper)

Makes sense. Keep going! Thanks for taken the time to respond.
    ~Rodney

Welcome to the forum. IO is ton's of fun to play with, and learning the ins and outs of composing/mixing as you go is a great start.

You've already achieved a good sound with your debut there, so keep it up. Look forward to hearing more.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

I had no idea that you could map two different I/O instruments to the same channel and have both retain their initial characteristics.
    I used I/O for “Mist in the Cathedral” (incidental music for a Gothic play produced locally) and it was an instant hit with the audience. I think Garritan may even pick up a few sales from that performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    I had no idea that you could map two different I/O instruments to the same channel and have both retain their initial characteristics...
    You bet, Tom - That's one of IO's basic tricks for sounding so huge, but actually it's one of the oldest MIDI tricks in the book. That was one of the first thing synthesists did - layer banks of hardward synths, all on the same MIDI channel. Playing simple lines, they could sound like they were doing something really complex.

Take a look at some of the IO Ensembles, like "Becoming Grand." All four of the instrument patches are assigned to the same MIDI channel. When you play the keyboard, you get Vibrato Extreme Full Strings, Double Octave Full Strings, Full Winds Unison and Octave Winds Mix.

And of course you can build any kind of layer you want yourself, assigning instruments to the same channel. You can do that in GPO, JABB - and in any multi-timbral sample player/synth, not just ARIA.

Randy

Go Back to forum