• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Peter Ewers Symphonic Organs

Share/Bookmark

Peter Ewers Symphonic Organs

I would just like to say how fantastic Peter Ewers Symphonic Organ Samples are. I am new to this digital sampling business but I must say how incredible it is to be able to play such wonderful sounds via controller keyboards and a PC.

I did agonise about purchasing GiGaStudio and the Symphonic Organs disk, as I was not sure about my PC set-up. However I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my Sound Blaster Live card performs without any noticeable latency when I am playing and the quality of the sound is superb. I did initially have some \"pops\" presumable because of my set-up, although I know not what type my hard disk is it is. However the Windows and hard disk set-up advise and the 2.01 upgrade seems to have resolved this.

My hope now is that Peter Ewers will produce more organ instruments with similar quality and natural reverb as this first disc and Nemesys will continue with the development of GigaStudio and the endless wave technology.

Any interested pianist or organist who wants to play such a remarkable Cathedral Organ, at home, should not hesitate to try it out. I am sure you will get hooked as I have.

Many thanks to all involved and please keep up the good work.

JohnEB

Re: Peter Ewers Symphonic Organs

Hi there,

I got the Peter Ewers Symphonic Organs too. So I got one suggestion: replace your soundbalster with a better soundcard! You can\'t imagine how much the sound quality\'s gonna improve. Believe me. I have that experience.

Deep White

Hi

Thanks for the input. All I have to do is decide which one to go for!!!

Is there any thing that I should be looking for in the sound card specs which will give the improved sound quality you refer to.

JohnEB
    I got the Peter Ewers Symphonic Organs too. So I got one suggestion: replace your soundbalster with a better soundcard! You can\'t imagine how much the sound quality\'s gonna improve. Believe me. I have that experience.

Deep White[/b][/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by JohnEB (edited 07-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by JohnEB (edited 07-29-2000).]

At first I used SB Live, for the latency caused by the old driver of Yamaha DSP Fatory is terrible. The sound is thin and lifeless.

I also tried to connect SB\'s S/PDIF out to Yamaha\'s S/PDIF in. No better.

Then Yamaha\'s got a new driver that cured the latency problem. I played the sound through Yamaha\'s output (AX88) and it sounds a lot better.

After I bought Mixtreme, I first connected the card to its RCA output on the i-box. Only decent quality. Then I connected it to the i-box xlr which had 8 balanced inputs and outputs. Sounds slightly better than Yamaha through AX-88.

I\'m not really sure which tech spec you should look into. I just make sure that the I/O interface I use is balanced.

Deep White

Thanks for the input.

It seems that it may be difficult to access the sound quality of the different sound cards, compared to the 16 bit 44,100 Hertz sb Live, without listening to them.

I am looking at the Layla24 but obviously if the sample is made at 16 bit 44,100 hertz, as the organ samples are, there must be something else which determines the sound quality.

JohnEB

You are very kind! Thanks a lot!!

I sarched many, many hours for good organ samples (i found nothing) so i decided to make them myself.

The Madeleine-Sample were taken during my recordings. So there are only 5 stops. But:

During my last recordings on another fantastic symphonic organ

The Great organ of
    the Leglise Royale Notre-Dame de Laeken in Brussels

i had time enough to take every combination you want as a serious organist. I got over 55 (!!) combinations every tone 30 seconds long, with originaly reverb (pedal tones are 1 minute long) and it is just overwhelming!!

The very different Voix humaines or Voix célestes i sampled every Halftone! This organ is known for its power and richness of colours.

The combinations were kept from every part: Grand-Orgue, Positif, Re´cit and Pedal. I think this is the world biggest library in 20 bit/96Khz of an organ. Compare that with Allan/Rodgers and so on. You will prefer GS.

Best wishes!

Peter Ewers

Wow!!! All I can say to that is “when will you be releasing your next CD of symphonic organ sounds, I can’t wait”?

Will it be released in 20-bit/96khz form and will it be in GigaStudio format?

Best regards

JohnEB

This 44.1k thing reminds me of something. Some people - including myself - think that SBLive processes all audio data in 48k. I got this idea because once I was passing audio through SBLive\'s S/PDIF to Yamaha DSP Factory. There was a lot of noises. Then I found that if I set the DSP card to 48k it was ok. Even when I was playing an audio cd, which was definitely 44.1k. I called Creative Lab and they told me the driver we now had for SBLive cannot playback audio in 44.1k through its S/PDIF output. They also told me that they didn\'t have a plan to work on a new driver to enable this function. So I think it might be true.

Deep White

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JohnEB:
    Wow!!! All I can say to that is “when will you be releasing your next CD of symphonic organ sounds, I can’t wait”?

Will it be released in 20-bit/96khz form and will it be in GigaStudio format?

Best regards

JohnEB
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rickgo:
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I hope this helps;
    I had soundblaster live, it was ok.
    Then I purchased a Delta Dio 2496 sound card, and it sounded much better, I wanted the best quality sound I could get, and I think I found it. It is not a multimedia card like the soundblaster live is
    I cannot play c/d and some audio from games. But this is a minor trade off for this quality of sound. Delta Dio is a professional sound card, that I am very happy with. Hope this helps, Rick

Go Back to forum